Do you make tasty fish?

Options
buzzbug
buzzbug Posts: 50 Member
I have some salmon and some rainbow trout that i want to cook. Anyone have some awesome recipe or idea? :)

Replies

• fabafter5
    fabafter5 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    For salmon I like a generous squeeze of lemon and some Johnny's seasoning salt and black pepper. Put it under the broiler but don't overcook it!
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I broil or grill salmon and spread a tablespoon or two of basil pesto. The basil and buttery salmon are an amazing combination.
  • LynC33
    LynC33 Posts: 196
    Options
    I have some salmon and some rainbow trout that i want to cook. Anyone have some awesome recipe or idea? :)

I make a crumb by chopping up some Cilantro/coriander, a small clove of garlic and the zest of half a lemon. Coat one side of the fish, or all if you like. I either panfry it in a tiny bit of light olive oil to get the crumb nice and crispy or put on an oven tray and grill it. So juicy and delicious and the flavours are so fresh.
  • kelzpop
    kelzpop Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I was just coming to post about fish recipes. Tonight I did tilapia coated in flour & old bay, but fried it in vegetable oil. I think I might try to put it in the oven with the seasoning next time.

We do salmon a couple different ways, but always on the grill (and usually wrapped in foil b/c I hate to replace the planks). I have a soy/lemon juice marinade that I use on it. Or sometimes I just put it a small pat of butter on it and serve it with a sour cream/lemon/dill sauce. The dill is my favorite, I love that sauce on green beans too.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Salmon is delicious pan-fried just as it is, you don't need to use oil as there is enough in the salmon.

Or you can steam or bake it in a foil parcel:

salmon
    thinly sliced spring onion, capsicum, carrot, zucchini (ow whatever veggies you have)
    fresh Ginger grated
    fresh garlic crushed
    1/2 tsp sesame oil
    1/2 tsp soy sauce
    1 tsp lime juice

Put the fish on a square of foil
    Put the veggies on top
    Mix all the other ingredients together and pour on top of the veggies.
    Wrap it up in a parcel and steam or bake for about 10 mins.
  • LynC33
    LynC33 Posts: 196
    Options
    Another very simple and tasty way I love to do fish is just to get a nice fillet of white fish and lightly coat it in coconut flour (seasoned with s & p) and either pan fry in good oil or put it on a rack in the oven so the underside gets crispy.
  • amandataylor0819
    Options
    I am becoming quite the fish cook...my absolute favorite (my kids ask for this weekly) is oven fried catfish...

Soak your fish filets (I use catfish but imagine any whitefish would work) in buttermilk with as little or as much of your favorite hot sauce as you desire...I let mine soak about 30 minutes..In the meantime make a breading mix of flour, yellow cornmeal and old bay seasoning...preheat your oven to 475...pour olive oil on a metal baking sheet to coat and leave about 1/2" for fish to "fry in"...put your pan in the oven for about 15 minutes while you bread your fish...take pan out of oven, place fish on pan, it will immediately start to cook...put back in oven for 10 minutes, turn over and cook another 10 minutes..yummy!

For salmon, I coat mine in Adams BBQ seasoing and broil it...great flavor

And my latest addiction...marinate tilapia filets in fat free italian or ceasar/italian dressing for at least 30 minutes, can go all day if you want....dredge filets in italian bread crumbs and broil for 10 minutes on each side...i then put a slice of low fat swiss cheese on top and broil for another minute or 2 till melted...
  • lfm1968
    lfm1968 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    The simpler the better, IMO. I use the foil packet method....sprinkle with lemon pepper and some seasoned salt, add a little margarine, wrap and bake.
  • fffbobb
    fffbobb Posts: 2
    Options
    I made this cooking light recipe for my family the other day and they all LOVED it!

MAPLE GRILLED SALMON
    1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
    3 tablespoons maple syrup
    2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
    4 (6-ounce) salmon fillets, skinned
    Cooking spray
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Preparation

1. Combine first 3 ingredients in a large zip-top plastic bag; add fish. Seal and marinate in refrigerator 3 hours.
    2. Preheat grill or grill pan to medium-high heat.
    3. Remove fish from bag, reserving the marinade. Pour marinade into a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Cook until reduced to 2 tablespoons (about 5 minutes).
    4. Place fish on grill rack or pan coated with cooking spray; grill 4 minutes on each side or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork or until desired degree of doneness, basting occasionally with marinade. Remove fish from grill; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
  • txlissa62
    txlissa62 Posts: 128
    Options
    Rainbow trout is one of my favorite things. It's also the easiest to make. I sprinkle it with lemon pepper and put under the broiler for eight minutes. Cleanup is really easy if you line a rimmed baking sheet with foil, and spray it with some Pam.

I like maple salmon, too. However, the last time I made salmon I just sprinkled salt & pepper on it, then squeezed some lime juice over it before putting it in the oven. I made a sauce with light sour cream, lime juice and cumin, and it was really nice with it.

This weekend I'm going to make fish tacos with some tilapia, and use the sour cream sauce with it.
  • buzzbug
    buzzbug Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the ideas everyone! Now I have lots of new things to try with fish :)
  • Masq
    Masq Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    yummy ideas :smile:
  • limesublime
    limesublime Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I soak salmon in soy sauce - little high on the sodium but SUPER tasty
  • fitnessyeoja
    fitnessyeoja Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    bump
  • FindYourTruth
    FindYourTruth Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Here is a nice simple salmon dish I make:

Lay salmon in baking dish lightly coated with olive oil. Brush the salmon with olive oil. Soften a few tbsp of butter, and spread over the salmon as well. Heavily cover the salmon with crushed fresh black pepper and salt to taste. Cut up about 1/4 cup basil, and a couple of cloves of garlic, spread over salmon. Sprinkle with onion powder, and dried oregano. Bake til cooked.

It comes out fabulous! I always serve this with Asparagus. You can lay the asparagus right in the dish (after trimming) with the fish, and just drizzle a little more olive oil, salt/pepper to taste, and add a bit more fresh garlic to it.

I don't really measure anything when I cook, so you may have to just play around with amounts. :) Hope you enjoy! :smile:
  • Notorious_T
    Notorious_T Posts: 384
    Options
    I love to make a fresh (or frozen) raspberry teriyaki sauce for my salmon then either pan saute or grill in foil. It's very simple, just mix raspberries and teriyaki in a pan and boil to cook then reduce heat to thicken sauce. Coat salmon and prepare however you like it cooked. I also have used strawberries and it is just as delightful.
  • TheLittleKittie
    Options
    Wow, some great ideas here....I had trout for dinner wish I'd read this first!
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I LOVE salmon and eat a LOT of it, especially wild salmon. Honey....follow this super EASY recipe, and your salmon will come out tasting like it's from a 5 star restaurant EVERY time;

http://allrecipes.com/video/159/how-to-cook-salmon/

Trout was for YEARS my favorite fish and i'd always prepare it via almondine. This was my hubby's absolute favorite dish. About 10 years ago or so though, I stopped buying trout, because every time I'd buy it and prepare it--I'd get a fierce headache. Anyhoo, here's a trout almondine recipe that everyone will LOVE and beg for more and more and MORE:

3/4 cup milk
    3/4 cup flour
    1 tablespoon Basic Creole Spices (recipe follows)
    4 skinless trout filets (5-7 ounces each)
    Salt
    Freshly ground black pepper
    8 tablespoons butter
    1/2 cup sliced almonds
    Juice of 1 lemon
    2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley

Pour the milk into a breading tray or wide dish. Put the flour and Creole Spices into another breading tray and stir to combine. Season the filets with salt and pepper, dip them into the milk, and dredge in the seasoned flour.

Melt 4 tablespoons of the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the filets and cook on each side until golden brown, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer the fish to a serving platter.

Add the remaining 4 tablespoons butter to the same skillet over medium-high heat. Swirl the skillet over the heat so that the butter melts evenly and cook until the butter turns brownish, 3-4 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium-low, add the almonds, and cook, stirring gently, until the nuts are toasty brown, about 2 minutes. Add the lemon juice, parsley, and a dash of salt.

Spoon the browned butter and almonds over the fish and serve.

Basic Creole Spices
    Makes 1/2 cup

2 tablespoons celery salt
    1 tablespoon sweet paprika
    1 tablespoon coarse sea salt
    1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
    1 tablespoon garlic powder
    1 tablespoon onion powder
    2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
    ½ teaspoon ground allspice

Mix together all spices in a bowl. Transfer the spices to a clean container with a tight-fitting lid. Store up to six months.

ETA: Excellent yummy and healthy side dishes for both of these:

lightly steamed and herbed asparagus or string beans with a yummy spinach & mixed green salad filled with lots of healthy good things--YUMMY!
  • Curvy1taliana
    Curvy1taliana Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Another very simple and tasty way I love to do fish is just to get a nice fillet of white fish and lightly coat it in coconut flour (seasoned with s & p) and either pan fry in good oil or put it on a rack in the oven so the underside gets crispy.

a new use for coconut flour!!! thank you!