Night eating

Options
Grrrr. Gained back 3 pounds this week. It's the darn night eating! I work 10 hours, keep a good diary until I come home (exhausted) at 8 p.m., and then seem to lose control over my eating until I go to bed around 10:30 or 11:00. Any suggestions?:ohwell:

Replies

• sniperzzzz
    sniperzzzz Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Yea a very simple suggestion, space out your calories and save your biggest meal till last.
  • mamitosami
    mamitosami Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I eat very lightly (if at all) during the day. I save all my calories for later on when I have the most trouble resisting food.
  • RedWeb
    RedWeb Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    You sound new to this. Perhaps your body is still adjusting. Three pounds gained in a week would take a lot of overeating. You need to find what works for you and stick to it. If you truly want to lose weight you will. Need to be disciplined. That's something only you can really deal with.
  • kejurek
    kejurek Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I struggle with that too :-/ ..My problem is I just love food. When you get back from work and you're hungry it's so hard to stop eating. You had a long day and all you want to do is relax and eat! It sucks. However, I have found several strategies that help me stay out of the fridge and prevent binging. I agree with everyone else, it definitely will help if you save more calories for the end of the day and I also have found that if I drink lots of water before I want to eat I'm not as hungry and in turn I’ll eat less. Also I'm a huge fan of almonds and other nuts, not sure if you are but surprisingly snacking on some of those at night help fight the food cravings. Ok now this is going to sound silly but this helps me. Some visual motivators help me stay on track. Check this picture out.

239957486365608297_x1yqvQID_f.jpg

Hopefully you can see that picture. I put those jars on top of my refrigerator and you’d be surprised how much that helps. When you want to lose control you look up there and see those jars. It is not fun putting pebbles back into the “pounds to lose jar.”

Hope that helps!
  • petramartin
    Options
    I love the jars ,great idea :)
  • jlmoses91
    jlmoses91 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I would try bringing a snack and leaving it in my car so on he way home I could eat it, at least that way you wouldn't feel as hungry when you got home and go crazy! Worked for me
  • vltaylor35
    vltaylor35 Posts: 72
    Options
    i do the opposite to what others have advised. i purposely use up most of my calories in the day leaving just enough for my dinner and possibly a piece of fruit or very small snack in the evening. i try to make lunch my biggest meal of the day so that when i get home i'm not too hungry. also, i really hate to go over my calorie goal so only having a few left keeps me from binging
  • tobnrn
    tobnrn Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Yea a very simple suggestion, space out your calories and save your biggest meal till last.

^^^This^^^. You don't have to eat 3 meals a day + snacks. Just make sure your eating your calories.
  • davidmcgowan1987
    Options
    When i was working long shifts at a busy nightclub i would eat healthy and low all day, drink gallons of water (running around basically doing low intensity cardio for 6 hours straight) then tuck into a massive kebab and a few beers!

because i kept busy all day i didnt get hungry, then once i ate the massive meal, i walked 3 miles home to give time for digestion...

then fell into bed around 6am to rinse and repeat

got down to 16stone (225lb) but then put it all back on once i moved to a sedentary job
  • amyrchester
    Options
    THANK YOU for all the wonderful suggestions! I love the jar/stones idea! You have helped me more than you may know--I was feeling like giving up but now will keep on trying!!
  • amyrchester
    Options
    Yes, I'm new at this and thanks again for the support and great suggestions!
  • businessmajor1
    Options
    i really like dis idea...i think amma try dis!
  • kejurek
    kejurek Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear it :)
  • Brittonloves
    Options
    I struggle with the same thing, especially because I work "strange" hours and am always awake until the next day has technically started! I'm only a few days into doing it this way, but I already LOVE planning my days/meals ahead of time. Knowing that I am more comfortable when I eat the bulk of my calories later in the day/night, I planned my food accordingly. Yesterday, for instance, I had snacks throughout the day and a light sandwich for lunch, and I saved almost 700 calories for my dinner and late night snack. I didn't feel deprived at all throughout the day because I was snacking, and I didn't feel like I couldn't relax with my food the way I wanted at night because it was all a part of the plan.