Jogging , please reply!!!

Options
Hello :)
I'm thinking of doing more jogging but I've not got that endurance when it comes to running, so, few questions to motivate me to start jogging.
1. How many calories does one person of 168 lbs burn in 20 minutes??
2. Is it a good at burner??
3. Does it help wih weightless or does it make you gain muscle weight??
4. How can I not get bored??

SW: 168
Cw: 167
Gw for June: 157
Ugw: 125

Replies

• kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Do you have an iPod touch? If so, you can download a program called C25K, or Get Running. This is how I started running. It will work you up very slowly. It does burn calories - not sure how many though. I listen to music when I run. The beauty of running is that it takes very little equipment, and you can do it most anytime and anywhere.
  • DiscoveringSoul
    Options
    Yes I'm on it now :) Thank you do much! Will download them right away!! I think I'll create a jogging playlist then haha, thank you so much for the quick reply!!
    Happy losing <3
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    The C25k is a great starting point.

In terms of your other questions - I'd guess about 100 cals per mile, at your kind of weight give or take a bit. But while you're downloading C25k, also have a look at runkeeper and mapmyrun - they'll both give you reasonable calorie burn estimates. Ultimately, you might want to get a heart rate monitor, but for now, I think those will do the trick.
  • krislshoe
    krislshoe Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Typically a person burns about 100 calories for every 10-12 minutes they run...depending on how fast or slow you go...great calorie burner and it whittles that waist down in no time....good luck!
  • khawkin
    khawkin Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Do you have an iPod touch? If so, you can download a program called C25K, or Get Running. This is how I started running. It will work you up very slowly. It does burn calories - not sure how many though. I listen to music when I run. The beauty of running is that it takes very little equipment, and you can do it most anytime and anywhere.

I have always hated running but longed for that endurance. I started doing the Couch to 5k app three weeks ago. I have made good progress from where I started. I would definitely recommend it. I listen to my music and job different routes frequently so I don't get bored. I have been burning an average of 210 calories for 30 minutes of the app. You will most likely burn more though since your weight is higher than mine.

Good luck to you!
  • khawkin
    khawkin Posts: 39 Member
    Options

Oh, and you don't have to have an iPod. You can download the app on most smart phones as well :)
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking of doing more jogging but I've not got that endurance when it comes to running, so, few questions to motivate me to start jogging.

1. Approximately 200 calories for a 20 minute jog
    2. It is an excellent burner, if you do interval training that is also a superb calorie burn
    3. It is great to assist in weightloss
    4. If you are running outside, have many different routes that you can run, if you continually run exactly the same route you will get bored very quickly. I always have my i-pod playing when I go running, just be careful re traffic though, because hearing is impaired.
  • deez2015
    deez2015 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I've been doing the Couch to 5k for about 5 weeks. Curently I am on week 4 (again). Just wanted to say don't be discouraged if you have to repeat a week. It's ok it happens. It's a great program :D
  • llmichalek
    llmichalek Posts: 48
    Options
    The other great thing about running is that aerobic exercise will speed up your metabolism in general, allowing you to burn more fat hours after you run. I run everyday now, but a few years ago I wanted to lose 10 pounds, so I started doing a quick 10 minute run every night as fast as I could go. That, along with diet, made me lose 10 pounds in less than a month and I was not overweight to begin with. I don't enjoy it either in all honesty, but after my second child, I started again when she was just two weeks old and I lost 50 pounds in six months.
  • DiscoveringSoul
    Options
    Thank you so much for all of your replies! In definately going to use the couch to 5k app!! And the tip about 10 minutes fast running most nights I'll do tht too :) juggle it all about a bit and make a routine!! Thank you so much :')
  • IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    The general rule is about 100 calories per mile....the more you weight, the more mass you are moving over that distance, the more you burn.

It's cardio and while I've built up muscle, it's not enough to negate the weight I've lost as well.

I am super into music so I just make really good playlists to run to. I only get bored if I have no music. Podcasts are also good........the Stitcher Radio app has just about every podcast ever, so I usually use that.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I love c25k! Although I am currently sidelined due to a toe injury, my next run will be week 4 day 1. I could already tell that my waist had toned up some in just the 3 short weeks I was running! I cannot wait to be able to get back to it. I absolutley love it. I mainly use my treadmill while watching movies, and the app that turns red or green when you walk/run. I'll usually continue walking while my movie is on and total about 90 minutes, depending on the movie and how good it is. lol That way I don't have to listen to prompts but can see it out of the corner of my eye. Once in a while Ill use it outside with music. That makes it go really fast.

Set a goal to run a 3k or 5k this fall. It's a great incentive to finish the plan, besides wanting to be healthy, of course!

Good luck! I think you'll love it.
  • hubkal
    hubkal Posts: 125 Member
    Options

1. Approximately 200 calories for a 20 minute jog
    2. It is an excellent burner, if you do interval training that is also a superb calorie burn
    3. It is great to assist in weightloss
    4. If you are running outside, have many different routes that you can run, if you continually run exactly the same route you will get bored very quickly. I always have my i-pod playing when I go running, just be careful re traffic though, because hearing is impaired.

That is a wonderful reply! BUT also remember when starting that a 7 min mile and a 14 min mile are STILL A MILE! dont worry so much about your speed. that killed me at first, trying to run and be good at it! But hey, once I started just barely moving faster, I got a lot further and ran a lot longer. As time when by I was able to run faster and faster!

Remember that some days you are going to do really bad and others you are going to do really great!

Soon you will not be concentrating on whether or not you are going to die on the road and on how you are breathing and your mind will start drifting to your day or your plans for next week etc and you will suddenly be at the end of your path!!! You will smile and know you have become a runner!

You will look for other paths and maybe even go trail running! running is an evolution of mind and body you will see stronger leaner legs and you will start seeing other runners...everywhere! you will notice some just starting and remember those days and you will see those in top shape that you will want to strive for.

Running is a beautiful thing, not just for top big milers but also for those of us who put in a few miles and enjoy the benifit. I got a subscription to "running" magazine and wow!! great articles and not just for big time athletes but EVERY magazine has great tips for beginners and stories to inspire you from people just like you!

Good luck and happy running!!