100% of A,C, and iron?

Options
Hi there,

how many of you get 100% or more of your daily allowance of Vitamin A and C, and iron? and if you don't get your 100%, do you take a multivitamin supplement?

SilMarilion.

Replies

• nightsrainfall
    nightsrainfall Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I get close to 100% of my iron and over 100% on A and C. Personally I don't care about A & C for I almost always get these but I would like to be able to track the B vitamins since I'm not as good on those ones...

Now I do take a multivitamin supplement but only half of one. Our bodies can't abosrb 100% or sometimes even 50-60% of something at one time, so taking a full multivitamin that says 100% (or more) of something doesn't mean our bodies actually got that "100%". Also, I tend to prefer getting my vtamins and minerals from the natural (original) sources such as fruits, veggies, and meat - but this isn't always possible for me.
  • SilMarillion
    Options
    I can easily hit my A and C intake by eating fruits and veggies, but iron seems to always be around 40%... unless I eat meat, then it can jump to 350%... I eat liver, heart and kidney, which contain a lot of iron... I also take a multi B vitamin every day, just to make sure I am getting enough.
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    I can easily hit my A and C intake by eating fruits and veggies, but iron seems to always be around 40%... unless I eat meat, then it can jump to 350%... I eat liver, heart and kidney, which contain a lot of iron... I also take a multi B vitamin every day, just to make sure I am getting enough.

For all the hyhdro-soluble micronutrients, it's no biggie if you go over

The simplest way for me is to take multi-vitamin caps, usually a mix of
    C/E/
    B1/B2/B6/B9/B12
    PP/
    A/Mg/Zn/Cu/Se

Though make sure the pills brings around 100%, some only bring half (I'm thinking about A, Mg, Zn, Cu, Se)
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Liver is excellent for vitamin A - and it's in the right form, it's not bad for iron either. Mmmm, liver & bacon......
  • jekwem
    jekwem Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I always get well over on all three of those just by eating cereal with 2% and a salad.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

how many of you get 100% or more of your daily allowance of Vitamin A and C, and iron? and if you don't get your 100%, do you take a multivitamin supplement?

SilMarilion.

hard to track on here, as this information often isn't added to the nutrition info for many items.

A & C are fine for me, but iron can be a challenge. I have a protein shake that includes iron (it's soy based). And I do sometimes take a supplement too.
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Iron is the tough one for me since I don't buy red meat as much because of its expense. But spinach is supposed to help (yucky!) as well as sun dried tomatoes.

If you like cereal, check out Special K's Protein Plus cereal: one 3/4 c, 100 cal serving has 45% your daily iron. AND 10 gs protein. :smile:

I never have a hard time with Vitamins A and C with all the vegetables (sweet potatoes mostly!! Yum!) I eat.

Where do you people find liver? At the grocery store? Perhaps I haven't seen it because I haven't been looking but I would like to try it...
  • SweetSammie
    SweetSammie Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I hit the others regularly, but iron is a challenge, it's usually about 40%. I do take a multivitamin, but I don't log it since I want to see what I get without it.
    I don't often eat cereal (other than old fashioned oatmeal), but I had a craving for Multi-Grain Cheerios, so I hit my iron goal today.
  • Maxylicious
    Maxylicious Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Carrots are a great source of Vit A just one serving should do the trick. Also try adding spinach or kale to your diet. I usually get most of my vit c from a supplement but nothing say pure vitamin C like a good old orange or orange juice. Most of my iron usually comes from fish i have everyday and my soy cereal or shake which is a great source of iron. good luck!
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    1 medium raw carrot is 110 Vitamin A and I use beans to get my iron and I use cheese and yogurt for my Calcium
  • SweetSammie
    Options
    Cinnamon is a surprising source of Iron. 1 tsp is 10% DV. My oatmeal has gotten more "cinnamon-y" since I discovered that...
  • SilMarillion
    Options
    Iron is the tough one for me since I don't buy red meat as much because of its expense. But spinach is supposed to help (yucky!) as well as sun dried tomatoes.

If you like cereal, check out Special K's Protein Plus cereal: one 3/4 c, 100 cal serving has 45% your daily iron. AND 10 gs protein. :smile:

I never have a hard time with Vitamins A and C with all the vegetables (sweet potatoes mostly!! Yum!) I eat.

Where do you people find liver? At the grocery store? Perhaps I haven't seen it because I haven't been looking but I would like to try it...

Calf liver can be found in most supermarkets these days, just as the butcher and I am sure they can help you out... you should also try lamb kidney if you can get it .. if not, beef kidney is an okay replacement... just make sure you rinse it in cold water first... thin sliced and sauteed with some onion and garlic...
  • SweetSammie
    Options
    I have chicken livers in the freezer ... free range, local (yada yada yada). My husband loves chicken liver, so I am going to try it again. I haven't eaten it since I was a child, and I didn't like it then. Then again, my Dad didn't like it, so I MIGHT have just imitated his behavior on that one.... I thought I didn't like lima beans... but it turns out, I do. Kinda hope I like it, since it's so nutrient dense.
  • SilMarillion
    Options
    I have chicken livers in the freezer ... free range, local (yada yada yada). My husband loves chicken liver, so I am going to try it again. I haven't eaten it since I was a child, and I didn't like it then. Then again, my Dad didn't like it, so I MIGHT have just imitated his behavior on that one.... I thought I didn't like lima beans... but it turns out, I do. Kinda hope I like it, since it's so nutrient dense.

Chicken livers are yummy... but very different from lamb or calf liver... and all three are fantastic cheap eats
  • lc971
    lc971 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    My PCP just put me on an iron supplement this week. I was tired all the time. My iron saturation, and Ferritin levels were low. I don't think I get enough Vitamin C either, it helps in the absorption of iron. I'm going to make some changes in my diet.