Pinched nerves, need ideas

Options
For the last 5 years I've suffered from pinched nerves in both my neck and lower back (bulging discs). I am under the care of a wonderful chiropractor who has brought me back from delilitating pain without drugs or surgery. I am now at a place where I am able to walk for exercise, but still have to take it easy. My doctor has ruled out any strenuous exercise at this point, but I wonder if anyone is in a similar situation and has other cardio exercise tips that I could add? Thanks in advance for your help.

Replies

• 1953Judith
    1953Judith Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I am dealing with a burst L3 disk. I try to:

~~Walk at least a mile three times a week
    ~~Take a modified Tai Chi class weekly
    ~~Take a waterflow class weekly
    ~~Ride my bike 6 miles at least once a week (takes 45 minutes)
    ~~Swim once a week
    ~~Do physical therapy stretches, 3 sets twice a day

None give me old-fashioned aerobics, but they keep me moving! So that someday I can push it again without being totally out of shape.
  • Emili03
    Emili03 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Has anyone recommended an inversion table to you? It is old school but they are bringing these back and they are now much less expensive to purchase for home. I have seen several patients at the clinic where I work who have experienced good relief utilizing one. I would seek the advice of a physical therapist, even though you are seeing good results from chiropractic treatment. A PT can help you plan out an exercise regimen, as well as re-evaluate to determine when you can/should progress.
  • suzanne_oh
    suzanne_oh Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Thank you, I appreciate the ideas!
  • yogi_meg
    yogi_meg Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm dealing with something similar. I have a painful tumor in my back (waiting for test results to see how serious) and strenuous workouts really bother it. Long walks are about all I can handle right now. I've really let things go because of this and need to get back on track and not let this be an excuse any longer.

The swimming is a great idea. I should look into joining a gym with a pool. I'm looking Forward
    to reading other ideas