Using Smart Phones with Fitness Apps

Options
Venturin
Venturin Posts: 244 Member
I'm one of those stingy types who doesn't have a smart phone and I am starting to feel like I am missing all the cool fitness apps. Besides MFP what all apps are you guys using and what phone are they for?

Also if anyone has an idea of the cheapest way to get one of these phones so that I can buy and use these apps please let me know. Do I have to play $200 for an iPhone and $40+ dollars a month?

Thanks all!

-V-

Replies

• blackjax007
    Options
    I use my tracks when I walk. Its great for telling you every detail about your walk/run/bike etc. Since it uses a gps it can show you exactly where you've been. Its great for telling how many mph or kph you've gone to easily track your progress.
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Depends on your carrier and when you're up for a contract renewal. You can get the older models of the android phones (like my Samsung Galaxy SII Captivate) from ATT for like .99 with a contract renewal. I don't know what other deals and stuff you'd get from other carriers.

Downside is that you have to pay for the data plan to use a smart phone and that can put you back a minimum of $15 extra a month.
  • stratusofkiser
    stratusofkiser Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I have an android. If you have a contract see is they will upgrade you, and you dont need the iphone there are cheaper ones that work great also. Yes you have to pay for the internet access whatever price that is with your provider. Just ask about specials or discounts they have. Good Luck! I love my smart phone, I use run keeper, mfp, I can hold music on it for my workouts, and of course the occasional game when Im bored :)
  • mommajolynn
    mommajolynn Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    my cousin just got a phone today (android) and it cost 50 plus 30 a month for the data. and it is a VERY nice phone. this is with AT&T

I use runkeeper. it uses the GPS to map where you walk and how long you do so.. how far.. so on and so forth.
    Also I have some daily exercise apps so I'm not just walking all the time.
  • Venturin
    Options
    my cousin just got a phone today (android) and it cost 50 plus 30 a month for the data. and it is a VERY nice phone. this is with AT&T

I use runkeeper. it uses the GPS to map where you walk and how long you do so.. how far.. so on and so forth.
    Also I have some daily exercise apps so I'm not just walking all the time.

Are you saying it's 50 a month plus 30 for data, a total of $80 a month?
  • jekwem
    jekwem Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have an iPhone that cost me $300 ($200 for the phone and $100 for the Apple insurance) I have an employee discount and pay less a month. If you plan on getting a smart phone but do not want to be trapped in a contract go wit Cricket Wireless, in a few months they will be getting the iPhone 4S for $400 (which is really expensive in my opinion) and they have a $55 plan with it. I love my phone, and the apps. But most importantly, I love what's in it. The pictures! lol. Good luck
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    You can get one of the dozens of android phones from $50 to nothing but a contract. I've never had one of those, so I can't speak to if they will perform as well as the higher end android phones i'm used to. But they run all the same apps. And you can get something from sprint or T mobile or even Metro PCS that has a cheaper plan than the one I have from verizon.

There are a million apps. Someone mentioned the My Tracks and Runkeeper apps which are great for any outdoor activity, biking, walking, running, rowing, etc. I also use Jefit to log the sets/reps/wieghts of my workouts. Fit Radio has an excellent selection of music mixes to fuel your workouts no matter what type of music you like. Of course you can make your own playlists with your own music or Spotify. You've got apps that work with a heartrate monitor, or Instant Heartrate will let you put the phones camera to your fingertip and give you a heartrate. I use Indoor Cycling to create my own spin class workout when the cycling room is empty. And probably the app I use the most (besides the music apps) is HIIT Timer. I use that for jumping rope, Tabata, sprint 8s and Spartacus workouts.

That are just the things I use. There are 100s of others. Nike has an app that will generate a workout a day for you. There's apps to coach you to 100 pushups or 100 chinups without stopping. There are Spartacus workout apps. Apps to train you for a marathon or 10K.

It's all there. Get the phone, get a case that's big enough for your arm. (harder than you think. A lot of cases have a plastic strap that doesn't stretch wide enough for my arms. You look like a big guy too. D-LO bands fit me) get some decent headphones, preferable with a mic so you can take a call in the middle of your walk. That's it. Everything you need, with you, all the time, and backupable to the cloud.
  • Venturin
    Options
    Thanks all for the responses, and thanks David for the great tips and the info on all the apps
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I use Sprint.. and in my opinion they have the best deal around.. I paid 200 for my phone(Samsung Galaxy SII Epic 4g Touch), and only 76 dollars a month for my plan. I get 450 minutes, unlimited texting, data, and calls to/from any cell phone, plus unlimited nights/weekends.. and since pretty much everyone has a cell phone, I barely use any minutes.

I just started using Endmondo to track when I walk outside.. the calorie count is a bit wacky, but it's fun to see where I go, how fast, how many miles etc.