Who has maintained weight on a cruise?

Options
I'm so lucky to be taking a 2 week cruise this month but worry about gaining the weight I've lost (and still want to lose a few). I won't have MFP access while on board.I find it easy to let portion sizes creep up or eat at times I wouldn't at home. Any suggestions?

Replies

• Lando_pr
    Lando_pr Posts: 36
    Options
    That is physically impossible. Lol Try getting a lot of veggies and salad to complement your otherwise not so MFP approved meal. Jog at the track in the mornings. Walk around your destinations. And more than anything else, enjoy your trip. If you gain a couple I am pretty sure you'll take care of them back home.
  • Marefr
    Marefr Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestion and confidence!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    You might gain, but meanwhile you'll be having an excellent time and eating some wonderful food and you can lose it all when you get back!

Cruise ships are huge - you will walk and walk and walk all week long! Just going from the dining room to the show room is a hike.

Pick some shore excursions that include activity. Kayaking, ziplining, a walking tour, etc.... if available.

Take advantage of the gym and the jogging track, do some pool exercises. I think all the cruises have some type of exercise classes available - on the first day there's usually a chance to tour the facilities.

If there is an all day buffet w/fruits & veggies - take advantage! Fill up on the good stuff before having the treat stuff.

Most importantly - HAVE FUN and ENJOY!!!
  • cozmosis77
    cozmosis77 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I actually LOST weight on the last cruise I took (although only a pound or so)!

For me, the key was taking the stairs EVERYWHERE I went and controlling my portions at the buffet (the sit down establishments seem to have fairly sensible portions as long as you don't ask for two servings).
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Been on a few since I have been on MFP - gained weight but was able to lose it. Still trying to get a few more lbs off from last one. Drinking does not help - I had one cocktail (martini bar) most nights before dinner and wine with dinner. Ordered seafood and extra veggies most nights and did taste a couple of desserts. Load up on a healthy breakfast (eggs, fruit, yogurt) don't partake of the bread baskets and stay away from things like pizza/pasta. I was generally away from the ship for lunch and enjoyed a healthy full dinner - with a few nights of splurging.

Use the fitness center and pools Before or after excursions and on "at sea" days.

Don't weigh as soon as you return - travel makes you retain water and swell up. Wait a few days.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Avoid the sugars and grains and enjoy lots of everything else, including wine :)
  • mattiol4
    mattiol4 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I actually lost weight on the cruise I went on last Christmas! My advice is not eat everything on your dinner plate. I ate about half of what I was served at dinner and only allowed myself one treat per day. Consider healthy options for both breakfast and lunch. Also, take walks around the deck at night and watch the sunset and take advantage of the exercise room if they have one.

Have fun and good luck! :)
  • spigenerb
    spigenerb Posts: 29
    Options
    Why not just enjoy the cruise. We have a "no diet" policy at our house for vacations. 1 week out of 52 won't hurt at all. Even if you put on 5lbs it would be mostly water from the sugars and sodium. You'll be back down where you started in a week or two after you get back. When my wife goes on them she usually diets very strictly for a month before so she doesn't have to worry about it. I say she goes on them because I went on one and its just not very active so I was pretty bored. I don't drink at all so there wasn't much for me to do since I can't stand to just lay around.
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I did, but only 'cause the cruise food sucked. Actually the whole cruise kinda sucked. Carnival Fun Cruise = bunch of screaming brats and crappy food lol.
  • bjs06
    bjs06 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    My mom was 5-10lbs from goal when she went on a cruise this year. The cruise was one week but after that she also did a road trip the whole way from California to Toronto (id be 10lbs heavier when i got back, easily). She stayed exactly the same!! It's totally possible. She told herself to wait for a dessert that really struck her - one she could never resist. That dessert never came so she didn't have one dessert on the cruise. She just ate smart and tried to keep moving. She's a rockstar. We can all do it though :)
  • Marefr
    Marefr Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! I really appreciate it. I'll report back when I return (we still don't leave for a couple of weeks).
  • rebrcca3434
    Options
    You probably won't stay the same lol. I will say when I go on a long cruise may one of my favorite things to do is go up on the top deck where they have the walking track or go to the gym and then the sauna so you should be able to work out. Just eat what you want in moderation and don't go to crazy with the free food.