Fruit and Vegetables. HELP!

Options
LemonJADE
LemonJADE Posts: 89 Member
I'm the worst person when it comes to eating fruit and veg. I know the simple method is just to eat them! But, I was just wondering if anyone has any recipes that include lots of fruit/veg or make them taste nicer. Would be much appreciated. :)

Replies

• valerierackly74
    valerierackly74 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    i put baby spinach in soft cheese and bacon sandwiches or add it into pasta sauce. you can use other veg too.
    cucumbers, tomatoes and carrots raw dip them in hummus. serve salmon or other meats on mixed salad instead of with chips or potatoes etc. yams sweet potato ans squashes you can bake in the oven and they are great too.

oh ye and with fruit you can add yogurt to it chopped up for breakfast or supper.
  • zumbatricia
    Options
    I personally like adding my fruit to yogurt. Or you can do a mixed berry blend with a little bit of Truvia. Use your fruit in a blender with some ice and juice to make a smoothie. I also use a vegan protein powder and use fruits like bananas strawberries, any kind of berries, peaches, pineapple etc. Keep me posted on what you did and if you liked it or not. It will help to know what you don't like about fruit and what you do like. Good luck!!:smile:
  • daisymullins
    Options
    hey!
    don't quite know what it's called, my mum made it up out of the vege's left in the fridge! sort of a paprika lentil dish.

all incredients diced:
    smoked paprika
    hot paprika
    salt
    pepper
    1 carrot
    1 onion
    1 pepper
    1 large stick of celery
    chopped tomatoes(we used a tin, not sure what size!) do not drain!
    lentils ( add however much!)

First cook the onion for about 10 minutes, then add the carrot , then after a couple minutes add the rest of the veg. the lentils should boil in with the mixture. add paprika to taste(nice and spicy!) and then salt and pepper etc.

It's an extremely simple dish, and all i say up there^ was probably wrong, but you can add whatever you like! just guidlines really.
    It's you can eat it on its own, as a side, or my personal favourite, on a jacket potato!
    x
  • HotAshMess
    HotAshMess Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Light cool whip, hot cocoa powder (never tried with sugar free...but I don't see how it would be bad). MIx and let sit 5 minutes....makes a night, light chocolatey dip for fruit.

8 oz neufchatel cheese, 2-2 1/2 cups powdered sugar, a tablespoon or two of grenadine...this isn't exact because I mix to taste and record recipe in MFP. It's great with fruit that isn't good in chocolate.

Cottage cheese...I've never been a huge fan, but I've begun to start experimenting with cottage cheese and fruit on the side.

Try using ranch dressing mix with greek yogurt, plain yogurt, or light sour cream instead of using the actual dressing straight out of the bottle.

Stir fry in a light sauce (you can buy sauce or google it online)

fry chicken in a pan, add onions and carmelize, and red, orange and green peppers and a jalapeno to taste.....add cajun seasoning, and some water. Cook. I like my veggies soft so I cook this for awhile. Meanwhile....cook rice (white or brown) in water and chicken bouillon (for some extra flavor). Eat chicken mixture on rice, or if you can afford the calorie.....eat with rice on tortilla (add sour cream if you like).

google bisquick chicken pot pie and cream of chicken soup. Make your own cream of chicken soup (less calories and less sodium) and use it to make chicken pot pie....only use less chicken and more veggies. Something about biscuit crust and chicken "gravy" makes veggies more palatable.

RIce and veggies! Bring 2 bouillon cubes and 1 cups water to a boil, add minced garlic to taste, add onions to taste (I used dried in this recipe), add 1 cup frozen veggie mix, return to boil. Add instant rice, sprinkle top with paprika and cook according to rice directions (either boil for 5 minutes-brown rice- or cover and let sit for 5 minutes). Eat with your choice of butter or butter product....or add some light ranch for a real kick in flavor.
  • HotAshMess
    HotAshMess Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    melt some butter in a pan, add a handle of spinach and cook down (it helps to squish out the water), add 2-3 tablespoons of cottage cheese, then add 3 eggs and scramble in the pan. makes fluffy yummy eggs.

spinach salad......spinach, yogurt (I use dannon light vanilla or strawberry....or sometimes the thick and creamy vanilla) and top with fruit. Any fruit will work, but my favorites include purple grapes, mango, strawberries or raspberries. Sprinkle with poppy seeds for a little garnish. This covers up some of the spinach flavor while still being yummy.
  • HelloSweetie4
    HelloSweetie4 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    wheat bread, cheese, spinach, tomato = best grilled cheese sandwich ever!
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Time to bask in the glory of all that is Asian or Indian cuisine!!!!! I absolutely love stir-fry, some of the cantonese stews, the mandarin stock pots, the korean bowls, the vietnamese bowls of pho or cabbage salad... Good stuff!!!!!!!!

Recipesource.com has some great recipes there!
  • aquapup
    aquapup Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I heat up frozen vegetables in the microwave and then put balsamic vinegar or lite italian dressing on them. Sometimes I also load them up with cilantro or oregano too and that helps me a lot and it's super easy and fast.

For fruit here is my all time fav fruit smoothie, it's from Cook Yourself Thin for ~205 calories:

1-1/4 cup orange juice
    1/2 cup rasberries
    1/2 a banana
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Stir fry your vegetables and grill your stone fruits (peaches, nectarines, etc.). Grilled peaches at a barbecue are the best!
  • Royaltvii
    Royaltvii Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Stir fry is a great yummy way to get in your veggies: I saute all the veggies and on the side make a sauce of water. soy sauce, ginger, red pepper, and garlic to taste...bring to a boil add corn starch and cook till thickened,,,then pour over vegetables.

...lasagnas with zucchini for noodles and you can add just about any vegetable to lasagna.

Casseroles are great ways to get in veggies. You can even make stuffing and add lots of vegetables to it.

As far as fruit goes...smoothies are great...just add fruit to a blender with ice and blend,and you can also add yogurt to it or protein powder.
    Eat them with dips or yogurt
    freeze them and eat them
    make a fruit salad.
    Add them to a sugar free jello mix...just don't add fresh pineapple to it or it won't gel.
  • fullofsmiles04
    fullofsmiles04 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    My mother in law has me hooked on a "no-tuna tuna salad" that she makes. It's basically just a bunch of cut up veggies and she uses the ring noodles and adds salad dressing...just enough to make it moist. She puts in cut up carrots, radishes, celery, pickles, and cucumber. I dont normally like carrots and radishes but mixed with everything else, it's delicious!
  • jenny2909
    jenny2909 Posts: 6
    Options
    I could eat a bag of carrot batons if i dipped them in hummus( never tried hummus until a year ago and now i'm addicted!) ...also banana dipped in low fat strawberry yoghurt, i hate brocolli but I love it in a Thai green curry, Kiwis if you can get really juicy ones are sooo good and take care of sugar cravings. soups in general packed with veg and well simmered and seasoned are delicious and more than take care of your five a day.
  • Doing_The_Unstruck
    Doing_The_Unstruck Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Veggie pot pie

Here is a recipe http://allrecipes.com/recipe/veggie-pot-pie/
  • Daring2be
    Daring2be Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    --meatless chipotle chicken and lime chicken fingers (LOVE It with some 2% cheddar cheese and romaine)

-- almond butter and granny smith apples

-- favorite salad ever is 1-2 tbs light italian zesty dressing, 1 stick mozzarella string cheese (2%), tomatos and spinach.

-- quinoa and apple (eat it like oatmeal, can be made the night before)
    Ingredients
    1 cup(s) uncooked quinoa
    2 spray(s) cooking spray
    1 Tbsp salted butter, divided
    2 medium fresh apple(s), chopped or diced
    2 cup(s) water, cold
    1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
    3 Tbsp packed brown sugar
    1/4 cup(s) fat-free skim milk
    Instructions
    Soak quinoa in a bowl of water for 5 minutes.

Meanwhile, coat a large skillet with cooking spray; set over medium heat. When skillet is hot, melt 1/2 tablespoon butter until it just starts to sizzle. Add apples and cook, turning occasionally, until apples are soft and begin to caramelize, about 5 to 10 minutes depending on personal taste; set aside

Rinse and drain quinoa. Add quinoa and 2 cups of cold water to a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat; boil for 1 minute. Reduce heat to low, cover pan tightly and allow quinoa to simmer for 10 minutes. When quinoa is cooked (a little tail will appear on each grain), remove from heat and fluff with a fork. Add remaining 1/2 tablespoon butter, cinnamon, sugar and milk; stir to combine and fold in apples. Yields about 2/3 cup per serving.
  • holliph
    holliph Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Watermelon-Cucumber Salad by Food Network only 65 calories a serving (very yummy!)
    Soak 1/2 thinly sliced red onion in cold water. Pat dry 4 cups diced watermelon and 1 seeded and sliced cucumber; toss with a handful of thinly sliced mint. Drain the onion, squeeze dry and add to the salad along with some chopped cashews. Add 1/4 cup olive oil and the juice of 1/2 lemon; season with salt and toss. Top with crumbled goat cheese.

I have a ton of fruit & veggie recipes that I have recently tried

Have you ever had Ratatouille?
    I was so scared while cooking it thinking I would gag the whole time, because my step-mother was the worst cook while I was growing up (she could ruin chocolate) and I was always dreading eating zuchinni after all her failed attempted at cooking it. Needless to say, I fell in love with ratatouille. I can hardly wait to make it again. My husband loved it and it was like 120 calories per serving! A dish that is all veggies for a night that you don't want to do meat.
  • BigenFluffy
    BigenFluffy Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I was given this cook book a few years ago http://www.amazon.com/Deceptively-Delicious-Simple-Secrets-Eating/dp/006176793X/ref=pd_sim_b_1.

It's called Deceptively Delicious and it's about how to sneak fruits and veggies into kids food. I never tried any recipes, but the concept is good...if you don't like veggies, hide them.

Stir frys are a good way to get your veggies in. They tend to take the taste of whatever sauce you use.
  • hopvegas
    hopvegas Posts: 1
    Options
    I HATE veggies! I chop everything super small when I eat them. So, my egg omelet has onions, green peppers & mushrooms, but they are super small so I don't taste them. Good luck! :-)
  • Skinny_Beans
    Skinny_Beans Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Make a spinach salad with blueberries, pineapple, apple, strawberries, and or mandarin oranges

Raspberries, blueberries, and strawberries with whipped cream is a great dessert

Cherries with banana icecream ( frozen bananas pureed with milk and cocoa/sweetener)

Broiled asparagus with any meat, stuffed in seasoned pork or chicken with olive oil is good

Artichoke, grilled tomatoes, and hummus(chickpeas) with feta and grapes on pita

Avocado as guacamole with chips and homemade salsa

really the only limitation is your imagination
  • mconway79
    mconway79 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Green or yellow beans (fresh) in a pan with a little water and 2 tsp margarine, a little water and lemon juice from one lemon and 1/4 tsp salt. Steam till just about done and remove lid so excess liquid will evaporate. Add 2 cloves finely minced garlic. So yummy!