The Weight of a Nation

Options
I mentioned this documentary in an earlier post(no I am not affiliated with this, it just has had an impact in my life). One of the things that I found most interesting(I guess that would be the word for it) is that now that I am overweight, once I reach a normal weight I will always have to work harder than someone that has been at a normal weight all their life. The body learns a set point and will always try to return to that. The example they gave was that if you take two like people(weight, age etc.) and one was normal weight all their life and the other was overweight, the normal one could eat 2000 calories daily to maintain but the overweight person would have to eat 1800 and still exercise everyday to maintain. Pretty good information I thought.

Replies

• jackiecroberts
    jackiecroberts Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with you. I am going to watch that special tonight on my iPad. It is really sad to see so many families bogged down by so much weight. Kids are facing new challenges that we as kids never had to face. We all have to make changes to stop this epidemic!!
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    May not be the same one but , this one is interesting none the less.
    Part 1 here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pEkCbqN4uo

Thank you. I've never been overweight, although my weight's crept up over the years. The reason it's never gotten crazy is that I've informed (scared) myself with materials like this.

For example, how could anyone who's ever seen "Super Size Me" look at a steady diet of McDonald's food as harmless?
  • sniperzzzz
    sniperzzzz Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Thought i would come back and say, this series is well worth a watch if you have some time.
    Extremely interesting.
  • brentdaniels
    brentdaniels Posts: 127
    Options

That is the one...watched all 4 parts...part 1 is the scariest one though.
  • brentdaniels
    Options

Thank you. I've never been overweight, although my weight's crept up over the years. The reason it's never gotten crazy is that I've informed (scared) myself with materials like this.

For example, how could anyone who's ever seen "Super Size Me" look at a steady diet of McDonald's food as harmless?

I really need to see Super Size Me...I have heard so much about it.
  • brentdaniels
    Options
    I totally agree with you. I am going to watch that special tonight on my iPad. It is really sad to see so many families bogged down by so much weight. Kids are facing new challenges that we as kids never had to face. We all have to make changes to stop this epidemic!!

Part 3 focuses on children and while we were watching my daughter, who is a junior in high school, told me about some of the things they serve at the cafeteria. I guess I should be better informed on these things but it really shocked me how much junk they have access to. It saddens me that I have done this to myself but more than that I am passing my poor habits on to my children. They want to go to the gym with me in the mornings now, so maybe I can begin to have a positive impact.
  • sniperzzzz
    sniperzzzz Posts: 282 Member
    Options

Part 3 focuses on children and while we were watching my daughter, who is a junior in high school, told me about some of the things they serve at the cafeteria. I guess I should be better informed on these things but it really shocked me how much junk they have access to. It saddens me that I have done this to myself but more than that I am passing my poor habits on to my children. They want to go to the gym with me in the mornings now, so maybe I can begin to have a positive impact.
    Great attitude you have there brent, i wish you all the best :smile:
  • LadyVivica
    LadyVivica Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend watching this for anyone. I just watched it 3 weeks ago and was very impressed by the level of detail in the research and the scope of subjects it covered.

I was diagnosed with fatty liver disease in March and I am only 28. My doctor said that I have actually had it for about 2 years before they diagnosed it properly and I had to change my entire lifestyle immediately because of how bad my liver has become. I was surprised when they covered in in the show and how this disease is showing up in younger and younger adults...

It really helps to motivate you NOW...I just had a friend die from diabetes and I am scared of getting diabetes...
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options

I really need to see Super Size Me...I have heard so much about it.

It's very good and funny. Morgan Spurlock was criticized for creating an extreme case, but he was transparent about what he was doing. It wasn't supposed to be a straight, scientific documentary, but more of a premise taken to its extreme. I still have my one burger a year at McDonald's.

Thanks for posting all the links to the HBO series. I intend to watch it when I get a chance.
  • urbanitylifestyle
    Options
    I watched the series and am glad that they have launched a national campaign to help bring more awareness of obesity. I am a fitness coach and would love to have yall in my 90 day challenge group. Search Urbanity Lifestyle Group and join in. Monday I will post further details about the event.

Blessings
  • MzMandi1025
    MzMandi1025 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Bump so I can watch the series later.
  • urbanitylifestyle
    Options
    Here is their website link. You will find the full version of all 4 parts of the HBO documentary. THere is also a ton of information to reference. I intend to get involved by holding Fit Clubs. Especially for children.
    www.theweightofthenation.hbo.com
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    I may watch it later, even though it may scare me a bit. I watched Supersize Me in high school and it was really informative. Then I worked at McDonald's and ugh. I don't crave the stuff. >.<
  • brentdaniels
    Options
    I highly recommend watching this for anyone. I just watched it 3 weeks ago and was very impressed by the level of detail in the research and the scope of subjects it covered.

I was diagnosed with fatty liver disease in March and I am only 28. My doctor said that I have actually had it for about 2 years before they diagnosed it properly and I had to change my entire lifestyle immediately because of how bad my liver has become. I was surprised when they covered in in the show and how this disease is showing up in younger and younger adults...

It really helps to motivate you NOW...I just had a friend die from diabetes and I am scared of getting diabetes...

That is what impressed me the most too. You definitely have the proper motivation I am sure you will be successful!
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    One of the things that I found most interesting(I guess that would be the word for it) is that now that I am overweight, once I reach a normal weight I will always have to work harder than someone that has been at a normal weight all their life. The body learns a set point and will always try to return to that. The example they gave was that if you take two like people(weight, age etc.) and one was normal weight all their life and the other was overweight, the normal one could eat 2000 calories daily to maintain but the overweight person would have to eat 1800 and still exercise everyday to maintain.

This may be accurate, but it doesn't make sense to me from a scientific standpoint (no, I ddin't watch the film). Is it implying that your BMR stays low after you lose alot of weight as compared to someone who stayed thin? I don't know how credible this is....maybe the idea is that people who are thin naturally have a faster BMR anyway and that's why they stayed thin, but then it doesn't mean that allowing yourself to "get" overweight because your BMR was slower than the first person and then losing it puts you at a disadvantage, it just means that's how your body runs (genetics).

Not convinced, something seems a bit fishy. :ohwell:
  • reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    Only once this was said by the doctor on biggest losser, he said that the former morbidly obesse would have to execise three to four hours daily in order to maintain a healthy normal weight. No wonder former contestents of the show are twenty plus pounds heavier the next season we see them.
  • fypspirit
    fypspirit Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Just check this thread has caught my interest so I checked and if any of you have On Demand features through sat or cable you can watch those 4 episodes plus many more on the subject of Weight of the Nation. I will be watching.