Pain after running

Options
Please help

I have just started running after dropping about 20lbs and am no no longer "overweight"

I have had 3 runs now and I am managing 35mins at 5.2mph.

Last night I felt a tightness in my groin area. It is on the inside of my thigh right at the top of my leg. I feel it tight when I walk and don't want to run if it is going to rip it. It's only on my right side.

Do I just keep going and run through this? Do I stop for a week, but I have just started and want to keep going?

Do I need to work this muscle?

Replies

• jlbay
    jlbay Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Never run through this kind of pain! Pain that is sharp and/or changes your gait, pain that is on one side of the body or centered on one point (ie, not normal, even stress load of new activity), pain that includes swelling and tightness, pain that is new or different, pain in a joint - don't run through it! I'm sure there are more examples of pain and recognizing injury - check google.

Take 2 or 3 days off. Then re-evaluate. If you are still in pain - go see a physio or sports doctor.

You are on your 3rd run ever at 35 mins and 5.2 mph? Slow down! I'd start with three times per week, but much slower pace and shorter time. You have to add distance slowly as a beginner. Start by walking for 1 minute, then jogging 1 minute for 20 minutes. Or, walk 1 minute, jog 2. Or, try the Couch to 5k plan. You have to give your body time to adjust to the load of running, even if you are fit in other activities (ie walking, biking).

Good luck!
  • fitbabe49
    fitbabe49 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I started running 3 years ago. I never ran before and it took me a very long time to achieve anything. I first had a lot of pain as well, mine was what they call shin splits and my calves were killing me.
    The best remedy for those tight areas is stretching after warming up for a bit and then a long stretch after each run. Take it easy for 2 days, then try running again, but do the stretches. It is important that you only stretch warm muscles.

Also try running just a little bit slower at first might help to get the body more used to the strain.
    I found that post run a glass of milk or Montgomery cherry active help with the sore muscles.
    Hope this helps.
  • larkiedeek
    larkiedeek Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Good advice.

I will rest it a couple of days.

I have tried rubbing Arnica gell on it at the moment.

I think everything was good and I did my 35min run then thoguht I would do a 3 min sprint at the end at 6.2mph. Big mistake. Not going to do that again.

Next time slow and steady at a fixed pace for the full work out and I will stretch as part of the cool down.

Thanks