Lose 100 lb in 6 months?

Options
Has anyone done this or how long did it take you to lose? What did your diet/exercise routine look like/caloric intake?

Replies

• KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I really don't think this is healthy, and if you can accomplish it, it may not stay off.. Don't hurt yourself, give yourself time. 1-2 pounds is said to be a healthy weight loss/week that will also allow a person to keep the weight off.
  • surimurphy
    surimurphy Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I don't see how you could do this safely.? It has been five months since I started my exercise/life change routine and I have lost 40 pounds for an average of 2 pounds a week. I think that is pretty typical.
  • btanton27
    btanton27 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    i've lost 58 lbs in a little over 3 months so it IS possible. i started out over 350 lbs though so i think it is easier in the beginning to lose weight faster. my biggest change in my diet was cutting out soda and fast food. not saying i havent ate out a single time since i started this! i log everything i eat and will usually see where im at for my daily totals to budget what i eat for dinner or whatnot. i have aqua aerobics for an hour 2x a week and i usually try to walk or use my elliptical trainer 2x a week. i dont stress about it :) and so far its working!
  • guardian419
    guardian419 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    It's something to strive for, as long as you're healthy in your diet and exercise, but I'd recommend not making that your goal. Try for non-scale goals first, like getting your diet and exercise routine started, track your calories every day honestly for a week or two (if you're not already doing these things) and from there, try for scale victories like 15lbs lost in 2 months, but remember... with exercise you're not just losing fat, but building muscle... so take your measurements as well, because you'll notice that before you really notice a big difference on the scale
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I think it *can* be done, but not if 100 pounds is the total amount one has to lose.

Someone with 200 pounds to lose can conceivably lose 100 pounds in six months, but they won't lose the next 100 in another six months. It all boils down to a percentage of total body weight.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    Unless you have Jillian at your side 24/7 or have had bariatric surgery, I believe you would be setting yourself up to fail if you set 100 pounds/6 months as a goal.
  • rigdonia
    rigdonia Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I lost 70 pounds in about four months once. We hired a personal trainer, worked out five days a week for an hour, and ate a diet he made up for us. The diet was basic - just a calorie load that was less than what I was burning. He added things like brown rice and fresh vegetables and plain pop corn etc. for bulk so that I wouldn't feel hungry. I lost ten pounds in the first week and kept losing about two per week. The workouts were a five to ten minute cardio warmup, stretches, weights, and then a 30 min cardio session. He varied the workout every other week to keep it challenging for my body and interesting for my brain.

I wish I could do it again, but now I have rheumatoid arthritis and I just can't work at that same level anymore. I put all my weight back on because of it. However, I am starting again with losing weight and have lost 10 in two weeks just keeping my calories under my calorie goal and making smart choices for low cal filling meals. I am hoping to get back into weight training, but I will have to go for lower weights and higher reps because of the RA and I'll have to go every other instead of every day. Bless you in your efforts.
  • LeanMeanFitnessMachine
    Options
    Depending on just how much you have to lose - possibly. But its definitely not the healthiest weight loss goal & might result in stretch marks from losing the weight so quickly or loose skin. I'd reccommend 100 pound loss in 12 months (1year).

Just my opinion!
  • davidmcgowan1987
    Options
    ... well ... its possible, but your talking a 1900 calorie defecit per day, every day, for 6 straight months...

theres only 1 way to get that kind of defecit, and its hard work...

sweat it out.

michael phelps has to eat 12k calories per day to keep up with his training so its possible to get a 5k routine (bmr + exercise to hit 5k) then only eat 3k calories...

but man if it isnt gonna juice your kidneys....
  • biggsexy7
    biggsexy7 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I had a bad wreck that after I recovered left me way over weight. I lost 80 lbs in 6 months and reached my goal. You have to eat right and I worked out twice a day. I've noticed if you do cardio in the morning it gets your body burning calories all day more.
  • superstankazz
    Options
    If you're really obese, like 600 pounds, you could probably lose 100 pounds in 6 months. But if you're just 100 pounds overweight, you probably cannot lose 100 lbs in 6 months safely. Go for slow and steady, you'll be more likely to keep it off:)
  • skcornett
    skcornett Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    It has taken me 10 months to lose 80 lbs. I work out with a trainer 3 times per week and do something another day or two during the week. I've changed my eating habits.

I was losing like gangbusters - 2 lbs a week every week - until March and it has slowed down. Still losing, but not as quickly and that was anticipated.

It would be tough, but you should also prepare yourself to accept whatever your results are at the end of 6 months in case you don't hit 100. Remember.....it's a marathon, not a sprint.
  • 4ALongerLife
    4ALongerLife Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Well I can tell you that bariatric surgery is NOT the cure all. I've had gastric sleeve surgery and after a month of hospitalizations (due to complications that occur in 1% of the sleeved population), I DID lose 50 lbs. But I'm stuck mostly since. And I wouldn't wish that diet for the month of my unfortunate hospitalization on anyone.

I record everything I eat and still am stuck with "up a lb./down a lb" each week. There is no magic cure all. It takes time, patience, mixing it up physically and in eating, getting a lot of water in and relaxing about it.

Surgery might help, as it has with me, but it's not a magic wand - that I can assure you! I have ost about half to my goal and some days, IDK if I'll get to the other side of the half I still have to lose.

You are more than welcome to add me as a friend on here, I share my daily journals. Mr. dr. has said to stay b/w 1200-1400 calories and you will lost 1-1.5 lbs a week which is manageable. I've had my goal thru MFP for daily caloric intake at 1100 and I work out about 5 times on average a week, but I am trying for 7 days a week. I just burn out if I do it too much and am trying to find ways to "mix it up" to get that activity in thru daily activities instead of just gym time, but it's a struggle. Even WITH surgery, it's a struggle. But I am eating much less and much more cognizant of what goes into my mouth (i.e. protein, water, sugars, sodium) and I don't cheat where as before I would want to.

I just want to be "normal" wtheva that is! lol
  • coraliethomas
    coraliethomas Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Well I can tell you that bariatric surgery is NOT the cure all. I've had gastric sleeve surgery and after a month of hospitalizations (due to complications that occur in 1% of the sleeved population), I DID lose 50 lbs. But I'm stuck mostly since. And I wouldn't wish that diet for the month of my unfortunate hospitalization on anyone.

I record everything I eat and still am stuck with "up a lb./down a lb" each week. There is no magic cure all. It takes time, patience, mixing it up physically and in eating, getting a lot of water in and relaxing about it.

Surgery might help, as it has with me, but it's not a magic wand - that I can assure you! I have ost about half to my goal and some days, IDK if I'll get to the other side of the half I still have to lose.

You are more than welcome to add me as a friend on here, I share my daily journals. Mr. dr. has said to stay b/w 1200-1400 calories and you will lost 1-1.5 lbs a week which is manageable. I've had my goal thru MFP for daily caloric intake at 1100 and I work out about 5 times on average a week, but I am trying for 7 days a week. I just burn out if I do it too much and am trying to find ways to "mix it up" to get that activity in thru daily activities instead of just gym time, but it's a struggle. Even WITH surgery, it's a struggle. But I am eating much less and much more cognizant of what goes into my mouth (i.e. protein, water, sugars, sodium) and I don't cheat where as before I would want to.

I just want to be "normal" wtheva that is! lol

My hairdresser had the surgery, lost a bunch of weight, and then somehow managed to put it all back on. If you do not teach yourself WHAT to eat, and how much of it to eat, you will never be able to keep that weight off,
  • TamaraGraceS
    TamaraGraceS Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I go weeks and sometimes months without a loss! But I keep my head down and push through! Nobody is taking this from me. I have lost 89 lbs and it has been slow but I learn more about me when i don't loose. So I am good with it!
  • toriann143
    toriann143 Posts: 64
    Options
    i've lost 58 lbs in a little over 3 months so it IS possible. i started out over 350 lbs though so i think it is easier in the beginning to lose weight faster. my biggest change in my diet was cutting out soda and fast food. not saying i havent ate out a single time since i started this! i log everything i eat and will usually see where im at for my daily totals to budget what i eat for dinner or whatnot. i have aqua aerobics for an hour 2x a week and i usually try to walk or use my elliptical trainer 2x a week. i dont stress about it :) and so far its working!

I'm there with you!! I have lost 80 lbs since January - and I started at 293. I eat my cals and I exercise everyday! I do elliptical and zumba. I exercise twice a day. The morning is the best time for me, but everyone is different! Each person and each body is different. I would take it one day at a time.

here is a post I did yesterday with pics - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/617466-80-lbs-lost-with-pics-halfway-there
  • TeddyBear47
    TeddyBear47 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Hi I am at the 5 month mark, lost 94 lbs so far. I started at 340lbs so for me the weight came off because of my super obesity. Even after the 94lbs I'm still obese. I think it depends on how heavy you are to start with.

My routine, 1500 calories a day, Treadmil 6 days a week at 3.7 MPH and a 7 degree incline for 1 hr. Lift 3 days a week.

I don't eat my exercise calories back. Hope this helps
  • airlily
    airlily Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    You can do it. You'll be tired and a bit moody, though. It feels better, and is probably better for you, when you just aim for about 2.5 pounds per week, instead. Sometimes, I'll lose only 2 pounds in one week, or nothing at all, but then the next week, I'll lose 5 pounds.

Don't put time limits on yourself. That's what will do you in. It's a lifestyle change, and new habit creations. :)
  • candyrayne215
    candyrayne215 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    100lbs i 6 months would involve gastric bypass and or crack cocaine.....
  • MonicaT1972
    MonicaT1972 Posts: 512
    Options
    It might sound unrealistic, and it is an unrealistic goal to set, you might be setting yourself up for disappointment.

That said, I have lost 60lbs in 4 months and 2 weeks so if I keep the same pace I could do 100lbs in 6 months. But I was planing on 120 lbs in 1 year as a realistic goal.