I don't know what to eat!

Options
So I am a poor college student and don't have so much money to buy "good" food. Any suggestions on what to get that is cheap? frozen chicken breast everyday is not what my family likes I have a hard time finding a chicken dish they like at all let alone 7 lol and no one eats fish except salmon... and so poor college student cant make more than 1 meal a day. (dinner wise) We use to eat a lot of ground meat and canned veggies and pasta. :frown: I am going to miss pasta! I will have to cut all carbs out some days so that I can have pasta for dinner now and again! HELP PLEASE!:cry:

Replies

• Saiklor
    Saiklor Posts: 183
    Options
    You don't have to cut out anything, just try and do portion control! When I make pasta I make about 1/2 cup of pasta per person and then I bulk it out with diced steamed veggies. I smother it in tomato sauce and honestly, I don't MISS the pasta at all!

Fresh veggies are a place to start. What about doing a salad with some sliced pork on top? I pan-fry pork chops in a bit of orange juice and they are yummy! Toss in some diced apple and a simple dressing and it's great.

What about doing soup?

What about switching from chicken breasts (EXPENSIVE!) to chicken thighs? That extra cash will buy you some fresh asparagus to serve on the side.

What about buying in bulk and repackaging and freezing the extra?
  • Jacole18
    Jacole18 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    any kind of beans are cheap and full of protein.
  • returntorural
    returntorural Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    You could try grains and beans. They are affordable and healthy and with vegetables added make easy meals. Buy in bulk and buy a variety. Don't forget herbs and seasonings are available in bulk as well. That's a good way to add a lot of flavour without adding calories.

I am also on a tight budget and find that weighing and measuring my meals has helped not only with portion control but with the grocery budget as well.

Good luck and happy cooking!
  • krislshoe
    krislshoe Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    canned tuna is pretty cheap too.....buying fruit in season helps lower the price as well...I just bought a seedless watermelon for 3.99...i will not pay more than that for a watermelon...just watch your local fliers for sales and buy in bulk when things are on sale
  • tnrunningnurse
    tnrunningnurse Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Canned veggies with the exception of beans and tomatoes have zero nutrional value. Fresh or frozen the way to go. Buy only what you will eat so nothing goes to waste. Get online and research healthy and cheap recipes. Jenni-o turkey is a good resource. Research is your key....there are no shortcuts. Google healthy recipes and you will be surprised at what you can do on a budget.
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    Brown rice is nutritious and inexpensive. It can be combined with almost anything.

An easy chicken dish that I like is chicken and yellow rice. Boiled chicken, torn up, mix in with yellow rice and early peas. It tastes a lot better than it sounds and it's pretty cheap to make.

There is a gazillion things you can do with tuna.
  • mom2mozart
    mom2mozart Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I love pork loin and buy it whenever there is a sale - i cook it in a variety of ways - slathered in Mrs. Dash and grilled, in a crockpot with saurkraut, pan seared with bbq sauce, or just sauteed with some salt, pepper, onion and garlic powder. It is a great lean protein - and can be relatively inexpensive if purchased on sale. Chicken hot dogs are relatively inexpensive and only 70 calories for the Gualtney brand (perhaps not the healthiest option, but low in calories and high in flavor). I buy extra lean ground turkey and use it in tomato sauce - over spaghetti squash it is fantastic!!! (spaghetti squash has 43 calories per cup versus 200 calories for pasta - and it counts as 2 vegetable servings.) I also make stuffed peppers, stuffed zucchini, Shepherds Pie, sloppy joes... Reduced sodium ham steaks are great with steamed cabbage, a few cut up red skinned potatoes, and some baby carrots - all steamed together. Don't forget about mini-bagel pizza's (also delicious and relatively in-expensive). You can make soup with leftover meats and vegetables and serve with a toasted reduced fat cheese sandwich, Eggs are good for a change of pace too. We eat breakfast for dinner once in a while. Egg salad sandwiches are a favorite in our house. Tuna fish can be inexpensive (I personally don't like it, but to each their own).
  • WannaLoseit101114
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone!! I find everyone so very helpful here! I was struggling alone and now I am getting so much help and it is great! I know I can do it with the help of all of you wonderful people! :smile:
  • cheesy_blasters
    cheesy_blasters Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Agreed with beans. There are so many of them and SO CHEAP. You can do healthy versions of chili, tacos (I make mine in lettuce or cabbage leave then use brown rice, beans and veggies), healthy nachos (bake pita bread, add beans, veggies and put a tiny bit of parm cheese on top). I find tofu quite cheap in my area too (compared to meat) so I'll use that in pasta sauce or stir fry with my meat eating friends and they seem to enjoy it.