walking vs running

Options

Replies

• delmc1
    delmc1 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I see a chiropractor and he discourages people from running.

Small world, I see an MD and he discourages people from seeing chiropractors...
    bahhahaha:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • CGreen177
    CGreen177 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Totally agree with the walking on an incline comments. I was amazed at how many calories that burned when I tried it one day when I just couldn't face the elliptical trainer. I don't run just now because of an injury (which may, or may not, have been caused by running!) but hoping to start again at some point and mix up the 2.
  • marjmoo
    marjmoo Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi All

Had a quick read of most of the opinions and expert opinions of walking / running. For what it's worth both have their place in exercise and wellbeing. Good 3 mile walk with dogs whilst chatting and putting the world to rights, later in the day a 3-4 mile run for my cardio exercise worlks well - and no you back, knees etc should not struggle they strengthen, just start off slowly - the benefits are enourmous. To help with both pilates is brill it helps with posture and general tone - cannot rate it enough !! Oh and gives me far more calories to "spend"
  • MOS3
    MOS3 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I like both walking and running. Walking for me is relaxing and burns more fat. I also run once or twice a week because it increases my overall fitness. So I would just do what feels right for you.
  • PaulaAW
    PaulaAW Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    On the whole I enjoy walking but I am trying to get some muscle tone built so I have a quick jog every now and again. I also like to raise my heart rate to get a little after burn in.
    It's all down to how much you want to push yourself, how much time you have and personal choose.
    Good luck with your journey.
  • larkiedeek
    larkiedeek Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I just started training on the treadmill at the moment. I do a 3-5 min walk to warm up, a 30-35min run at a steady pace, then a 3-5 min at the end to cool down.

If you are running and walking you will be both burning calories and build some muscle. My legs are very sore which feels like I have worked them out. I never got that from walking my dog.

I would say keep doing what works. If you feel like you have a workout then keep doing it.

WATP
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Yeah my mum heard somewhere that walking was the best exercise so she now thinks she has done an hour workout after browsing round the shops looking for shoes.

Run if you can - if you can't then walk as a decent 2nd best.
  • NomiS6
    NomiS6 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Tredmill at 5Kph, watch 2 "Little Britian" Episodes time flies by.
  • ludgerclay
    ludgerclay Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I have a treadmill and i also go out walking for an hour a day, i can only manged 30 minutes, walk/run on the treadmill, if i was to just do walking for my exercise will i get the same benefits

No, you won't get the same benefits from walking as you will from running. You won't burn calories as quickly, you won't get your pulse rate as elevated to strengthen your cardiovascular system. You won't develop the range of motion and strength in your hips and core muscles to support a running stride, you won't develop the neural pathways required to provide the quick reflexes needed for foot placement when running. You won't develop the mental strength to keep running when your body fools you into thinking it's tired.

However, if the benefit your are looking for is burning calories and basic cardiovascular health, then walking will give you those benefits.
  • jlbay
    jlbay Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    SO much info on this very thing is available online and here in MFP. In my experience, most people have fixed ideas on either side of the debate, no matter what you tell them :wink:

They are both great exercises, and do slightly different things for you.

If you can't run or don't like to, walking is great exercise, especially if you use hills or treadmill inclines to vary your work out. My mom was an enthusiastic walker and kept in great shape for years (until she gave it up).

I promise you - you won't get the same CV workout walking as you do running! Don't believe me? Go walk a lap around the track, then try to run a lap.

I hear SO many people (who are not runners) say that running is going to "wreck my body." My doctor and physio, on the other hand, are working enthusiastically to get me back to running (after a car accident back injury). I've never found this body wreckage to be born out by the things I've read, experienced or heard from my doctor or physio or trainers. I ran for years with zero injuries or joint problems (and I had no training about running going in). In fact, both my doctor and physio said that the best thing for bone health is some impact aerobics and that joints, muscles etc. benefit from normal exercise stress. Is running a risk free activity? No, but people injure themselves in all sorts of activities for all sorts of reasons. I ran moderate distances with smart training and never felt better - so I think my risks were more along the lines of hidden potholes in trails, unchained dogs and stupid motorists. Actually, my knees never felt so bad as when I've been sitting and not working out.

Either way - the risks of a sedentary life far outweigh the risks of walking OR running. Just get moving.
  • CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I see a chiropractor and he discourages people from running.

Small world, I see an MD and he discourages people from seeing chiropractors...
    ^^This! :laugh: My doctor told me under no circumstances to let a chiropractor anywhere near my spine. I improved my spinal and hip issues with a combination of pilates, walking, karate and RUNNING. I have recently gone back to the latter. As long as you do it sensibly and build up slowly, and only if you want to, you should be fine. But you could always check with your doctor if you are concerned or have a health condition that might be relevant. My doctor is fine with me running and I have a fair bit of weight to lose. Running isn't for everyone though. Do what you enjoy :happy:
  • pedraz
    pedraz Posts: 173
    Options
    Nordic walking is great because it works your upper body more than just plain walking yet, it's easier on the joints than running. I definitely feel the burn in the tricept area and arrive at a decent calorie burn more easily than regular brisk walking. Technique is very important though in order to benefit. There's lot's of info on youtube.and other various sites... Doesn't seem to be as popular in the States but it's quite common in CH. Effective!!!
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I started with walking and now I am running. Running is shaping my body better than walking ever did. I did have to be ready for running though and I was very scared to try it. Haha the first time I started running I fell flat on my face and scraped my knee. I fell again yesterday, hoping no one in town saw. Haha. Running was not right for me before, but it is right for me now as I am always trying to push myself. I liked walking a lot but when I was doing it a ton (I walked about 3 hours daily) but now I looove running because of the way it is making me feel. I can't get this feeling doing anything else really so I am hooked. Not to mention my butt and legs are stronger than ever before. I love running long distances.
  • DaveC29
    DaveC29 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Walking is better for you...running will wreak long term havoc on your back, hips, knees, ankles, and feet. Almost every runner I know in my age bracket is an orthopedic doctor's dream. Back problems, knee problems, etc. I see a chiropractor and he discourages people from running. Particularly if you are overweight. Walking is the best cardio activity and it is a natural movement. You may get a workout in quicker, but the long term ramifications aren't worth it. Of course, this is my opinion...and as we know, opinions are like elbows, and everyone has one :)

Yeah, my Personal Trainer told me this too- 700 miles ago when I started running! He told me working with weights is the best way to get fit and I only needed to so cardio 2 times a week for 20 minutes or so... Funny, my chiropractor doesn't have a problem with running, as he is a runner too!

The truth is, I learned how to run properly, with good form, and all those 'joint problems' go away. As long as you build your running and allow your muscles and tendons to get stronger with you as you progress, there is really no more chance that you'll injure yourself by doing other activities like walking or lifting. Each activity has their place and are all part of a healthy exercise regimen. Running with good form actually uses the muscles like they were intended- as shock absorbers for your body as you move forward. Running with good form means very little impact on the actual knee, hip and spine bones.

I'll echo what everyone else says here: If you want to walk, then walk. If you want to run, then run- run! Learn to run or walk with good form and ramp it up slow because you can injure yourself with overexertion. (Yes you can injure yourself walking too!)

Good luck!
  • Geeves82
    Geeves82 Posts: 1
    Options
    Just reviewed what I've written below and its just my experience of running, I've never done any real distance walking or committed to it like I did with running. However my various bits of reading over the years agreed with that some of the earlier posts stating that your metabolism stays higher after a running that it does walking so you burn more overall (even though you burn the same just getting from A to B).

I used to hate running. That burning in your lungs, aching knees/hips, stitches, cramps, the ability to run about a mile before collapsing in a sweaty, gasping heap on the floor. At the time I was over 16st/102kg (ideal weight being about 13.5st/85kg) and knew I needed to do something about it. Working shift ruling out team sports and no easy access to a gym, running seemed like the best option.

Each of those hates were very easily remedied. Eating right before a run, taking a water bottle with a salty squash drink nailed the stitches and the cramps for the best part. Perseverance on getting out for the first 4 or 5 times a week pushed me through the burning lungs and distance limit so after only a couple of weeks I was plodding out 5km without stopping (albeit quite slowly).

The issue of my knees and hips aching continued and was remedied by going to decent running shop (Runners Need - www.runnersneed.com for me) and having them analyse my running style and matching a pair of trainers to the way my legs and ankles moved. That worked up until I started running longer distances anything over 15km and my knee started having problems. A visit to a podiatrist (Horley Chiropody - www.podiatrics.co.uk) showed that I had one leg slightly shorter than the other and a pair of insoles corrected this.

The last hurdle was chaffed nipples (and love handles if I was carrying a little extra timber!) which was easily solved by wearing a Nike compress vest under my kit.

My entire investment up to running a half marathon was not much more than £300 over 3 years. But thats mostly because I have a wonky body, the normal folk will quarter that by just buying trainers and kit!)

Running for many years was great part of my life and when you can get out and run for 40 minutes to hours on a nice day its amazingly therapeutic and almost meditative and gave me time to allow my brain to process some pretty rubbish stuff in my personal and professional life. I came out fitter, slimmer, feeling better and with a very positive and motivated outlook.

Since started about 6 years ago, I've since run a few marathons and biathlons, dozens of half marathons and countless 10Ks. I've since moved to Dubai which isn't exactly runner friendly (unlike Richmond Park or the Thames Path in west London!) but I am acclimatising and rediscovering my love for it.

In summary (if anyone is actually still reading this!), the rewards of running were so great for me that it was worth investing time and a little money to get you past the first phase as the benefits of running over walking have been proven. Its like skiing, it might hurt for the first week but when you start finding your legs and you get fitted with the right kit for you, it can be magnificent!

Ultimately, runner or walker, they are both way better than doing nothing.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Walking is better for you...running will wreak long term havoc on your back, hips, knees, ankles, and feet. Almost every runner I know in my age bracket is an orthopedic doctor's dream. Back problems, knee problems, etc. I see a chiropractor and he discourages people from running. Particularly if you are overweight. Walking is the best cardio activity and it is a natural movement. You may get a workout in quicker, but the long term ramifications aren't worth it. Of course, this is my opinion...and as we know, opinions are like elbows, and everyone has one :)

all that, plus running will make your uterus fall out...

Damn! I had my suspicions that had happened. If I do kegels, can I build it back up again?
  • meerkat70
    Options
    I like both walking and running. Walking for me is relaxing and burns more fat. I also run once or twice a week because it increases my overall fitness. So I would just do what feels right for you.

In what sense does it 'burn more fat'?
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options

You burn more fat relative to glycogen when going for a walk, but what's important is total fat burn. At higher intensities, you are burning far more fat, even though the fat/glycogen ratio is lower.

Walk 5 miles - tiny fat burn
    Jog 5 miles - large fat burn
  • meerkat70
    Options

You burn more fat relative to glycogen when going for a walk, but what's important is total fat burn. At higher intensities, you are burning far more fat, even though the fat/glycogen ratio is lower.

Walk 5 miles - tiny fat burn
    Jog 5 miles - large fat burn

Yeah, I know. That's more or less what I was flagging up.... There are so many myths in circulation about this on mfp.
  • sjschewlakow
    sjschewlakow Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I prefer walking as I enjoy it alot more. Running is okay but not something I enjoy. I would rather walk for an hour than run for 20 minutes.