why you should eat sweet things in the morning

Options
ryvenna
ryvenna Posts: 83 Member
my sister told me about an article she saw in nejm (i think?) from a while back about a study that shows that people who eat something sweet in the morning effectively reduce the possibility of over-indulging in sweet things later on in the day and/or possibly losing control d/t a sweet tooth.

i've been eating oatmeal with bananas and choc chips for the past few days and i've noticed that it's really true! i'm less likely to crave (and give in) to making high calorie almond butter sandwiches, etc. ;]

here's what my breakfasts look like:
<-- i love baking my oatmeal in a ramekin!! i like putting down a layer of fruit at the bottom so that the oatmeal won't stick... i've tried putting pomegranate, banana, and kiwi, with delicious outcomes. i like keeping a layer of bananas and chocolate chips on top.

anyone else experience anything similar? hope this helps someone! ;3

Replies

• alisha232
    alisha232 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    This interesting. I have never tried it, but I might have to since late at night I really crave sweet foods!
  • jenni177
    jenni177 Posts: 13
    Options
    That is interesting, I remember being told once by a weight loss consultant that I can have a chocolate bar (certain size a couple of times a week) but if I am going to eat it it has to be in the morning so my body has the rest of the day to burn it off.
  • dreamsofsomeday
    dreamsofsomeday Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! I thought it was the opposite.

I've heard that consuming lots of protein for breakfast will help you eat less during the day.
  • jillian769
    jillian769 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I believe it!!!
  • misscristie
    misscristie Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Bad idea if you're diabetic or otherwise insulin resistant, but could be an interesting experiment otherwise. :)
  • Jotell
    Jotell Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I'm going to have to try this! I'm willing to try anything at this point! Thanks for the great tip!
  • JRO2685
    JRO2685 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    When you eat is irrelevant. It is all about calories in vs calories out.

However it is a good idea to eat when you wake up since you haven't had anything during the time you were sleeping and feeding your body will give you energy throughout the day or at least the morning. Also when you eat breakfast it should make you less hungry at lunch time which should curve your apatite so you don't over eat at your next meal.
  • ryvenna
    ryvenna Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    megatron: sure, keep the calories within limits. i'm not saying that you should wake up in the morning and consume GINORMOUS cheesecakes. anyway, oatmeal's great since it's high in fiber, the milk you put in adds protein, and it reduces your risk of colon cancer. :]
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Maybe its all in your head.
  • GreatVibe
    GreatVibe Posts: 87
    Options
    Your breakfast sounds TOO yummy
  • steadk
    steadk Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    So that your body has more time to burn the sugar in the food. I would strive for less sugary items as the day moves along
  • mom2gar
    mom2gar Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I'm a protein girl and if i eat sweets in the morning, I want them all day. NEJM hopefully will publish another article for people like me. But, trying out new stuff and finding what works best for you is what this is all about. Good luck and enjoy the sweets for me!
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    Really? *goes to eat ONE oreo* :P

I guess that makes sense. I know you're supposed to consume more carbs earlier in the day and a little during lunch and very few to none at all later in the day. *shrug*
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    I'm a protein girl and if i eat sweets in the morning, I want them all day. NEJM hopefully will publish another article for people like me. But, trying out new stuff and finding what works best for you is what this is all about. Good luck and enjoy the sweets for me!

I'm the same way. If I have something too sweet at breakfast, I just want more sugar in a few hours. However, if you don't have this problem, more power to you! I have also heard that eating sugar around the time you exercise (cardio or weights) will cause your body to use that sugar as fuel rather than storing it as fat.
  • ablissabby
    ablissabby Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    That's incredible - I was just thinking the exact same thing this morning when I was drinking my shakeology -- I don't need anything sweet for the rest of the day, which is super weird for me :)
  • brneydgrlie
    brneydgrlie Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I have heard the exact opposite. Eating something sweet in the morning spikes your blood sugar. The resulting drop after the spike sets you up for cravings the rest of the day.

Maybe that bodily response might be reduced or eliminated when coupled with protein? I do know that if I only eat fruit for breakfast, I feel like I am starving waaaayyyy before lunchtime!
  • Jgasmic
    Jgasmic Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    If I eat something sweet in the morming I want sweet stuff all day long and I'm hungry all day long. Although the hungry part may be because if I eat something sweet in the morning it would be donuts or muffins, so the carbs may be what's doing it. I'm sure like most things it depends on the individual.
  • Lindac672411
    Lindac672411 Posts: 108
    Options
    I am inclined to agree with Misscristie. Why not just have a protein drink and keep it moving. That way, your sugar levels don't rise/drop to fast. There, you killed 2 birds with one stone. We have to remember, that SUGAR especially when you are out of your 20's affect you differently and every decade it get's worse If a person is big on exercisse and cardio -- go for it. :flowerforyou:
  • sexycheesemonkey
    sexycheesemonkey Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    There are some days where I wake up wanting sweets. I have sugar free Reese's at my desk, and I'll have 5 of them (it's the serving size) and I actually find it sedates my sweet tooth until probably after dinner where I'll either have another serving of the Reese's a few hours before bed. So it works well for me. And it doesn't STOP the cravings...it just makes me realize I don't want the other sugary items as much as I would if I didn't have my little morning treat.
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I have heard the exact opposite. Eating something sweet in the morning spikes your blood sugar. The resulting drop after the spike sets you up for cravings the rest of the day.

Yep, really bad idea for a diabetic. 30-50 carbs at lunch or dinner is no problem, but I can't handle more than 10 carbs in the morning without setting off a roller coaster. Rules out fruit and oatmeal, let alone a doughnut.