Bike Riding

Options
Hi! I am thinking about getting a bike. I haven't been on one for several years due to my weight but I am wanting to switch up my exercise routine a bit. I am curretly walking 3 miles a day and doing the 30 day shred. I would like to incorperate some riding in there as well. I am 264 pounds right now. Is that to heavy to ride? Have others found this to be an effective exercise? Just wanted to get some input. Thanks!!

Replies

• cgraylyon
    cgraylyon Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I don't think you are to heavy to ride. All the people on the biggest loser rode bikes up a mountain. I don't know you personally but if you can do 30 Day Shred - I say go for it!
  • BazAbroad
    BazAbroad Posts: 248
    Options
    I do not think thats too heavy to ride, but u need a strong bike,
    I would go for a mountain bike, ( even for the road )
    Get one with only suspension on the front, u do not need rear suspension, it just wastes energy.
    For any kind of quality, I spend at least $1000 on a bike, that seems alot, but gears, and build quality are important,
    I would try to buy a second hand one if that seems a bit steep.
    I used to cycle to work all year round for 3 years, I was really really fit and it got rid of the fat at the top of my legs, I got down to 86 kilo's and then got hit buy a car, lol, ballooned up to 110 kilos, and had to have an op on my arm, am now down to 92 ish,,, but I have still got cycling in my training regime, but have changed work so not poss to cycle there,, boo hoo.
    Good luck,
    Cycling rocks,, back roads and tracks if u feel confident, is good for the soul,,,,,
  • love2cycle
    love2cycle Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Hi, I ride a bike, and don't think you are too heavy to do that. With everything you are doing, you should be able to handle it. I have.a Trek, that cost me around $400; and it is called a hybrid. My son recently purchased one similar and it was around $300.
    I'm sure you can good advice from a bike store, the ones around here are always eager to help. Also, just to tell you, most, a lot of people I know give up after about 5 minutes, because they find it difficult. Don't give up! Keep going, and you will feel better as you go. I have experienced that as well, and it is pretty normal, but the more you ride you'll only improve. You'll also have great legs!
  • BazAbroad
    BazAbroad Posts: 248
    Options
    the right clothes help too,,,
    it can be a leisurely way of burning cals, it does not have to be a race, just a tick over training until u really want to go for it.
    I laugh at how many people take the car to the gym when its so close,,,,,,,
    hmmm, its raining I will be taking the car too lol
    :laugh:
  • DryHeet
    DryHeet Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Cycling is great exercise no matter what your size. There was a terrific inspiring story in Bicycling Magazine a few years ago about a man who weighed 427 pounds and he lost 320 pounds by riding a bicycle and changing his diet. I found the story online here - http://www.bicycling.com/training-nutrition/nutrition-weight-loss/i-lost-320-pounds-riding-bike. Its a long story, but really amazing.

Good luck and as love2cycle said - don't give up - keep after it and it will get easier and fun!
  • kaned_ferret
    kaned_ferret Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    The comment about wearing the right clothes was spot on!

A few weeks ago I rode to my friends house, it's a 20k round trip, and I did it in my jeans. Net result? The denim had completely abraded the skin from my kneecap, it was sooo sore! Still healing up from it now lmao - shan't be riding in them again any time soon!
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am thinking about getting a bike. I haven't been on one for several years due to my weight but I am wanting to switch up my exercise routine a bit. I am curretly walking 3 miles a day and doing the 30 day shred. I would like to incorperate some riding in there as well. I am 264 pounds right now. Is that to heavy to ride? Have others found this to be an effective exercise? Just wanted to get some input. Thanks!!
    Absolutely not too heavy!!! I did many, many miles at over 270 LBS. Bicycling is a great exercise for those too heavy to run, because it is non impact. And you don't even realize you are getting exercise, because it is so fun, and the scenery constantly switches.

It was when i made the commitment to start riding my bike to work instead of my car that the weight started coming off. It is a VERY effective exercise. Go get a bike, you will not regret it!!!

If you are foreign to bikes, and want to know where to start, A good starter bike to look into would be a Trek 7.2 FX or something similar.
  • HappilySingle
    HappilySingle Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I try to ride my bike everyday and we aren't that far away in weight. First I rented a bike from a local shop that rented bikes and boats. It was a "cruiser" type bike with no speeds. I rode about 10 miles on the bike trail and LOVED it. It did take a few minutes to get used to being up so high (lol).

I then went out and bought a mountain bike from Wal-Mart. I should have returned it! It is just "ok" But I would never spent $100's on a bike just yet.

Good luck!
  • sallydurkin
    sallydurkin Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    My opinion of bikes changed today! I have dreaded riding a bike hate the very thought of it. But I signed up for a triathlon for the end of the month so I needed to get going and just get it done was my thoughts.
    Today I went for a 10 km ride, using my husbands bike not mine... I LOVED IT! The quality of bike does make a HUGE difference. I have a Costco bike, I purchased probley 8-10 years ago.... i know its not great but what the heck I would just used it I have never really liked riding grew up on gravel roads not really bike compatable I don't think I owned a bike after the age of 10 either now that I think about it. Anyways, I went out this morning on my husbands bike (which is a new bike and is very good quality, I thought it was ridicilous to spend more then a couple hundred dollars on a bike, Costco was good enough) and LOVED IT. What a difference, and a joy to ride, my Back did not hurt when I was done, and I did not feel streched out over the bike.
    As one of the above noted she rented a bike before purchasing, that may a great options then you can try differrent typed and find on that is suitable for you.
  • webdaughter
    webdaughter Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much!!! We have a really great local bike shop so on Tuesday (my next day off) I will go talk with them and see about renting a bike or see what they have used. You all really helped!!!