Best time for working out??

Options
When in the day is it best to work out, and is it best to do it after a meal, or before??

Replies

• ellen_v
    ellen_v Posts: 33
    Options
    I don't think there's any "best time". Some people will say early in the morning before breakfast, some people will say late at night. It really depends when you can fit it in. I sometimes exercise at night but personally exercise really wakes me up so then I have trouble sleeping. I don't really like exercising before I've eaten anything because then I feel tired and don't feel like I have enough energy to give it 100% but sometimes that's the only time I can do it. I wouldn't do cardio or anything straight after a meal though or you might get indigestion. It's all down to personal preference and when you have time :)
  • Xx_mandown_scotty_xX
    Options
    ok cheers
  • flechero
    flechero Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I think the better question is what to eat after a hard workout. I always eat a little something when I wake up- or I'll get actual hunger pain and cramping in my stomach during a morning run.

some good info to consider and tailor to your intensity level. http://www.intense-workout.com/post_workout.html
  • vjohn82
    vjohn82 Posts: 10
    Options
    Consistency is more important than timing.
  • Missi3601
    Missi3601 Posts: 264
    Options
    I think it depends on the person- I find if I work out early ( like between 5 and 7 am) then I feel like I'm starving all day.... If I work out in the evening( like 5 or 6 pm) I feel great afterwards and sleep better at night.... If I workout late night (anytime after 9pm) I feel too tired to workout! :)
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Consistency is more important than timing.

^ That.
  • teresadutton
    teresadutton Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I was told that if you work out in the morning your body will keep burning for 14 hours...but that doesnt really make sense...how does your body know it is morning....I would think you could workout in the evening and it keep burning for 14 hours too...so IDK!!
  • jcperkns
    jcperkns Posts: 109
    Options
    I don't think the time of day is all that important. I just make sure to eat between 1-3 hours before I workout to use that food as fuel for energy. I find that if I don't eat before I workout I become much more fatigued.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    The best time is the time that you will get it done. Whatever works best for your schedule. As long as you do it, that's the important part.

As far as meal timing, i try to eat at least a half hour before, preferably an hour, so i have no heaviness in my stomach, and so the food i ate has time to be digested and used for energy. Also, the best pre-workout food is fruit.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    Yeah the best time is:

1 - whenever you can actually fit it in and
    2 - whenever you feel is your own personal preference

:-)
  • tobnrn
    tobnrn Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Is when you will do it.
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    Whenever it gets done. After many years of over eating and being lazy, I just care that i do something more than nothing!
  • Dudagarcia
    Dudagarcia Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    My preference is early morning at 5-5:30.
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    Whenever it gets done. After many years of over eating and being lazy, I just care that i do something more than nothing!

^^this!!!
  • sneekspeete
    sneekspeete Posts: 136
    Options
    I try n hit Curves at 5:30 n eat a banana first, then home on elliptical for 25 minutes, and another 25 in the evening strive yo do it after dinner but sometimes my child will not allow that 2 happen.when I go first thing in the A.M.,by 3 or 4 o clock I feel like I haven't done anything all day.that's the reason for the elliptical @ night
  • chelll224
    chelll224 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the person- I find if I work out early ( like between 5 and 7 am) then I feel like I'm starving all day.... If I work out in the evening( like 5 or 6 pm) I feel great afterwards and sleep better at night.... If I workout late night (anytime after 9pm) I feel too tired to workout! :)

This is exactly how I feel. 5pm seems to be my best time.
  • edena1987
    edena1987 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I have been working out in the mornings recently and I feel hungry ALL DAY LONG. I prefer it to evenings because I can't make excuses not to work out.
  • sabrinamunin
    Options
    Yeah the best time is:

1 - whenever you can actually fit it in and
    2 - whenever you feel is your own personal preference

:-)

Yes, this. For me, during the week I like to exercise first thing in the morning - I get it over with and go on with my day and don't have to worry about it. Weekends are harder for me, I tend to sleep just a little longer and wake up hungry (which I don't during the week), and then I want to eat something, but then need to wait an hour or two before working out or I feel gross... but it can't be too close to bedtime or I won't sleep.

Just try out different times and see what works best for you. It matters more that you do it than when you do.