Heart rate level and fat burning?

Options
2»

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I don't know about burning sugar vs burning fat. As an retired RN i do know that the target heart rate is set to protect your heart. Therefore, I'd recommend you go to MayoClinic.com and see what they have to say about your rate based on your age, etc. Be kind to your heart and don't exceed the maximum rate. Good luck on your journey.

The only way to accurately establish MaxHr is to take a stress test. The old 220-your age is pretty much meaningless, at 56 I have resting HR of 52 and routinely exceed 220-my age. (with the blessing of my Dr).

In the absence of a stress test the next best thing is perceived effort. If you're able to carry on a conversation while running (barring any underlying heart disease or defect) you're in a good place.If you're gasping for air slow down (unless you're a sprinter and going anaerobic for 12 seconds to run 100 metres)

As always, it's a good idea to consult with a physician before starting or modifying any fitness program.
  • SilkyHotspur
    SilkyHotspur Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Thank you for answering!

Alright so...in short...I should NOT be concerned with my heart rate and burning fat? As in, I dont need to carefully monitor it??

Correct....

Notes:
    A Heart Stress Test is the best way to determine maximum heart rate, and V02max, but unless you're very overweight, or had a family history of heart problems, or are a professional athlete....its a bit excessive.

220-age is old information but still a good general guideline. As Brian said, he's 54 and well exceeds this calculation, I am 44, and 220-44 = 176, and I routinely reach 185-188 in interval workouts. I do use the 170 mark as my red-line. So if i'm on the treadmill or bike, and hangout at 170+ for too long, i'll bonk.

If you buy a cheap Ekho HRM (Heart Rate Monitor) for around $60, that will be a great training aid. It will let you know when you're above 135...so you'll know you're actually doing work, push yourself hard on a treadmill....something that's steady state, if you've worked hard in the past, you know when you're cooked...look at the heart rate and estimate a max. Then what I do is set the two set points to beep....one at 135 for the low, and one at 165 for the high (for an extended workout), and around 180 for interval workout. If you're not working hard enough...it will beep....if you work too hard...it will beep.

That's pretty much the basics, and is really all you need
  • ZyheeMoongazer
    ZyheeMoongazer Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    There is a fat burning zone but it's been completely misinterpreted by the makers of fitness equipment.

For weight loss & overall fitness exercising at higher intensities burns more calories which is what you want to do (it doesn't matter if the calories are from fat or glycogen).

The "fat burning zone" is of interest to endurance athletes as your body is only capable of storing a limited number of calories by way of glycogen (2,000 to 3,000 or so) in muscle tissue and your liver but even a skinny ultra-marathon runner has 35,000 or more calories of stored fat for fuel.

Very well put. I know from experience that if I try to stay in a higher range for too long I will get dizzy. Intervals between 70-80% with short stays into 80-90% give me the best workout.

For short 30 minute workouts I have no issue staying around 85% for the most burn in the short time I have. If I have time for more than 45 minutes, I will monitor my zones so I can make it as long as I can.
  • cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    I do almost all interval stuff on the machines, so when I'm on a tougher one, my heart rate might be 160-170 and then at the lower intensity it's 120-140

I've also noticed as I exercise more that my "high" heart rates are higher than they used to be, but my heart rate also drops faster than it used to

in short, I don't really worry about it. I just get my burn on and if I'm tired and sweaty when I'm done? i did good :)
  • mandypooh2103
    mandypooh2103 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • wolveslovemee
    wolveslovemee Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    BEAUTIFUL answers, thank you so much!
    I am on my way to go buy one today and keep track. Thanks guys! I will work my heart out.
  • tamraj
    tamraj Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    And bump.
  • bigrnyrs
    bigrnyrs Posts: 1
    Options
    This is very good information. I am very much a "common sense" kind of guy. In all the fitness and nutrition mud, I always ask if something passes the "does that make sense" test. I was reporting to a "trainer" in my home gym that I had stalled in my fat loss and added more cardio. I found my body responds really well and I start getting in better over all shape. I told him that i am maintaining a heart rate of 140- 150 for 45 minutes after weight training. I'm 38 years old, 203 pounds (down from 2130 and at 20% body fat (down from 25%). He told me that I was burning muscle instead of fat for having my heart rate so high. Now in my mind I was thinking that he just told me that I would get bad results from working harder and that I needed to work less. Now I am sorry but this simply does NOT pass the "make sense" test. That don't make sense. I also know that I can bust out that 45 minutes and even though and am breathing heavier than normal, I am not gassed and could actually go a lot longer at that pace. It feels like good work but not exertion. I have to believe this will help me change my body composition and also build my endurance for more intense resistance training.