Replace all meats in diet with whey?

Options
I like to eat meat, but the last few months it just weighs me down and makes me feel real lousy in general (with seafood being the exception). When I use whey alone as a protein source, I feel a million times better. Are there any downsides to cutting out all meats and just using whey powder alone for your protein source?

Replies

• truefaithfarm
    Options
    Why not try more natural, whole food options for getting the protein your body needs? Like beans, cheese, yogurt, eggs, etc. That way, you'd have a broader range of nutrition getting into your body, as opposed to limiting yourself to the nutrition gained from whey. Just switch to a vegetarian diet. Millions of folks do just that! :D
  • angelashay42
    angelashay42 Posts: 286
    Options
    I don't know about only using whey but I'm a vegetarian, I don't eat any meat at all. There are other things besides meat that has protein. I eat cottage cheese, yogurt, peanut butter, almonds, edamame, soy milk, eggs, beans, legumes, etc.
  • angelashay42
    Options
    So I just browsed through your food diary. I don't think it's the fact that you eat meat that's making you feel lousy, it's that you ONLY eat meat and simple carbs (granola bars, ice cream, sugary cereal, etc). If you want to feel better, add fruits and vegetables to your diet, I guarantee you'll feel soooo much better.
  • futuremalestripper
    futuremalestripper Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I don't know about only using whey but I'm a vegetarian, I don't eat any meat at all. There are other things besides meat that has protein. I eat cottage cheese, yogurt, peanut butter, almonds, edamame, soy milk, eggs, beans, legumes, etc.
    I do drink milk, but I'm also avoiding eggs and I personally dislike soy.

As a vegetarian, do you find it hard to hit like 60-70g of protein in a day?

Edit: I honestly feel great all day until I physically eat meat and then I feel bad. I agree that my last week of food hasn't been ideal, but the issue with the meat has been one for months.
  • noelkm67
    noelkm67 Posts: 118
    Options
    Try beans. And if you eat and log more fruits and veggies, you will begin to see that many of them have a good deal of protein, especially dark leafy greens.

I'm making a three bean salad this week and having it over some mixed greens with a few triscuits (love the cracked black pepper and olive oil flavor).

Sometimes I'll do a green salad with just an ounce or two of chicken breast or a few shrimp. Still light, but filling.

As for how you feel, I can honestly tell you that the weeks I get in more fresh fruits and veggies, the better I feel overall. That means more energy, a better disposition, and a lighter feeling allover. I also feel really happy and proud about my choices.
  • angelashay42
    Options

No, not at all. I get 60g of protein in before I even eat dinner. ! cup of cottage cheese has 20g of protein.
  • naomi8888
    naomi8888 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Eat more seafood. It has heaps of protein for a low amount of calories.
  • angelashay42
    Options

Edit: I honestly feel great all day until I physically eat meat and then I feel bad. I agree that my last week of food hasn't been ideal, but the issue with the meat has been one for months.

Not trying to be judgemental, just trying to help. Find something that you like... even if it's refried beans. A refried bean wrap with lettuce, salsa, plain greek yogurt, and cheese is delicious and lots of protein!
  • futuremalestripper
    futuremalestripper Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I guess I need to start hitting up the cheese and beans. I really appreciate the input.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I am a vegetarian and I eat plenty of beans and cheese and greek yogurt and all the vegetarian protein goodies, but I also supplement with whey. Whey is really easily absorbed- more so than any of the other suggestions, and it makes it easy to get the amount of protein I need to support my workouts. I aim for 130-140g protein a day.

BTW, the protein in cottage cheese IS whey...

ETA- I do eat some soy, but because of thyroid disease, I limit the amount of soy I use.
  • cheesy_blasters
    cheesy_blasters Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt is great and high in protein. If you eat smoothies or anything you can just add a scoop in with it. Cottage cheese is also good. I also use hemp hearts which are a good source of protein and easy to sprinkle on anything you eat. If you use your whey in a smoothie, add some hemp hearts and will it add omegas, fiber as well.

I try to eat mainly vegan/vegetarian and I find legumes are awesome for protein. I like to make chili or vegan tacos (lettuce leaves instead of taco shells) with bean filling.

I personally would avoid getting all your protein from one source esp. if you're talking about powdered whey protein. I just think it's better to have a varied diet, although if you try it and it works for you I guess it wouldn't be a big deal.

Are you avoided soy for taste or health reasons? I try not to eat a lot of processed soy stuff but I love edamame (the actual soy bean) and I find it tastes more like a legume than tofu or processed soy. If it's health reasons, lots of vegetarians have soy allergies so you might want to check out the herbivore group and try to get some suggestions from them!
  • angelashay42
    Options

Yes, but I feel it's better to eat whole foods, rather than grainy, powdery shakes. Not a fan of the protien powder sludge. I try to eat organic, whole foods. It's like the difference between juicing and eating the whole fruit. Maybe it's psychological, but it just seems healthier to me.
    Plus, I'm not trying to attain a muscular frame. I like my girlish figure. =)
  • cheesy_blasters
    cheesy_blasters Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Eat more seafood. It has heaps of protein for a low amount of calories.

Good idea! Seafood is really easy to prepare too. There are packs of lobster and crab flavoured pollack that you don't even need to cook. You can add them to pasta or with a bit of sauce and veggies.
  • josyjozy
    josyjozy Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I don't see any issue in using whey to replace meat. If it makes you feel better, go for it. I don't believe in this paleo diet. I do think you should try to not to eat too many processed food, but science is amazing! I encourage anyone to take advantage of it if it benefits them. I'm not disagreeing with the other food suggestions, but i don't believe you shouldn't use the whey either. Do you what you like and what makes you feel better.
  • angelashay42
    Options
    I don't believe in this paleo diet. I do think you should try to not to eat too many processed food, but science is amazing! I encourage anyone to take advantage of it if it benefits them.

Yes, because excess refined sugar, toxic chemicals, hormones, plastic, bugs, and rat feces are DELICIOUS! If you've ever seen the inside of a food processing plant, you'd change your mind.

http://www.foodrepublic.com/2012/03/14/6-scary-things-hiding-your-food

http://webecoist.momtastic.com/2009/05/08/10-weird-and-gross-ingredients-in-processed-food/
  • MoreBean13
    Options

Yes, but I feel it's better to eat whole foods, rather than grainy, powdery shakes. Not a fan of the protien powder sludge. I try to eat organic, whole foods. It's like the difference between juicing and eating the whole fruit. Maybe it's psychological, but it just seems healthier to me.

Riiight. Thank god you picked up on the fact that I'm trying to muscle up like a man. Because whey protein does that. But not if it's in cottage cheese.
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I like to eat meat, but the last few months it just weighs me down and makes me feel real lousy in general (with seafood being the exception). When I use whey alone as a protein source, I feel a million times better. Are there any downsides to cutting out all meats and just using whey powder alone for your protein source?

Micronutrients? Most meats have nutrients in them besides protein.
  • angelashay42
    Options

Riiight. Thank god you picked up on the fact that I'm trying to muscle up like a man. Because whey protein does that. But not if it's in cottage cheese.

To each his own but I didn't say anything about your goals. I merely saidthat I don't try to eat 120g of protein a day because that does not fit into my diet plan or goals. I prefer to get nutrients from whole foods. Then I complimented myself. Where did I mention you in there?
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 894 Member
    Options

Yep, just like lifting heavy is bad. Duh :P It will make us all beefy man-women...
  • MoreBean13
    Options

Yep, just like lifting heavy is bad. Duh :P It will make us all beefy man-women...
    :laugh: Roarrrrr. :flowerforyou: