Delicious Ceviche!

Options
So, it's like 95 degrees here today. I live in Southern California, so my "delicate constitution" is not really prepared for these new global-warming scorchers :wink: !! Anyway, I made a fantastic dinner tonight that's just perfect for a hot day!

Ceviche

1/4 lb. scallops, diced small
1/4 lb. shrimp, diced small
1 TBSP red onion, finely diced
1/2 TBSP jalapeno pepper, minced
1 TBSP red bell pepper, diced small
3/4 TBSP fresh garlic, minced
1 TBSP cilantro, chopped
1/4 cup lime juice, fresh squeezed (about 5-6 limes)

Combine all ingredients in a non-metal bowl and mix well. Refrigerate and stir every 15-20 minutes until shrimp and scallops firm up slightly and the shrimp just begins to show a hint of pink color (about 4-6 hours total).

*** NO, you do not have to cook the seafood first. The lime juice "cooks" it. Don't ask me how...it just does. However, if that creeps you out...you can boil the shrimp and scallops. If you do that, you don't need to let it sit as long in the lime juice.

Also...I served it on top of a baked corn tortilla. You can also serve it with chips. I recommend making your own in the oven, if you have the time. Just cut tortillas into triangles spray on some olive oil or Pam, and bake until crispy. (Tortilla not included in info below. One tortilla adds 55 calories.)

Cal - 173
total fat - 2 g
sat fat - .4 g
cholestorol - 50 mg
sodium - 325 mg
potassium - 740 mg
total carb - 9
fiber - 1
sugars - 3
protein - 29

BTW, these numbers aren't exact for this recipe. I got them off of "Fat Secret"...I figure they're probably pretty close.

Replies

• maestrachistosa
    maestrachistosa Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    So, it's like 95 degrees here today. I live in Southern California, so my "delicate constitution" is not really prepared for these new global-warming scorchers :wink: !! Anyway, I made a fantastic dinner tonight that's just perfect for a hot day!

Ceviche

1/4 lb. scallops, diced small
    1/4 lb. shrimp, diced small
    1 TBSP red onion, finely diced
    1/2 TBSP jalapeno pepper, minced
    1 TBSP red bell pepper, diced small
    3/4 TBSP fresh garlic, minced
    1 TBSP cilantro, chopped
    1/4 cup lime juice, fresh squeezed (about 5-6 limes)

Combine all ingredients in a non-metal bowl and mix well. Refrigerate and stir every 15-20 minutes until shrimp and scallops firm up slightly and the shrimp just begins to show a hint of pink color (about 4-6 hours total).

*** NO, you do not have to cook the seafood first. The lime juice "cooks" it. Don't ask me how...it just does. However, if that creeps you out...you can boil the shrimp and scallops. If you do that, you don't need to let it sit as long in the lime juice.

Also...I served it on top of a baked corn tortilla. You can also serve it with chips. I recommend making your own in the oven, if you have the time. Just cut tortillas into triangles spray on some olive oil or Pam, and bake until crispy. (Tortilla not included in info below. One tortilla adds 55 calories.)

Cal - 173
    total fat - 2 g
    sat fat - .4 g
    cholestorol - 50 mg
    sodium - 325 mg
    potassium - 740 mg
    total carb - 9
    fiber - 1
    sugars - 3
    protein - 29

BTW, these numbers aren't exact for this recipe. I got them off of "Fat Secret"...I figure they're probably pretty close.
  • maestrachistosa
    maestrachistosa Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Oops...forgot to mention the serving size...one cup.

Enjoy!
  • sitarami
    sitarami Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    this sounds deliciouso!
  • vldowd
    vldowd Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    SOUNDSGREAT! I THINK I WILL TRY THIS TOMORROW! :flowerforyou: