Binge eating!

Options
Does anyone have an issue with binge eating?! I am an emotional eater. It is bad because when I am happy I eat...sad, I eat...angry, I eat...ok I just eat...lol. Seriously, I have been doing better with choosing better foods to eat and portion control. I do well and then I binge eat. Any advice?

Replies

• CinthyNair
    Options
    Hmm, it's a tough one. I used to eat anything and everything simply because there were temptation all around the house. Now, I just remove the temptations, and stock up on lots of fruits and vegetables. So, if I ever feel like binging, i binge on healthier food now :) If you want to feel full, you can also munch on organic nuts and seeds such as walnuts, almonds, cashews etc.

289746.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • genma1987
    genma1987 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat....emotional binge eating. Stress at work and at home are my 2 biggest triggers. Once you find your triggers, it's easier to resist. Just keep reminding yourself why you don't want to binge, why you DO want to eat healthy and be healthy. I still have times that I fall off the wagon....but I just get right back on. Hang in there, if you have friends and family to help support, use them, too, for that support.
  • kandyroyal
    kandyroyal Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    They say exercise changes our mood swings. Maybe try going out for a quick walk when you feel like binge eating. Exercise helps curb apetite too.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Binge eating typically happens in front of the TV (at least for me) so try finding something else to do if you get the craving....go find a book to read (it's hard to hold the book and eat at the same time, lol) or go for a walk.

Also, don't buy the yummy binge-eating type foods in the first place, if they're not in the house, your less likely to get your hands on them. And if the attack is too fierce to hold off, binging on something like carrot stick won't be so bad.
  • silvertears
    silvertears Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I'm a terrible binge eater. For example, after having my last daughter, I was very emotional and stressed out and I gained more weight AFTER I had her than I did my entire pregnancy. I have to schedule my workouts at the time I would normally binge eat... after my kids went to bed. Our computer is in the kitchen and I would seriously just sit here and eat, get up , find more food, eat, get up.... until bedtime. But now it just doesn't feel right to me to stuff my face after a work out.
  • njjswim
    njjswim Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I just ate like that last night and it was just over cooking dinner and all the stress of homework, bedtime routines with the kids etc. So tonight I got on the treadmill, lifted weights etc anything to just not sit and eat. I had a much better night. Also water plays a role. I drank water to ensure I was filling up my stomach since dinner so I would not slide back. Good luck stress eating is very common...
  • Orman0234
    Options
    In my experience, what leads to bingeing is depriving myself of the foods that I would normally binge on. I tend to label these foods "bad" and so I completely take them out of my diet. By doing this, all I can think about are these "bad" foods. And so, when life gets tough, I find myself going to the cupboard (or the store if I don't have any at home) to find those foods and I end up eating the entire package/box/bag, whatever.

What has worked for me, is taking the label off the food. Instead I have no "bad" foods. I let myself have some of those foods every couple days so that then I am not craving them at all hours of the day!
  • auntbliz
    auntbliz Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I was JUST thinking about this tonight! I totally fell off the wagon, and when I binge, I tend to get the mindset of "Well, I've already screwed it up, might as well go all the way.." I'm a hormonal binger, so times of the month play a bigger part for me than emotions. I am usually pretty good because I try not to keep many temptations in the house anymore, and I do some light exercise at night before I'm most tempted, and drink plenty of water with that so I feel full. I've also found it helpful to chew gum or brush my teeth when I want to eat inappropriately. I've pretty much given myself over to the fact that it will happen, so now I just try to think, "Well, rather than binging every night or week, at least I'm only doing it once a month, so I'm making progress!"