Clothes shopping

Options
Here's the situation. I've lost weight (yeah!) but now my clothes don't fit. I have been on maternity leave, so I could get away with gym clothes that were too big, because who'd see me? Now I go back to work (I am a teacher) in 2 weeks and don't have any professional clothes that fit properly. I only work for 3 weeks then I am off for the summer. I am hoping by the end of the summer to be at my goal weight. Keep in mind, I also don't have a ton of money either. Do I put a smaller belt on my pants and wear oversized clothes for 3 weeks? I look like I am swimming in my shirts, but it seems like a waste of money to buy clothes for such a short period of time. Thoughts or suggestions?

Replies

• chelsa1986
    chelsa1986 Posts: 71
    Options
    Buy one or two things. It's important to feel good about yourself during this journey :^)
  • kathyms13
    kathyms13 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    ive lost 5 stones and most of my clothes are to big to wear so ive got some new but dont wont to get to much because i still have loads to loose. my problem is getting rid of my big stuff, i seem to hang onto it like a security blanket.
  • crane50
    crane50 Posts: 2
    Options
    Buy clothes that fit, even if they are from second hand stores. People who dress sloppily or wear the wrong size look really unprofessional.
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    Same boat, lost inches and 4 pant sizes so nothing fits right but it's hot now and I don't plan on buying work pants until the fall. I would search for online deals and maybe invest in some dresses instead of pants. Just a couple mix and match pants/tops. Second hand isn't a bad idea. I use Unique stores and freecycle.org or cheapcycle.com to find GREAT stuff.
  • chantels1
    chantels1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Thrift store. You don't need to love the outfits you buy. They are serving an intermediate function! Buy cheap cuz you won't be in them long! :-)
  • chantels1
    chantels1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    ive lost 5 stones and most of my clothes are to big to wear so ive got some new but dont wont to get to much because i still have loads to loose. my problem is getting rid of my big stuff, i seem to hang onto it like a security blanket.

Lose the big stuff! It's too easy to just slip right back into that size if they are hanging out in your closet. If you have to buy bigger clothes, you aren't going to like the blow to the pocketbook, so you will probably be motivated to lose the weight again instead!
  • wendiann2222
    Options
    hit up a thrift store, clothing swap, raid your friends/family closets, ebay, kijiji, craigslist, facebook -you only need 2-3 pairs of pants (stay w/ basics- no one will notice) and a few cardigans & tops.
    then save up over the summer so you can resupply your closet for the new school year.
  • julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else that says to buy some cheap stuff to hold you over. We have some really nice consignment stores where I live that I'm sure I'll be doing a lot of shopping at while I shrink. :)
  • SeaChele77
    SeaChele77 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Go to Goodwill, Ross, Marshalls, TJ Maxx or the like and buy 1-2 black pants and 2-4 new shirts. You can rotate them through the week and no one will know you're wearing the same pants. You can also get a belt and wear of few of the items that used to be smaller on you - they probably fit a bit loose now, but not too baggy. By summers end you'll be able to go get more clothes, but these new ones you buy might still work with a belt too!!
    You can get 2-4 outfits for $50!

PS - I think we should come up with a "Clothes Swap" around here. This is not the first post, nor will it be the last, where people need a few items for the iterim phase!! Wonder if something like that could be started?? :)
  • howesie
    howesie Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'd go to Reitmans & shop the saes racks or consignment store. I sell stuff on Consigment (FB or real stores) all the time. Too bad we're not closer, I'd give you my stuff :) I'd get 2 pairs of pants, 1 pair capris (maybe tan or brown that you'd wear all summer) and a few shirts. Work with your accessories that you have to make your wardrobe stretch :) It's amazing what a scarf or focus pair of earings etc can do.
  • girlnamedlee
    girlnamedlee Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    If you have any friends of yours who've lost weight & were your current size, ask if they still have any of their old clothes. I've done that, Goodwill (mostly skirts so that it's not so obvious when they get baggy) & Target clearance.
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    Actually clothes swap is a great idea. I just one with the girls at work. We all lost weight and inches during a "biggest Loser" challenge, so we just handed clothes around to each other to get us over the hump until we all buy new for the fall.
  • Dudagarcia
    Dudagarcia Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Go to Goodwill, Ross, Marshalls, TJ Maxx or the like and buy 1-2 black pants and 2-4 new shirts. You can rotate them through the week and no one will know you're wearing the same pants. You can also get a belt and wear of few of the items that used to be smaller on you - they probably fit a bit loose now, but not too baggy. By summers end you'll be able to go get more clothes, but these new ones you buy might still work with a belt too!!
    You can get 2-4 outfits for $50!
  • MelbourneBelle
    MelbourneBelle Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Do you have a sewing machine? Or can you use one at school? If so, can you alter any of your clothes for a better fit? A dart here and nipped in seam there can make the world of difference.