Heart Rate Monitor

Options
Hi Friends, I would like some suggestions for a good and affordable heart rate monitor/calorie counter, so I know how much I am really burning. I think it would help my motivation to exercise if i knew the hard numbers. Thanks!

Replies

• soulvanes
    soulvanes Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I just bought the timex ironman road trainer heart rate monitor I use it to track my calories burned during exercise. I LOVE IT! Reasonably priced as well!

http://www.timex.ca/IRONMAN-ROAD-TRAINER-Digital-Heart-Rate-Monitor-Fullsize-SKT5K211L3-P463C155.aspx?l=e
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT4 - love it. So easy to use and was a decent price.
  • kettle_belle83
    kettle_belle83 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Polar FT7. I absolutely love mine!!!
  • xd2005
    xd2005 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I bought a Sportline SX Elite...didn't like it. Worked okay but had a lot of issues with the chest strap not communicating well. Just bought a Polar FT7 and love it so far! No communication problems whatsoever and I like the ability to pause/stop/track workouts.
  • Mary831331
    Mary831331 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I just ordered the Polar FT7 online yesterday. It has great reviews, and I cannot wait until it comes in the mail, so I can start using it.
  • curlyredmom
    Options
    Thanks, all! I appreciate the input!
  • BlueEyedTXmom
    BlueEyedTXmom Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT4 and love it!
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Definitely Polar. I have an FT7 :)
  • bfairbanks1982
    bfairbanks1982 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I also have a Polar FT4 and love it...Polar has good reviews and the FT4 is reasonable in price....good luck :smile:
  • jahall76
    jahall76 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I have a Sportsline and love it. No issues with chest strap and very simple to use.
  • Hasu
    Hasu Posts: 67
    Options
    Perhaps I'm the oddball of the bunch but I don't like monitors with straps. I've used them in the past and just never took to them. My preference is the strapless. I usually ended up borrowing from friends etc, so I had to make due.

I bought my first strapless monitor for about 30 bucks off of Amazon. Its the Mio Classic Select ECG Accurate Strapless Heart Rate Watch. Its been working out great for me, I know from my own personal experience that monitoring my HR and Calories Burned always pushes me to work out even harder.
  • Jacole18
    Jacole18 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I just ordered the Polar FT4 yesterday online...can't wait for it to get here! :)
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    You want to get a Polar.. TImex and Strapless are not the way to go. Both are known to overestimate calories/underestimate.

Polar FT4, FT7, FT40 and FT60 are the most popular... so decided which is in your price range and then go from there.
  • 4leggedmom
    4leggedmom Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Got the FT7 and love it. The chest strap is comfy too.
  • Dudagarcia
    Dudagarcia Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Polar FT7 and love it, so glad hubby bought it for me.
  • eduardo_d
    eduardo_d Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Go Polar. Just know that they are only accurate for cardio. Any strength training you do at a gym where you are isolating muscles will give you an incorrect reading. By a lot. That said, it is nice to the feedback and be more sure about your calorie numbers.

Good luck with your fitness!
  • thurberj
    thurberj Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • Gulzilly
    Gulzilly Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7. They have about 4 different types. Look through Amazon an EBay and at times-you can get really good deals on it. See what type you prefer and see if you can get a good deal on it. Good luck on your lifestyle change :-)
  • torygirl79
    torygirl79 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT60 but the strap can be temperamental.