If you avoid wheat, well good news, you're not crazy.

Options
An excerpt of a post from Dr. William Davis at the heart scan blog...http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com/2009/10/name-that-food.html

<blockquote>What common food can:

• Cause destructive intestinal damage that, if unrecognized, can lead to disability and death?
• Increase blood sugar higher and faster than table sugar?
• Trigger an autoimmune inflammatory condition in the thyroid (Hashimoto’s thyroiditis)?
• Create intestinal bloating, cramps, and alternating diarrhea and constipation, often labeled irritable bowel syndrome?
• Trigger schizophrenia in susceptible individuals?
• Cause behavioral outbursts in children with autism?
• Cause various inflammatory diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis, ulcerative colitis, dermatitis herpetiformis, systemic lupus, pancreatic destruction, and increase measures of inflammation like c-reactive protein?
• Cause unexplained anemia, mood swings, fatigue, fibromyalgia, eczema, and osteoporosis?

The food is wheat. Yes, the ubiquitous grain we are urged to eat more and more of by the USDA (8-11 servings per day, according to the USDA food pyramid), American Heart Association, American Dietetic Association, and the American Diabetes Association. Wheat is among the most destructive ingredients in the modern diet, worse than sugar, worse than high-fructose corn syrup, worse than any fat.

What other common food can result in such an extensive list of diseases, even death?</blockquote>

I know I sound like a goofball on here sometimes with my anti-grain agenda, and probably to those around me. "You don't eat that!? But...but you're missing out of a balanced diet!" There's a lot of good reasons. Not everyone has celiac's disease, but many have increased sensitivity (and a host of odd issues described above) related to wheat consumption. These may not appear on a medical test. The best "testing" you have in your hands is to stop eating wheat for a couple weeks and document how you feel. If you wish, take it to the next level and knock out gluten consumption completely and then document how you feel. You might knock off a few pounds or inches from the waist from the lack of "wheat bloat". You may alleviate some unknown issues with inflammation (for me, it was achy hands and joints - no more wheat, fewer achy joints.) You might not. It depends on the person. If you suspect you're having some issues, give it a shot. I know that when I do eat something with wheat in it, the issues return (temporarily, until I give wheat the boot again).

Do keep in mind that other high-gluten grains like kamut, barley, rye, and spelt may also trigger some issues. If a product says "healthy whole grain" it typically includes wheat in some form or another high-gluten grain. Typically grains like rice and quinoa (grain-like seed) produce fewer irritations and make reasonable substitutes. Many GF products are made with rice or tapioca flour.

So...if you cut out the wheat and/or gluten and are feeling pretty darn good and your doctor tells you you're "missing out" of a healthy diet, well then, now you've got some good evidence on your side.

Replies

• nicolee516
    nicolee516 Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    That's cool that you posted this!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: I cut out wheat about 7 years ago and man did I notice a HUGE difference! Another one to check into, which I don't have any documentation to post right here, butI have read about is Soy. Especially for women. It messes with your thyroid function. It acts like an estrogen in your system. Check it out!
  • pfeif21
    pfeif21 Posts: 27
    Options
    what type of things do you eat if you are going on a gluten free diet? I've thought about it but i am not really sure of what foods fall under that category?
  • kat05317
    kat05317 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I am just curious, but how do you get enough fiber? I know some people are sensitive/allergic to wheat and or gluten, but what do you eat in it's place? To help keep your diet as balanced as possible I mean. Forgive the ignorance, I am just trying to learn more about this. Thanks.
    Kat
  • cardigirl
    cardigirl Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I'm asking this in all seriousness, and hopefully, with some respect for your passion, but could you explain why Dr. Davis' point of view is more valid than other sources? Thanks in advance.

I've been on a 50% carbs/30% protein/20%fat diet for awhile now. I feel awesome, I have tons of energy, my skin and hair look great and I've lost almost 30 pounds. I do eat wheat, I wasn't before. I also work out (hard) for about 45 minutes 6 times a week. My body fat percentage has come down to 20%.

Absolutely, different things work differently for different persons, that's a given. But my diet has helped to lower my blood pressure, and increased my energy beyond what I thought anything could. But I think I'm not crazy because I do eat whole grains.
  • mrd232
    mrd232 Posts: 331
    Options
    I'm asking this in all seriousness, and hopefully, with some respect for your passion, but could you explain why Dr. Davis' point of view is more valid than other sources? Thanks in advance.

I've been on a 50% carbs/30% protein/20%fat diet for awhile now. I feel awesome, I have tons of energy, my skin and hair look great and I've lost almost 30 pounds. I do eat wheat, I wasn't before. I also work out (hard) for about 45 minutes 6 times a week. My body fat percentage has come down to 20%.

Absolutely, different things work differently for different persons, that's a given. But my diet has helped to lower my blood pressure, and increased my energy beyond what I thought anything could. But I think I'm not crazy because I do eat whole grains.

It goes beyond Dr. Davis, honestly. He simply presented a reasonable summary of noticeable side effects of wheat and high gluten grains.

If you can eat wheat to your heart's content then great! Some of us simply cannot and it seems to be an ingredient that is not pinpointed as a "problem" or allergen.
  • cardigirl
    Options

It goes beyond Dr. Davis, honestly. He simply presented a reasonable summary of noticeable side effects of wheat and high gluten grains.

If you can eat wheat to your heart's content then great! Some of us simply cannot and it seems to be an ingredient that is not pinpointed as a "problem" or allergen.

I understand that you have a whole host of reading you've done, but you recommended his book, and I was wondering what his actual qualifications were.

Having an allergy to wheat is one thing. Saying that people are not meant to eat grains is another thing entirely.
  • mrd232
    Options
    what type of things do you eat if you are going on a gluten free diet? I've thought about it but i am not really sure of what foods fall under that category?

I don't eat grains, which for many is out of the question... A typical dinner for me at night is a cut of grass fed steak and a side of vegetables, or a large salad. The emphasis in my diet is on a solid protein source (meat, fish, eggs), and vegetables and fruits. I eat some dairy.

Substitutions for gluten-heavy grains are rice, quinoa, breads made with gluten free flours (tapioca, potato, rice, etc).
  • mrd232
    Options

I understand that you have a whole host of reading you've done, but you recommended his book, and I was wondering what his actual qualifications were.

Having an allergy to wheat is one thing. Saying that people are not meant to eat grains is another thing entirely.

I realize I'm a complete anomaly for not eating grains. Honestly, that's someone's personal decision. I'm not going to get into a row with them about it, because there can be some room for them in a daily diet. I choose not to eat them, is all.

Dr. Davis is a cardiologist who posts several commentaries a week regarding the effect of specific nutrition on coronary function along with some overlap into thyroid issues and diabetes. Is he the end all be all of information? No, but I found the blog post to be a nice summary. I can go dig up some more that I have laying about here about wheat.
  • mrd232
    Options
    Just wanted to clarify this wasn't some attack post against those who do eat wheat. If you're doing well eating it, then great! Good for you.

What I was trying to get at here is that if wheat isn't a part of your diet, you're not missing out on vital nutrition.

Regarding fiber intake... a healthy intake of 5-7 servings of fruits and vegetables every day along with a nice intake of dietary fat keeps my digestive system uh...running smoothly and on schedule. I've actually noticed fewer issues with indigestion, bloating, and constipation since kicking out the grains. I also make sure to keep hydrated with water. Big helper.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I had food allergies as a child, so I understand being allergic to things.

What I don't understand is the which hunt on a certain types of food. I even read a study by some doctor looking for attention that said Ice in your water makes you more hungry, and so you eat more, his conclusion is ice makes us fat.

Give me a freaking break. If we followed all of these EXPERTS, NOTHING would be safe to eat or drink.

The one theory that most people tend to agree with is most things are ok...unless you have too much. Which is how most of us got here.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options

I don't eat grains, which for many is out of the question... A typical dinner for me at night is a cut of grass fed steak and a side of vegetables, or a large salad. The emphasis in my diet is on a solid protein source (meat, fish, eggs), and vegetables and fruits. I eat some dairy.

Substitutions for gluten-heavy grains are rice, quinoa, breads made with gluten free flours (tapioca, potato, rice, etc).

I have increased my consumption of rice over the last few weeks...but isn't rice a grain?
  • cardigirl
    Options
    I think it's great that you do well by not eating grains, seems to work for you, I don't know if you've been diagnosed with an actual allergy to wheat or not, but certainly, your diet seems to be working for you at this time.

I'm just saying that mine is working for me as well, so whole wheat and beans and whatever else is not a part of one person's diet, works very well for me and are not the demon foods that I sometimes see people posting them as.

In actuality, we probably eat very similarly in that we eat a lot of whole vegetables, whole fruit, lean protein, and we watch the portions. And we try to avoid overly processed foods. You choose to get your carbs from other things other than wheat. I get that.

I was wondering, and possibly this might be a good topic for a different thread, if you have read The China Study, by Dr. T. Colin Campbell?
  • mrd232
    Options
    I think it's great that you do well by not eating grains, seems to work for you, I don't know if you've been diagnosed with an actual allergy to wheat or not, but certainly, your diet seems to be working for you at this time.

I'm just saying that mine is working for me as well, so whole wheat and beans and whatever else is not a part of one person's diet, works very well for me and are not the demon foods that I sometimes see people posting them as.

In actuality, we probably eat very similarly in that we eat a lot of whole vegetables, whole fruit, lean protein, and we watch the portions. And we try to avoid overly processed foods. You choose to get your carbs from other things other than wheat. I get that.

I was wondering, and possibly this might be a good topic for a different thread, if you have read The China Study, by Dr. T. Colin Campbell?

I read the TCS a couple years ago. Good points are made regarding the Chinese diet being higher in vegetable intake, relatively lower in protein...I used to be a vegetarian and really read into a lot of the points, eliminated dairy, excessive protein, and such, but still was a little unsure of some of the studies presented in the book. Using rats to compare human nutrition cause and effect is usually faulty as our genetic nutritional requirements are highly varied. What disturbs me the most is that the original research data does not agree with Campbell's generalizations against animal protein made in the book. Cambell omitted any evidence that sugar consumption can produce almost 7 times the rate of cancer growth than that of animal products.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options

The food is wheat. Yes, the ubiquitous grain we are urged to eat more and more of by the USDA (8-11 servings per day, according to the USDA food pyramid),

Not that I'm backing the USDA by any means or that I'm even saying wheat doesn't cause problems in some people (because obviously it does), but seriously, what food pyramid is this guy talking about? The food pyramid I see recommends *3 ounces* (which is far from "8-11 servings") of WHOLE GRAINS (not specifically wheat) per day. http://www.mypyramid.gov/pyramid/index.html

My point would be, if he stretches the truth so much on that little fact (lie), what else is he exaggerating?
  • mrd232
    Options
    I had food allergies as a child, so I understand being allergic to things.

What I don't understand is the which hunt on a certain types of food. I even read a study by some doctor looking for attention that said Ice in your water makes you more hungry, and so you eat more, his conclusion is ice makes us fat.

Give me a freaking break. If we followed all of these EXPERTS, NOTHING would be safe to eat or drink.

The one theory that most people tend to agree with is most things are ok...unless you have too much. Which is how most of us got here.

Well, removing an item from your diet because it is a specific allergen is one thing. Removing it based on an observational study that it's "bad" is another. I mean, I eat a lot of things most would consider "bad" or "no-no" foods like butter and whole milk.

I guess it's like this - If a food is very irritating to you (like dairy, for some) you can A) Eat and deal with the consequences or B) Avoid it. I'm choosing to avoid grains.

Regarding grains, I've found avoiding them has significantly reduced digestive issues that I've had since childhood. Plus, I try to keep my carb count fairly low and achieve required carbs through fruit and veggie intake. A big cup of rice usually skyrockets my carbs for a day, but I do it every now and again if I really need that boost. I'm not to the point where I will not touch them or EVER eat them again. I like good gourmet food and will have a small serving of a non-gluten grain every now and again. Rice, quinoa, etc.
  • mrd232
    Options

The food is wheat. Yes, the ubiquitous grain we are urged to eat more and more of by the USDA (8-11 servings per day, according to the USDA food pyramid),

Not that I'm backing the USDA by any means or that I'm even saying wheat doesn't cause problems in some people (because obviously it does), but seriously, what food pyramid is this guy talking about? The food pyramid I see recommends *3 ounces* (which is far from "8-11 servings") of WHOLE GRAINS (not specifically wheat) per day. http://www.mypyramid.gov/pyramid/index.html

My point would be, if he stretches the truth so much on that little fact (lie), what else is he exaggerating?

My handy Aetna- provided food pyramid states "6 to 11 servings" per day.
  • LittleSpy
    Options

He specifically stated "USDA food pyramid." That would be this one - http://www.mypyramid.gov/pyramid/index.html
    "Eat at least 3 ounces of whole grain bread, cereal, crackers, rice, or pasta every day."
    Fact check complete.
  • mrd232
    Options

He specifically stated "USDA food pyramid." That would be this one - http://www.mypyramid.gov/pyramid/index.html
    "Eat at least 3 ounces of whole grain bread, cereal, crackers, rice, or pasta every day."
    Fact check complete.

Ahh yes, you're correct. He was referring to the older USDA food pyramid.
  • LittleSpy
    Options
    Alright. I still don't think I've ever seen one say eight -11 servings, though. 11 servings of grains, yeesh, I can't even imagine trying to eat that.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I am just curious, but how do you get enough fiber? I know some people are sensitive/allergic to wheat and or gluten, but what do you eat in it's place? To help keep your diet as balanced as possible I mean. Forgive the ignorance, I am just trying to learn more about this. Thanks.
    Kat

We as humand don't actually need fiber. That high fiber crap started being pounded into our brains back in the 50's or 60's..............and the goverment and medical establishments want to keep touting the low calorie, low fat, high fiber diet plans that are killing us and causing more and more issues.

Watch this video.........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yTOMQr-Qss