DON'T "Just Do It"

Options

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    If they've come to this forum they probably need a strategy for how to avoid eating that carton of ice cream. Maybe they shouldn't buy it. Maybe they should put it in a separate freezer. Maybe they should switch to low-fat sherbert. They are looking for advice more fleshed-out than "Just Do It," "Suck It Up," "Power Through It," or "Buck Up."

Are you telling me that you don't have things in your life whose solution intellectually are not that difficult, but about which you balk for some reason? Most people have something. Doesn't have to be dieting or exercise.

Of course I do. I have depression and anxiety... there's been times in my life where getting out of bed was a struggle. And what I've learned is that all of it comes down to making a CHOICE. I could choose to let my diagnosis define me, or I could do something about it.

Anyone who has success - in weight loss or at anything else in life - got it because they chose to go for it. They made it happen. "Just do it" as an oversimplification, but at the same time... it really is that simple. Until someone is ready to make that choice, nothing else is going to work. You have to find your inner strength. If I could pinpoint to someone else exactly HOW to find that inner strength, I'd be one weathy mo-fo!
  • davidmcgowan1987
    Options
    I guess it depends on what people mean by "it"

if they mean the process then yes... just do it...

if they mean the end result well then its just not that simple...

frabz-One-does-not-simply-do-it-e757c3.jpg
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    We had a Nike logo with "Just Do It" in my high school sex ed class. Amusing, but I was not amused.
  • tedwalsh
    tedwalsh Posts: 5
    Options
    Actually, I think 'Just Do It!' doesn't have to have any association with a sports brand. It doesn't have to be a negative thing to say to someone who needs support either. If you find that someone saying 'Just Do It' to you is demotivating, or indeed "pisses you off", then you are the one who is responsible for your own demise. Just the fact that someone has said something to you, noticed that you need help or is prepared to spend time with you understanding your issues is the motivating factor, even if at the end of it all they say "Just Do It'. You just haven't seen the good in what they have done.

I have learned that the only thing standing in the way of my success is me. I'm sure there are others of you out there who understand and recognise all the excuses we have all made in the past as a reason for not having done something constructive to lose weight. It took me 35 years of having issues with my weight to understand this.

A colleague once told me that life begins at the edge of your comfort zone and I take so much inspiration from that. I have now lost 41lb since the end of January. My blood glucose is now at a normal level and I am not pre-diabetic anymore. My Cholesterol is within the normal range whereas before it was in the red zone. I have to continue my weight loss to be able to come off hypertension meds, and I intend to do it. I am enjoying feeling better, having fewer problems with mobility, looking better, wearing fashionable clothes and I want this to continue.

Guys, sometimes you just have to do it. It's a pain in the *kitten*, it's difficult, sometimes it's a lot easier and it all depends on your mood. But what is the alternative? Be overweight, unhealthy, unhappy and miserable again? Not for me thank you.

Stop getting in your own way and make a start.
  • ScottiePP7
    ScottiePP7 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Speaking for myself here and not anyone else...

Just Do It - its the only motivation that works for me. Someone telling me some magical day 12 months from now I will be at the weight at want to be it and all that time in the middle won't be that hard if you just rely on each other and think positive doesn't work for me.

What works for me is realizing the hard truth. It took me 30 years to get 100 pounds over weight, its not going to be easy to get 100 pounds lower in 6 months, 12 months, 24 months or 30 years. The truth is, if this is something I want, I will have to bust my *kitten* day in and day out. If I don't want to each grilled chicken when everyone else has pizza then too bad. I shouldn't have had 5 slices when everyone had 2 at some random dinner 5 years ago. I went way too far down one path and now I need to give my all to going in the other direction. Can anyone give me good motivation to that?

I doubt it.

Sometimes you have to "just do it".
  • LCunkle83
    LCunkle83 Posts: 179
    Options
    It took a lot of crying in dressing rooms, ignoring myself in the mirror because I hated what I saw, and friends and my hubby pushing me to be "myself" again. In the last 2 years I have put on over 30 lbs... It was super depressing! .. about three weeks ago, I decided enough was enough and I just needed to get this weight off and be done with it. No more crash diets, no magic pills, just pure hard work and changing my eating habits!

I "just did it!!" will you?

Starting weight - 198lbs
    Current weight - 186lbs
    1st goal weight - 165lbs
    2nd goal weight - 150lbs
  • ScottiePP7
    ScottiePP7 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am adding this link, Im not sure if it deserves its own thread but this seems like a good spot for it. I use this for motivation but all it adds up to is "Just Do It"

Warning, it has some rough language so if that bothers you do not click on it. It's also designed for people who want to get shredded but I find the principles apply to me as well (currently 290, started at 335).

http://jasonferruggia.com/the-main-ingredient/
  • getwhatugive
    Options
    Ummm, Get er dun! Accent mandatory
  • Missmissy0003
    Missmissy0003 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    The phrase absolutely works for me. I can make up a million excuses of why I can't work out and often want to look to others for motivation. Being told to just do it seems to put it in a better perspective for me. And I have not been a fan of Nike for a long, long time.
  • Missmissy0003
    Missmissy0003 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Oops double posted
  • LAWoman79
    LAWoman79 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Well, I think for some people, having someone say "JUST DO IT" is motivating.

Agreed. I'm better with people yelling at me to do it. I have to tell myself the same thing everyday.
  • emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    Options
    I say that because that is what needs to happen! You literally just do it. You can't always sit and prepare yourself, or find motivation sometimes the person needs to just get up and Move. That is what they need to hear. Just Do It.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Cut BS. Apply effort.

Would that be better? It's the truth. You need to just...well...do it. No matter what excuses or 'reasons' you have. Formulate a plan and apply it. It's as simple as that.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of times, while it might be oversimplifying things, it's used when people are overcomplicating things.
  • aegisprncs
    aegisprncs Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Just Do It works for me as well. Anything from losing weight, working out, changing a personality trait I'm not happy with, keeping good friends and getting rid of toxic ones, or choosing the proper foods. I have been through many extremely difficult time in life that I wouldn't wish on anyone and the only way to grow and get beyond is to Just Do It no matter how hard or how many "excuses" one has for themselves. It may be difficult but Just Do It is the only solution for change in yourself.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I'd also like to add that people are different. My response might be more pointed if I know someone IRL and am familiar with his/her environment, history of effort, and resources. It might be appropriate to give someone a nudge.

Here, I don't what's going on with people. If I could, I would make my boilerplate response:

"See appropriate professionals who can tailor programs to your needs."

But I know that would be unrealistic. Some people don't have insurance, or can't afford that kind of help.

I also connect this kind of phrase with an over-simplified, blame-the-victim approach to drug problems in the 1980s. Nancy Reagan loved to counsel people to "Just Say No." Easy for me, I've never done recreational drugs or had any desire to. When I had back surgery, I couldn't stand the opioids they gave me -- they made me sick to my stomach -- and couldn't for the life of me understand how people could get addicted to them. But some people respond differently, physically and psychologically, to different stimuli. "Just Say No" wasn't very good advice for them.

I'm someone who's been pretty successful at "just doing it" in the weight area (other areas have room for improvement). I'm trying to be empathetic to people who aren't like me. If someone lectured me to "Just Do It" in regard to areas of my life in which I have more difficulty I would be incensed.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I say it - usually not that alone but w/some other comments. People will come up with a billion excuses of why they can't exercise, they can't log their food, they can't drink water, they can't they can't they can't... but if you just DO IT I bet you can. Would you rather I agree with them? No you can't do it. Continue sitting on the couch, eating chips, and drinking a gallon of coke.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    true, but some people over think things way too much.. of course thinking is fine and optimal, but there does come a point where too much thinking leads to analysis paralysis and nothing gets done. and sometimes needing to over think things is just a way to avoid having to actually deal with them.

so maybe just try it is a better suggestion?
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    Well, I think for some people, having someone say "JUST DO IT" is motivating.

Yeah, if i'm in a funk and someone says that to me, about 80 percent of the time i'm like dang they're right...and I go out and do it. lol
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Sometimes that's the only answer there is. Motivation is not magical, and you can't manufacture it, or get it from other people, as much as we'd like to. You find the willpower inside yourself to do something, not from outside sources.

this exactly. when I decide to start working out its because i just got up and did it, not because of everyone else telling me, not because my doctor told me, not because my ex called me fat. its because i just....did it...lol