Ah, forget it!

Options
I am having a TERRIBLE time staying motivated!!! When I actually count my calories and eat right, I lose weight, go figure! But my husband REFUSES to eat right, and when he dives into a ham and turkey sandwich, I have a hard time saying no. Then my day is ruined, and I just say "ah, forget it!!" and keep eating junk.

How do you stay motivated in a situation like this? I was thinking of finding a REALLY motivated member to add to my facebook account to keep me in line and maybe share recipes and stories with. Any takers?

Replies

• LuAnnMarieP
    LuAnnMarieP Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My husband & I are our worst enablers! haha! I'm addicted to chocolate and he's addicted to salt and that combo leads to some overeating. But we have stopped counting calories and started counting carbs because believe it or not, we weren't eating enough of them. We are both diabetic and what we found out from the nurse educator is that when your body doesn't think there's enough sugar in your system (carbs) it releases sugar into your blood stream to compensate which leads to high blood sugars. We were eating about 24 carbs per meal when we should be eating 60. So we increased to 60 (which carbs include breads, fruits, some veggies like corn, plus you're junk food and popcorn). We have 2 snacks per day of 15 carbs and believe it or not, we're no longer hungry and we've started to lose weight! Who'da thought! lol
  • MissRinnyPoo
    Options
    Wow that's great!!! Keep it up then, it's worth it!
  • RipperSB
    RipperSB Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I am having a TERRIBLE time staying motivated!!! When I actually count my calories and eat right, I lose weight, go figure! But my husband REFUSES to eat right, and when he dives into a ham and turkey sandwich, I have a hard time saying no. Then my day is ruined, and I just say "ah, forget it!!" and keep eating junk.

How do you stay motivated in a situation like this? I was thinking of finding a REALLY motivated member to add to my facebook account to keep me in line and maybe share recipes and stories with. Any takers?

I don't think there is anything wrong with a ham and turkey sammich... its just how much ham and turkey. What I usually do is prepare my plate first, measuring everything and then my wife takes whatever she likes from the rest. You just need to stick to your plan. Best of luck.
  • ColtyHan
    ColtyHan Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Maybe it would be easier if you don't try to say no to the things you want. I've been doing this for 2 months now, and have eaten everything I wanted. Sometimes it was just a bite, and sometimes I just ate lighter at the other meals to make up for it. I have done extra minutes on the treadmill in anticipation of the goodies at the company picnic, and when I still went over my goal for that day, I just started fresh the next day.

Just think about making good choices, having the treats in moderation. If you have a bad day, just promise yourself to do better tomorrow.

My husband is doing MFP too, but since he is bigger than me, he has a higher calorie goal than I do. That means he gets some things that I don't. ( like second helpings) My point is, even if your husband was on board with eating better, you still wouldn't get everything he does. Realize that you are only hurting yourself when you give in to jealousy over what he has and give up. You have to decide what you want more.
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    Just make room in your calories to eat it! You can find ways to add anything into your calories. Sure, you probably shouldn't be eating high calorie, low nutrient food every day but even if you are still having trouble giving it up now- you can absolutely make room for it.