Best bum toning exercises????

Options
Hi there, I really want to tone up my body.. In particular my bottom and thighs!! Any ideas for toning up my these areas? Thanks

Replies

• meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    squats and lunges are the ideal.

I find running has given me a bum of steel though. Even while all my other bits are still wibbly. :-)
  • HealthfulLife
    HealthfulLife Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, Squats and lunges are probably two of the best lower body exercises , they engage most all of your lower body while also strengthening your core and working on stability and balance!

...also try jump squats, wide legged squats, step ups, box jumps, dead lifts or 1 legged squats!
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    yes running has shaped me in ways that nothing else has. Highly recommended.
  • zombilishious
    zombilishious Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    Pick up something heavy and squat with it. Perks those cheeks right up!
  • Symphony2
    Symphony2 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Squats and lunges are the best exercises to get those glutes (bum muscles) firing and working properly. And if you've got stairs in your house or office - then spend 20 minutes or half an hour going up and down them (no - simply climbing them as part of your day or instead of using the lift/elevator is no use whatsoever! lol) Up and down, up and down ... The good news is that glutes tone very quickly and if you're consistent you'll notice a difference in no time at all - as soon as the weight comes off, those muscles will show through FIRST! :)
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    squats and deadlifts
  • YogaRunner
    YogaRunner Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    Brazil Butt Lift. Amazing workout that works exactly the areas you are looking for. It includes lunges and squats like everyone suggests, but incorporates moves that focus on different angles for the muscles which provides better overall results. It's fantastic!
  • wrevhn
    wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    squats, lunges, plie, uphill sprints, stair climbing, bridge, glute kickbacks. etc

there are programs like Brazilian butt and butt bible.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Heavy lifting. Running shrunk my butt, but heavy lifting made it perky as a teenager's!

Compound movements with a barbell like squats or deadlifts are best, but if you belong to a crappy gym like I do, machines can do wonders, too.

butt-update-may.jpg
  • blonde71
    blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I've been performing squats, lunges, deadlifts and step-ups with consistency for almost a year now and noticed a change in my butt. I also added 2 inches to my hips - they went from 32 inches to 34 inches making my butt not so flat, lol.

I really noticed a difference though when I began adding glute bridges (both BW and with weight) a couple of weeks ago. My shorts are noticeably tighter than before and the area in general seems firmer even in just like six or seven workouts.

I also heard hip thrusts both with BW and added weight are good but haven't tried them yet.
  • ksleebrown
    Options
    I wanna tone my butt and thighs. Great exercise tips. Great job @Lorina!
  • myannapal
    myannapal Posts: 2
    Options
    squats and lunges, stairs, pilates
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Walk up and down hills, stairs and do squats! Squats have made my butt so sore it was hard to sit on the toilet seat. lol

Also if you like to play raquetball, that's an awesome butt toner and it's fun.
  • Lilkj8
    Lilkj8 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I will be sure to add some squats and lunges into my routine ( although I sometimes suffer with my knees after doing them). I do step ups but how high shud the step be, I do them on my stairs but it don't seem big enough?
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    If squats are hurting your knees, you might be doing them wrong. Make sure you have your weight back on your heels, not on your toes. With your weight back further, you're targeting your hamstrings and glutes, not your quads and knees.
  • savlov30
    savlov30 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Brazil Butt Lift. I have been doing that for 7 weeks. Going on my last week. It has really helped my entire body. My friends and myself are noticing a difference in me. If you like more information about it, message me. I like it.
  • eig6
    eig6 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Try this workout routine; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djPs1yzEZCk&list=PL8395384AFAC979A9&index=1&feature=plpp_video

I did it two days ago, my but is still hurting haha! It looks deceptively easy.
  • blonde71
    blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I do step ups but how high shud the step be, I do them on my stairs but it don't seem big enough?

I started off stepping up the height of two stairs and then moved up from there. The higher the better but you don't want to compromise form. If you use dumbbells and have trouble performing them, drop the weight not the height of the step. The point is to step as high as you can with good form, if you lower the step - the exercise won't be as effective. Better to do the step-ups with less weight at a higher height then with a higher weight at a lower height. Hope that helps.
  • sisierra
    sisierra Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    jillian michaels Killer Buns and Thighs
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    squats lol