MFPers with SAD

Options
Hi everyone, I was just wondering if anyone else on here suffered from SAD during the winter months. Its started to get cold her, and i can feel it coming on :-\ . Does anyone have any suggestions for dealing with those starchy craving and or finding the motivation to exercise and stay on track? Thanks for you're help!

Replies

• sonialynnt
    Options
    What I do is drink hot tea and chew either peppermint or spearmint gum. After you chew those flavors you do not want to really eat. It is getting colder here also and that is what I do to help me out especially in the evenings. I hope this helps some or at least give you an idea.
  • jukramer
    jukramer Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I have SAD, and I have been using light therapy. I will start using it soon (my starting point is usually the time change) and use it until February or March. Believe it or not, and I was a skeptic, it works. Not only does your mood improve, but it actually curbs my carb cravings and kind of returns me back to "normal" as far as eating right and exercising. I didn't use it last year (long story - I thought I was cured) and ended up gaining 15 ponds and on antidepressants. So needless to say, this year, I'm back on the light therapy. Let me know if you want more info. (I sound like an infomercial!)
  • metsgirl31
    Options
    Thanks!

jukramer- can I message you more about the light?
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    Hi Metsgirl,

I too have suffered from SAD type symptoms (never officially diagnosed).

First, have you considered getting a SAD light. They have helped several people that I know.

Every year I feel like I am an actor in a Greek mythology play. I am Demeter mourning the loss of Persophenes! I see the fall leaves and they are so beautiful but I also know what is coming and I dread it!

Last year was the first year that I did not go too crazy and I attribute it to two main things. First, I forced myself to exercise almost everyday. Next at least three times per week I would use the steam room or sauna at our gym. I would mentally relax and visualize being on a nice beach.

This year, I plan to check out a Sunlight room. I am not sure of the price yet but it might be worth a try.

My last suggestion is to do some research on Vitamin D.

I am from the Buffalo NY area and we have very few sunny days. Without the sun your skin cannot make Vit D and you need to supplement. Most people in our area are deficient and more and more doctors are starting to test for it.

Feel free to write to me any time!!! We can support each other and if that fails we can plan a vacation to Florida together!

DD
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    jukramer....I posted before I saw your reply. Can you post on this thread. Which light did you buy, Cost, etc.
  • jukramer
    Options
    Of course!
  • metsgirl31
    Options
    I did look into some vitamin D, but i read a lot of different opinions on how much to take. The bottle I have each tablet is 400 UI, so i've been taking one a day, which some articles say is too much, but others say that you should have 1,000 UI

Thanks so much for the support everyone, its nice to know that other people understand what its like!
  • jukramer
    Options
    I have a light that's 5 years old. I found it on overstock.com for $89.00 (I think I paid close to $200 for it back then.) The model I have is the Philips GoLite P1. The new version is the M2. The M2 has a rechargeable battery; mine does not. When I got my light, I went to a website and took an assessment that told me when and how I should use my light. The website is golite.philips.com. So you take the assessment, and they tell you when and how to use the light. I notice a difference (easier to get up and mood improvement) after 3-5 days, and after a week or so, I notice the eating going back to normal and my activity level increase.
    So basically, I get up 15 or 20 minutes earlier in the morning, sit in front of the light and watch the news or do a crossword or something. You just have to have your eyes open so the light can enter.
    It sounds crazy. How can light make you eat less? But I was at the end of my rope 5 years ago, and it was either that or see a therapist, so I thought I would try that first. It's really amazing.
    Any other questions?
  • 1Sweets
    1Sweets Posts: 395
    Options
    This light sounds very interesting....my mom lives in OR & she was just told to take vitamin D. Apparently not enough sun there or maybe b/c she's a diabetic? :noway:

Anyway...I don't know if I have SAD but already I've noticed the cold coming on & I want to nest which means FOOD!!! I just had to work off 10 of those hershey miniatures. I wouldn't normal have them around but I have a Balloon Delivery Business & my customer requested chocolate & I sneak into them like a little piggy.:tongue:

I'm going to check out that website & see if this will help my late evening cravings for goodies.

Thanks for the info:drinker:
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    A while back I was seeing a therapist, and she totally recommended light therapy for me. I have a hard time with winter months, I don't like dark and gloomy. It messes me up! I haven't had the money to get a light therapy box....but I'd like to. Good luck!
  • Sunsh1ne
    Sunsh1ne Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    Thanks, that was really helpful. I've had SAD symptoms for years, and they've been getting worse. I am not looking forward to thisl year. =(
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Each year, SAD seems to hit me harder and harder. I say we all pack up and head to California.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I have a light that's 5 years old. I found it on overstock.com for $89.00 (I think I paid close to $200 for it back then.) The model I have is the Philips GoLite P1. The new version is the M2. The M2 has a rechargeable battery; mine does not. When I got my light, I went to a website and took an assessment that told me when and how I should use my light. The website is golite.philips.com. So you take the assessment, and they tell you when and how to use the light. I notice a difference (easier to get up and mood improvement) after 3-5 days, and after a week or so, I notice the eating going back to normal and my activity level increase.
    So basically, I get up 15 or 20 minutes earlier in the morning, sit in front of the light and watch the news or do a crossword or something. You just have to have your eyes open so the light can enter.
    It sounds crazy. How can light make you eat less? But I was at the end of my rope 5 years ago, and it was either that or see a therapist, so I thought I would try that first. It's really amazing.
    Any other questions?

I need one of those ASAP.
  • bikermama
    Options
    If you decide to try vitamin d you can always ask the dr. to test your vitamin d levels. i have fibromyalgia and i take 2000 iu of vitamin d a day. it has made a world of difference. i still have some pain on rainy gloomy days but it is beareable. my dr. tested my vitamin d levels anything below 50 tend to have fibromyalgia symptoms. It took about 2 1/2 months for me to feel better. after a year my levels were up around 75. i still take vitamin d and try to get some sunshine each day, the recommended time for sunshine is between 15 and 30 minutes. thedepression that goes with fibromyalgia is also better.
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    Each year, SAD seems to hit me harder and harder. I say we all pack up and head to California.

I lived in California for years, and it was wonderful! I could tell though, those very few days where it was gloomy and dark and rainy, my mood went down the drain...
  • 1Sweets
    Options
    Found the Sunlight on Ebay for around $49.00 on up with Free Shipping too! I live in Santa Cruz, CA and believe it or not we have our dark, depressing days here too:sad: . Here is the info on Ebay:

Sunlight 365 Portable Mood Light mimics natural sunlight. Turn on bright artificial sunshine to help lift your mood on a dark winter day. Many experts believe that light therapy helps people cope with seasonal affective disorder (SAD).

This compact sunlight lamp contains 35 blue LEDs and is chemical- and UV-free. Includes intensity adjustment, countdown timer, clock, power adapter, and storage pouch.

Dimensions: 2.5" x 5" x 0.75" deep; weighs 10 ounces. 120 volts; 60" power cord; UL approved. 90-day mfg. warranty.

Sunlight without harmful UV rays! The Zadro SUN365 Sunlight Portable Mood Light is a light that mimics natural sunlight. It is designed specifically to produce the wavelengths of light in order to give user the appearance of artificial sun. Light regulates our lives. We wake up with the light and go to sleep when it is dark. Natural sunlight rebalances our melatonin and serotonin. During winter months when there is not a lot of natural sunlight people can feel tired, depressed and experience sleep disorders. A bright light in a sunlight frequency can help as your brain perceives it as a natural sunlight.
  • Simplicity
    Simplicity Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I get this at some point a little every year. I couldn't say I have SAD but like many others the winter affects me more than just the coldness.
    I don't know why but this year I feel really good all the time down to weight loss and confidence i reckon, Hoping it makes this winter more enjoyable.

I feel myself turning already though lol. Only again because it seems like England didn't have a summer.:smile:
  • metsgirl31
    Options
    Awesome, thanks everyone!

I'll definitely have to check out that website and that light. I'm in the northeast (from NJ, in school in MA), and the cold came on so fast!
  • jukramer
    Options
    I feel like we didn't have a summer here either. (I'm in Chicago.) Or a fall. I had to rush out and buy my daughter a winter coat during the first week of OCTOBER. That is too early. And if it's going to be a cool rainy summer, then we should at least have a decent fall. It's been in the 40s here. Although yesterday it was 65 and I almost cried with happiness as I did some fall gardening.

Coincidentally, my husband asked me last night when I was going to start my light. I'm not sure if that was a gentle hint, or he's trying to be proactive. I suffer from true depression without it. SO, I will be starting the light tomorrow - have to find where I put it!
  • 1Sweets
    Options
    My son & I love the winter months....love to hear the rain on our sky light especially at night. It puts you to sleep. Ride my recumbent bike with a fire going.:heart:

How about walking the mall during this time...they usually have music & you can watch all the fun people there & see what's coming out in the stores...then order a salad for lunch.:glasses:

Meet a friend for coffee in a cozy coffee house? Bowling on these kinds of days would be fun too.

Brain storming here (no pun):smokin: