Type 2 Diabetic with high bp / needs food

Now that I am over my fit throwing about having diabetes and am ready to eat what I need instead of what I want.
Can anyone give me ideas of fast, easy, packable, portable foods that arent always vegitables , that can pack up and travel to work with me or in my car while I run arround crazily?

Replies

• purple_tux1
    purple_tux1 Posts: 250 Member
    Hard boiled eggs?
  • Gr8ChangesAhead
    Gr8ChangesAhead Posts: 836 Member
    whole grain bread and peanut butter, fruit, chicken with whole grain bread, A potein and carbs keep my sugars steady and low salt for b/p. If you have been just diagnosed ask your physician to give you a referral to a nutritionist. Kimi
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Kashi cereal (except the Honey puffs one, it tastes like cardboard)
    greek yogurt - plain with fruit (like bueberries, mush it up with your spoon)
    hard boiled eggs
    apples
    vegetable chips (Stop & Shop has their own line thats yummy) with laughing cow cheese (garlic & herb is good)
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Nuts?
    Pre-bag stuff in serving sizes so you can keep track.
    I've been through this, and that worked for me.
  • Thatsdatdiva601
    Thatsdatdiva601 Posts: 209 Member
    Bump, in the same boat!
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    I've just started this - it's free
    - http://fitbie.msn.com/program/diabetes-dtour-diet/daily_plan/week-1/5

they send you a menu every day- give u a shopping list beginning each week. good meals, not hard -
  • tiagayle
    tiagayle Posts: 4
    Thank you everyone for your input and advice, it is appreciated.
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    greek yogurt

Josephs pitas are great for making sandwiches with a lower glycemic index than regular breads. Stuff with spinach and chicken (mix with salsa and quacomole to make a chicken salad).

Almonds, oranges, Pure Protein protein bars are some of my go to snacks.
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Kind Bars are great. They have 11-18 grams of carbs each and 2 have 10 grams of protein. One of the biggest helpers I have is preparing meat ahead of time. On Sundays I grill or bake some kind of marinated chicken. You can freeze it in meals size portions and pack it to take to work. If you can port cold things string cheese is great as well. Planters Nutrition comes in fruit/nut blends that are tasty. Good luck to you!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Cheese, nuts, cooked sausage, ham.

Nothing with bread for sure - you have a carbohydrate intolerance, ditch the carbs.
  • Kalynx
    Kalynx Posts: 707 Member
    I have said it before and will say it again - my reasoning and needs arent the same for everyone but I have major heart health issues and was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes 8 yrs ago..I controlled the diabetes for last 7 years WITHOUT medication..but didn't lose weight..I really wasn't trying to lose fat - and I ignored doctors suggestions on lowering sodium until I was in a really bad place..that said..

pack your own food for work, breakfast and lunch and snacks!

left overs are great - try to learn how to make things at home that reheat well and you love/crave.

chose better ingredients - read the labels. compare calories vs sodium..or calories vs fat + sodium...they have to add FLAVOR and shelf life somehow!! sometimes the full fat version is better sodium wise and our body processes natural fats more easily and burns it quickly for energy vs bad fats & high carb items.

store healthy versatile snacks in your desk at work that do not spoil quickly. My current inventory includes 50/fifty brand peanut butter, grated parmesan cheese (great as a salad dressing alternative, or on baby carrots, or on pasta dishes)

Try to have all food types in your breakfast meal, dairy carbs protein and fats, but limit other two meals to only one "focused" on carbs...like only one meal with pasta, or just one sandwich the other meal should be more protein/veggie based (chicken breasts stuffed with whatever, or a good steak, or a burger with fewer condiments and no bun, or a good grill steak or pork chop..or just scrambled egg).

dont focus on LOW fat items - learn what healthy fats are and the good they do for you body and digestion (especially with veggies)..usually the "fake" diet items are less satisfying and you eat way more than you need..and they just arent that good.

Check out sea salt (some great benefits if you research it) - and learn how many of your cranks (measure it once so you KNOW) = how much sodium....keep a grinder at your desk at work and near your dining area at home..consider it when salting food and log it...it ads up but some things just need salt!!!
  • Kalynx
    oh - and best advice ever - add friends on MPF with YOUR needs...similar goals/dietary needs goes a long ways ..and you can get great ideas for your shopping list by reading diaries!!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    oh - and best advice ever - add friends on MPF with YOUR needs...similar goals/dietary needs goes a long ways ..and you can get great ideas for your shopping list by reading diaries!!
    May I ask why you don't track carbs ? Seems odd for a diabetic.
  • Kalynx
    May I ask why you don't track carbs ? Seems odd for a diabetic.

because I am comfortable with my carb intake -and I can always check it when viewing my diary by hitting the "view printable report" button if I am concerned..I KNOW I am able to control it with choices via proven blood work results over the past 7 years but if I feel I am going over I can easily check.

Right now a focus for me is still lowering sodium and at least matching it with potassium..or if not exceding it. Without a healthy heart or kidneys no matter what I do, if those things fail I am up a creek! I also would rather monitor protein and fats - I dont want too much fat, but want to get near my protein goal most days - that helps me keep carbs down, too. and without enough fiber..well..I wont go there LOL but its not pretty!!! and very uncomfortable!!LOL

to each their own!
  • Shajadea
    Shajadea Posts: 57 Member
    I, too, have type 2 diabetes. For me, exercise is a must! I try to get some in every day. I have been in denial off and on for years, it's a hard pill to swallow thinking you have to change your life or give your life up! A couple of weeks ago I went on just a plant based diet and it was easy for the week. My blood sugar numbers did go down! I felt great, my acid reflux disappeared, I slept really good at night and then out of no where the animal product monster came banging on the door and I caved! Honestly, I think we just have to find the right balance of natural whole foods that works for us. So, whole grains, real fresh fruits and veggies and meats and dairy of your choice . The processed stuff is tasty but does nothing positive for our biology.
    For me the best advice I have taken has been to keep quick and easy packets of fruits, veggies, nuts and/or dried fruits around for when I have the demon snack attack!
    Good Luck!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    dlife.com
  • CJuliaV
    CJuliaV Posts: 34 Member
    nuts nuts nuts. It's what i was told by one of my mfp friends when I needed to eat more, but was going through a fear of food. i buy super cute kids snack bags at target and pack 24 (the going measurement on mfp) almonds in each one. two per day, though I carry 4 in my purse every where in case I get stuck. i also make a batch of quinoa and separate it into half cup portions. they can last all day in the car no problem. i toss one in my purse, and bring them to work. i put veggies on them (snap peas, carrots, spinach, asparagus which all keep just fine during the day without refrigeration). also i grab a baggie of raw asparagus or whatever you like, and 2T portions of hummus. that can stay just fine without refrigeration. i use the smallest glad plastic container for it so it doesnt get smushed.
  • _hi_hat3r_
    _hi_hat3r_ Posts: 423 Member
    Starkist tuna pouches....different flavors
  • Masharitos
    Masharitos Posts: 106
    I agree with those who say ditch the carbs! You don't need them. Try Miracle Noodles. I made pizza with them yesterday, will make lasagna soon. I wish I could share recipes. I made Almond flour cookies (.77 net carbs) , and flat flax seed bread (0net carbs there). There are tons of low carb recipes out there, so you can get very creative. Make ahead and you're set for the week.