Up 4lbs overnight???????????

Options
Lisa1971
Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
Seriously????? I had a major sugar binge yesterday on skittles and M&M's but I've been very good at avoiding sugar and processed foods all last week so why the 4lb gain from ONE sugar binge????? I'm VERY discouraged right now! There's no way in hell I took in 14,000 extra calories in ONE day!!!!

What gives and what can I do about it????? Thanks!

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Mostly water weight, relax :)
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    drink your water and weigh again in 2 days
  • HelloSweetie4
    HelloSweetie4 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Porbably retaining water because of the sugar, or TOM?
  • Supergirl78
    Supergirl78 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I know how that feels....just don't eat anything high in carbs today and work exta hard on your workout and you will probably even out tomorrow.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Somebody clearly forcefed you 14,000 calories while you slept. Check under the bed.
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Heck yeah. Don't put so much credence in the scale. You can lose a pound in a half by just peeing. Sorry to be crass, but it's true. Weigh yourself before and after you pee.

Yesterday I weighed myself first thing in the morning, and then a few hours later before eating, and there was a 4 lb difference.
  • mom2gar
    mom2gar Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Don't weigh daily if it will freak you out. :) Keep calm and loose on.
  • A_New_Horizon
    A_New_Horizon Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    It happens ALOT especially for women. I can be up and down any given day usually about 3 lbs even if I am under in calories. Get plenty of water the next few days, and it should even out. Remember if TOM is around, women usually gain weight - I can go up as much as 6 lbs.
  • summer827
    summer827 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    You know it's not fat...so, ease up on yourself :). My weight easily swings up a few lbs from time to time. No worries.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    maybe water weight, sodium...not fat - not possible!
  • heidikat72
    heidikat72 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Your weight will vary from day to day during the week anyway - so for comparison/tracking purposes try to compare the same day every week - ex. weigh in every friday morning. Your gain sounds like water weight. Do you track your sodium? Try drinking lots of water today to flush it out of your system.
  • Jen32285
    Jen32285 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I'm sure I went up over night. I went out for lunch yesterday and ate a lot. That always happens to me. It goes right back to normal after I eat the same way and drink my water.
  • Stefanie7125
    Stefanie7125 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    this is why I weigh only once a month. More than that and it is very discouraging. You did not "gain" 4 lbs overnight, your body fluctuates.
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    this is why I don't weigh everyday. Your weight fluctuates too much on a day to day basis for different reasons. I weigh at the same time every Monday. After I wake up, before breakfast, after going pee and naked.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Don't weigh daily if it will freak you out. :) Keep calm and loose on.

This.. OR weigh yourself daily so you'll recognize the fluctuation patterns. I've gone up as much as 8 pounds overnight.
  • SilMarillion
    Options
    Seriously????? I had a major sugar binge yesterday on skittles and M&M's but I've been very good at avoiding sugar and processed foods all last week so why the 4lb gain from ONE sugar binge????? I'm VERY discouraged right now! There's no way in hell I took in 14,000 extra calories in ONE day!!!!

What gives and what can I do about it????? Thanks!

The same thing happened to yesterday! But I have just weighed myself this morning, and 2lbs have already done... ;-)
  • cherrybomb_77
    cherrybomb_77 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Somebody clearly forcefed you 14,000 calories while you slept. Check under the bed.

:laugh:

Seriously though, you did NOT gain 4lbs of fat overnight. Be good and drink plenty of water and it will be gone in a day or two.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Relax.

Your scale weight is not actually how much you weigh. It is how much you weight + how much water you're retaining + how much food is working it's way through your system. Things that cause water retention include eating too much salt, menstrual changes, exercise, etc. Things that change how much food is working through your system include going to the bathroom and eating.

All of these factors can easily change your weight by several pounds, and some can add up to 10 lbs.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I expected to be up today with the buffet food yesterday but was not. I agree it's probably just water from the sugar yesterday, but now you know what not to do again. I don't know how long you've been at the dieting but really I don't even crave all that stuff anymore. I can now eat one piece of something and be happy with that. You'll get there, just try to work thru having a binge and talk yourself out of it. You have to keep your head in this game it's not easy but you'll be happier for it. I know I am. I'm please that I can go to a buffet and not over eat. Don't beat yourself up and start new today, it is a new day after all.
  • sniperzzzz
    sniperzzzz Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Mostly water weight, relax :)
    This ^^