Activity level? Any waitresses out there?

Options
I'm a waitress and am having trouble judging my activity level -- I have it marked as "sedentary" at the moment because on my days off from work I am sitting down for most of the day, but the days I work I am on my feet constantly. My heart rate isn't up or anything, so it's certainly not "exercise," but it's not completely sedentary either. I only work 3-4 days a week, however, though I do run 3+ miles 5 days a week.

Any other waitresses/waiters around here? What do you mark your activity level as?

I'm 5'10", about 146, and MFP has my calories set at 1370, by the way. I think if I moved up an activity level they'd be at like 1500? That seems like too much to me though.

Replies

• My personal trainers have told me that at least 180 minutes of at least moderate intensity exercise weekly makes you a moderately active person. So, just taking into account your exercise before your job, you are moderately active.
  • RoanneRed
    RoanneRed Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I'm a former waitress and, although it depends on the restaurant to some extent, I had to smile when I saw MFP suggest it as a 'lightly active' job - I'd always consider it moderately active in the places I've worked or else you're not doing it right!

The other option would be to leave you activity level as sedentary and then put in exercise for your work hours, perhaps walking at slow or moderate pace - that would allow for your days off.
  • mommanurse33
    mommanurse33 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I am not a waitress, but I see your concern. I am a nurse working in a medical/surgical unit. There really isn't a lot of downtime, yet MFP considers nursing to be light activity. I feel like I run my tail off, 99% of the time. Good luck!!
  • Guitarjon
    Guitarjon Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I was a waiter for many years whilst studying. I worked in a variety of places but would defiantly say I was lightly to moderatly active or the one up from sedentary. Especially when the weather is warm you can easily build a sweat up and those plates ain't light if your carrying 4/5 at a time.

I used to do a lot of weddings and banquets as a posed to ordinary restaurants but I did that too. I wouldn't say the restaurant was quite as much of a slog but still on your feet.