Meal replacement shakes

Options
Hi all,

I was just wondering if anyone could recommend any specific meal replacement shakes that are tasty, not too bulky (I don't want to end up looking like Hulk Hogan!) and not too expensive...
Currently I'm on shakeology chocolate & I'm going to run out soon and as I'm in the UK, it's even more expensive & it's starting to get a weird taste so I'm going off it.
I've heard of maxitone, anyone know if that's any good? I'm a bad breakfast person so it's the only way really I can do breakfast, especially when I'm at work as I am always in a rush in the morning.

Thank you! Look forward to hearing some ideas :-)

Replies

• livinfitanfun
    Options
    The GNC shakes are pretty good and I also liked body by v shakes. Both are cheaper than shakeology! Lol which I am not putting down b/c I using the greenberry and the body by v shake currently. Hope I helped!
  • kcragg
    kcragg Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Buy some whey protein powder and make your own shakes. It will be a lot cheaper in the long run. Protein powder will not bulk you up!!

I have a chocolate flavoured one blended with almond milk (whatever milk you prefer) and a banana - delicious.

A lot of people on here recommend the Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey powder:

http://www.onacademy.co.uk/gold-standard-100-whey

Good luck:drinker:
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Tesco have Slimfast ready to drink at 2 for £2 http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=261592486 ends tomorrow

By "meal replacement" do you mean it in the "complete nutrition" sense used by regulations, or just "something to eat". Are powders ok or do you want ready to drink. http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=253267475 goes on offer tomorrow - £4 for 12 servings (plus skimmed milk).

http://www.myprotein.com/uk/ has economical (per kg) products by mail, you can combine their low carb "total protein" with some milled flax and cream for example. That would make a low carb shake but not a "meal replacement" in the sense of nutritionally complete.
  • kcaskin
    kcaskin Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Body by vi shakes! I love them, they taste great and give me lots of energy. They are cheaper than shakeology :)
  • xazazelx
    xazazelx Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Exante shakes(total meal replacement) taste good, have no added nasties and can be purchased in bulk for a reasonable price.

www.exantediet.com
  • MelissaGraham7
    MelissaGraham7 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I use the Body Fortress whey protein powder (chocolate) and make my own. They are delicious!!
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    The best shakes you can make are homemade, and they don't really take too long. You just have to peel some fruit and throw it into a blender with a little water. Any powder in a bag will not be as healthy as good old fashioned fruit. If you are worried about getting enough protein, you can add some raw kale to it.
  • polly_lops
    polly_lops Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for replying and sorry about the slow response. I am looking into it...I love making smoothies but I also need something that's going to give me a bit more energy (I think it's whey that does it, but I'm not 100% sure) I won't be buying shakeology again. at £100+ a bag it just makes it too expensive and it's got that nasty artificial taste on its own.

Thanks again :-)
  • LexyDB
    LexyDB Posts: 261
    Options
    Buy some whey protein powder and make your own shakes. It will be a lot cheaper in the long run. Protein powder will not bulk you up!!

I have a chocolate flavoured one blended with almond milk (whatever milk you prefer) and a banana - delicious.

Good luck:drinker:

But adding a banana to a whey protein shake won't make you skinny either. Why are you adding carbohydrates to protein if the goal is to avoid bulking?
  • larryathome
    Options
    I have to say that there are several meal replacement shakes that absolutely need to be avoided like the plague. Anything with artificial sweeteners, soy or sodium caseinates are a disaster. You can see on my profile that I am an activist against the health claims given to soy as are numerous doctors such as Dr. Mercola, Dr. Kaayla Daniel and many other. Personally, although I do not need to lose weight, I add protein from Siselean, made by SISEL International. It is low in cost, uses pure serum whey proteins and calcium caseinates that unfold in your stomach like an umbrella, 50 trace minerals and the proteins are not denatured or chemically treated. One of the biggest enemies of weight loss is toxicity that comes in harmful ingredients and Siselean has none of them. I use it as a workout supplement to build muscle as I will need it for rec basketball starting in December. For people losing weight, understand that your lean mass will accelerate your fat burning if you give it support. It will consume the fat cells like it is food, because your active cells demand nutrition.
  • ShaneOSX
    ShaneOSX Posts: 198
    Options
    My advice is avoid them completely. The entire concept is unhealthy. Best case scenario the worst thing you'll get is toxic artificial sweeteners, but it's likely the chemicals those things are filled with will be even worse than those.

Make your own protein shakes, or eat real, whole foods. Plus it's cheaper too.
  • larryathome
    Options
    I gather that you have never heard about the long term dangers of soy. I would hope that you would consider switching if something without soy is the same price. In particular, soy makes it more difficult for your lean cells to absorb trace minerals and that in itself is a disaster. With all the corruption in the soy industry, it is no wonder that Visalus markets this product, because the ingredients are dirt cheap and they charge way too much for a shake that is not that much better than SlimFast, another disaster for health. Get rid of the soy. Yes, you will lose weight if you reduce calories, but you will age much faster. The whole idea is to have success in a way that is sustained. As soon as you get off of that soy, in many cases, because a doctor said to stop drinking it, the weight will come back on and appetite will increase, but if you use something that builds lean tissue, it will burn the fat long after you get off the shakes. Bottom line, avoid soy like the plague.
  • zechks
    zechks Posts: 224
    Options
    Hi all,

I was just wondering if anyone could recommend any specific meal replacement shakes that are tasty, not too bulky (I don't want to end up looking like Hulk Hogan!) and not too expensive...
    Currently I'm on shakeology chocolate & I'm going to run out soon and as I'm in the UK, it's even more expensive & it's starting to get a weird taste so I'm going off it.
    I've heard of maxitone, anyone know if that's any good? I'm a bad breakfast person so it's the only way really I can do breakfast, especially when I'm at work as I am always in a rush in the morning.

Thank you! Look forward to hearing some ideas :-)

A very good meal replacement shake. 44g protein, 24g carbs, 1.5g fat + loads of vitamins and minerals. It tastes great too.. I like the chocolate flavor. You can't go wrong with this one. Try it. Kill me if it disappoints you. Here's the link. ;)

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/univ/uni.html
  • treehugger215
    treehugger215 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Vega One or the Vega sport performance protein... Amazing stuff. I work at a health food store and it is my favourite product we sell :)