Heart rate zone???

vrdz3215
vrdz3215 Posts: 493
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
I was wondering about the Heart rate "zone" that my hrm has created for me...i run alot and for the majority of my working out i am above the zone that has been created for me. I am wondering if this is effecting my weight loss? I try to stay in the zone but when running it seems totally impossible. I tend to burn more calories when my heart rate is higher than the targeted zone....so was wondering what the "zone" is for exactly? (I know I sound like an idiot)

Replies

• smadag1
    smadag1 Posts: 1,368
    How do you find your heart rate zone when working out? I am wondering what mine would be

ps love the pix of your dog in your ticker
  • Arienna
    Arienna Posts: 913
    You're probably talking about the "fat burning zone". It doesn't really require your heart rate to be very high about 60-65% I believe. I never have to push myself in order to be in the zone. I've also read several articles stating that the fat burning zone is a myth. This is from Webmd

Exercise Mistake #3: Always training in the 'fat burning' heart rate zone.
    You’ve seen those charts on the cardiovascular machines that list “zones.” But in the so-called “fat-burning zone,” your training intensity isn’t very high -- usually 65%-70% of your heart rate. Research, however, has shown that the higher the intensity, the more calories you burn -- not only while exercising, but after you leave the gym, when your body benefits from an “after-burn” mode.

“It’s as if you turn off your car engine, but the hood is still warm,” Lucett says. “The same thing happens with the body. You need to make sure that your intensity is higher than that chart.” Unable to work out that hard? Work your way up.

Here's a link to the entire article:

http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/features/9-common-gym-mistakes

Edit: You don't sound like an idiot!!!
  • vrdz3215
    arienna- tks for the article...that makes more sense now!
    smagdag- I get mine from my HRM it used my age/weight to calculate it I guess... your pup is cute too! what kind of dog is it?
  • Arienna
    Arienna Posts: 913
    arienna- tks for the article...that makes more sense now!

Np! Good luck to you!:drinker:
  • smadag1
    smadag1 Posts: 1,368
    She is a terrie mix but she has been missing for 3 months. Her name is Popcorn
  • vrdz3215
    I am sooo sorry! hope for her safe return!!!! :cry: :cry:
  • Great question, because I was working out in the gym yesterday and the guy next to me was waiting for me to pass out (my heart rate was 174).

I found this on the Mayo Clinic website (along with a calculator): For vigorous exercise, aim for a target heart rate of 70 to 85 percent of your maximum heart rate (MHR). Your MHR (roughly calculated as 220 minus your age) is the upper limit of what your cardiovascular system can handle during physical activity.

It also states that you may vary by up to 15-20 beats per minute - it's all individual.
    Here's the site if you are interested: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/target-heart-rate/SM00083
  • Chiny
    Chiny Posts: 321
    Supposedly the "zone" it sets for you based on your info is supposed to be where you need to be to get the most effective workout.
  • cruzanvi
    cruzanvi Posts: 4 Member
    I have copied a great link that allows you to get a more realistic and true range of your heart rate zones. I use their heart rate formula as opposed to the traditional (220-age) as it takes into account your actual fitness level.

http://www.fitzones.com/members/Fitness/heartrate_zones.asp
This discussion has been closed.