Idea for an oatmeal cookbook - need feedback!

Options
Hey guys,

I have an idea for a cookbook I want to make, and I wanted to know if this is something worth pursuing.

I LOVE OATMEAL. I eat it everyday. A lot of people do. There are a lot of recipes out there, and a lot of cookbooks containing recipes for "gourmet-style oatmeal", baked good with oatmeal etc.

My book idea is this:
Fast oatmeal breakfast recipes - maximum 10 minutes prep time. Using old fashioned oats, cooking them on the stove and then adding quick healthy foods on top to make a quick balanced meal. I would make 52 recipes, one for each week of the year so it's easy to implement some awesome variation in your breakfast, even with your busy schedule.

If you eat oatmeal regularly for breakfast, I would love to hear your opinion on this project!

Replies

• TaniaCorric
    TaniaCorric Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Great idea
    i always and frozen berries or dried cranberries before i cook in microwave
    and add yogurt after cooking
  • ki4yxo
    ki4yxo Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Step 1: Prepare oatmeal.
    Step 2: Add a little milk to make it creamy. (it don't take much)
    Step 3: Add 2 TBS of Ovaltine per serving.
    Step 4: Enjoy!

That's how my dad made it for us kids,
    and that's how I make it for mine!

cheers2.gif
  • leelafit_mtl
    leelafit_mtl Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    super good idea!

Do you know this website?! it's just an idea..

www.Blurb.com
  • erikkasusann
    erikkasusann Posts: 104
    Options
    Cookbooks are tough these days without a really good "hook". I like your idea, but it might get more attention as a blog, like post a different recipe & pic each day. Best of luck!
  • Angiesolomon
    Angiesolomon Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Love Oatmeal (porridge in the UK)

I eat it with just milk and water!

I mix with Soya milk for a bit of a change sometimes
  • kathyms13
    kathyms13 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    i soak mine in juice then add fat free yoghurt and fresh fruit, but havent had it lately cos it works out high calls.
  • toysbigkid
    toysbigkid Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I llike mine with peanut butter.............good idea, I'd buy a book featuring all kind of breakfast ideas with oatmeal, yum!
  • superderryo
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback guys! Nice to hear there are more oatmeal-obsessed people out there like me :)

erikkausann: I agree with you. The reason I think this would be unique, is because all other cookbooks that i've seen featuring oatmeal merely include fancy, dessert-style recipes.
    What I'd like to see is the quick, healthy, balanced recipes for people who live a busy life and have oatmeal for breakfast every day.

The recipes in the book i'm thinking of would be really simple! Like 2-3 added ingredients max.
    Imagine 52 quick recipes, with the best combination of 2-3 ingredients in your oatmeal, so you can change it up every week.
    Berries, healthy fats, spices, extra protein etc.
    I would also have profiled fitness/wellness/health enthusiasts sharing their favorite recipe.
  • yentess
    yentess Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I was thinking the same thing about making it a blog. I love cooking, but with Pinterest and the recipe sites and blogs I no longer buy cookbooks because I can find what I want free online. There are ways to make money with blogs and after you do a series on oatmeal you can expand and do similar series on salads, soups, yogurt parfaits, omelets, sandiwches/wraps. I mean really possibilities are endless! Best of luck with whatever path you choose!
  • yentess
    yentess Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Cookbooks are tough these days without a really good "hook". I like your idea, but it might get more attention as a blog, like post a different recipe & pic each day. Best of luck!
  • superderryo
    Options
    I get what you mean! Maybe I'll just start a blog.. man I got all these good ideas. Just wanna make a tribute to the almighty oatmeal and express myself :)
  • ValgA
    ValgA Posts: 30
    Options
    Got this from a blog called the Gracious Pantry. It's a little different from my usual- as it's a savory oatmeal instead of my usual sweet. Used portabello mushrooms and red onions with 1 tsp of olive oil, though next time I might through in an egg for the protein.

http://www.thegraciouspantry.com/clean-eating-savory-oatmeal/

I liked that it was something a bit different from my usual oatmeal mixes! It also opens up ideas for other savory oatmeal mixes.

Also, awesome idea! I love oatmeal! Let me know if you ever get your blog up!
  • leslieanne1010
    leslieanne1010 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    bump
  • br2012
    br2012 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I would definitely stress the quick part and maybe add in natural as your unique handle on it. I have that popular one with tons of yummy recipes in it but most use the oven and fake sugar syrups.