Nuts

Options
I know that nuts are good for you and will help fill you up when you're hungry, but are they really worth all those calories and fat? I love nuts, but find it hard to bring myself to eat them because you get so little for so many calories and fat.

Replies

• Amy_nz
    Amy_nz Posts: 145
    Options
    I lovelovelove nuts. They're my go-to-snack at work, they seem to satisfy me better than other snacks. For me they're worth it because they're delicious and add good fats - I know they're calorific but I eat 'em anyway! (I make sure I buy raw nuts so that I avoid added sugar/salt.)
  • kristinamariemc
    Options
    For me, they are not "worth it." I do the old (pre-Points Plus) Weight Watchers program and just a small quantity (1/4 cup) costs me 5 points (and I only get 25 daily points.) Also, they're one of my red light foods, meaning that I'm very rarely able to control myself with them and stick to just 1/4 cup (which is NOT satisfying.) I don't want to quit 'til half the can is gone. :frown:
  • Josephina57
    Josephina57 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Nuts are a powerhouse of nutrition. But, yes you have to watch your portion size. I love them and have an ounce most days.
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I add nuts at the end of the day if I need the calorie boost. The exception to that would be if it were included in a recipe.
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    For me they are worth it. Just that 1 ounce will keep me from snacking all day at work.

I do usually have a serving of nuts (mostly pistachios as I can get the single packs at Sam's Club) every weekday at work and then on days like today where I am short on my calories for the day I treat myself to a little snack of nuts before bed to get up to my 1200.

I've always read almonds are the best (for hunger suppression) but I think most have exceptional health benefits. I buy mine raw (not roasted or salted) at a company online that is amazing. Much better quality then what you can get in any store and they don't have the extra oils in the roasting or the salt added. Just pure nut goodness. http://nuts.com/
  • SGRhapsodos
    Options
    I eat them with my Greek yogurt every morning, but that's it. I limit myself because not only are they high in calories and addictive, but once i've had a whole bunch of them, my stomach will make me pay for it dearly....
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Definitely a "go to" snack for me. I tried to avoid them for years, then would binge and eat a whole can every so often ... Making myself sick in the process... Learning to eat them one serving at a time was one of the best health gifts I gave myself. One serving gives me much-needed protein and helps me stay away from the empty-calorie snacks.
  • rainydaze613
    rainydaze613 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    They're worth it to me, because I have the mindset that more natural, whole foods = healthier. So while nuts may have more calories and fat than a processed bag of 100-calorie cookies or something, I don't feel bad about it and it keeps me fuller longer. Also, I'm not getting a bunch of empty carbs or putting anything artificial into my body. In the end, a handful or so of nuts per day will do you much more good than harm- as others have mentioned, just don't go overboard with it :)
  • Flugangst
    Flugangst Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Macadamia nuts and Cashews are definitely a must in my diet. :3
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I have a cup of Pistachios and a 1/4 cup of Almonds everyday.... They are good fats and as far as I am concerned an important part of my meal plan.... They are so good for you I would recommend working them in when you can... I just measure mine out (actually have a pistachios cup and an Almond cup that I use daily and they are measured out and take the guess work out of it.. And I don't go eating more than my allotment.... Best of Luck...
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Control portion size. Very high in Omega 3s!! Especially Walnuts and Almonds. Eat them in the raw state for max benefit!!
  • donnakay52
    donnakay52 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have some nuts or a tablespoon of peanut butter almost everyday....they satisfy me like no other snack. I do measure carefully though.
  • glittersoul
    glittersoul Posts: 671
    Options
    Nuts are really good for getting your healthy fats and certain minerals... You don't have to eat them, but you can also have less than a normal portion if you still want them and less calories.
  • JBennis1013
    JBennis1013 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I went to Whole Foods and picked up some raw nuts...Gonna give it a try.
  • Jayneopopsidoodle
    Jayneopopsidoodle Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Graze.com do all good little snacks like this and inlcude nuts and they all come in small calorie counted portions.... ideal. My pot of nuts today are235 calories but have defo killed an hunger pangs I have for chocolate etc and oh so full of goodness.

x
  • AlmondTheGreat
    Options
    Get some nuts!!!!!
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Nuts are extremly healthy, convenient, and tasty. Basically they're an ideal snack food. The fat in nuts is good for you, so don't worry if the almonds don't make your macro's look nice

For example, one ounce of almonds may not be "low cal," but it's pretty filling for those hundred seventy some odd calories. And you don't have to eat them all at once. If you like to snack or graze on food, measure out an ounce of almonds, and just have a few whenever you start feeling hungry.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I eat them just about every day as a snack. 1 ounce is about 170 calories (for the almonds I eat) but a much healthier 170 calories than a granola bar, cereal bar, crackers, or any of that stuff. For me, they're totally worth it.
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    disregard the fat content - fat does not make you fat...and the fat in most nuts are GOOD for your body...

yes they are very good and the fats within the nuts will satiate you so you stay fuller longer