Don't think I look like the lbs I weigh

Options
I mean, when I look in the mirror, I don't think I look like I am 173lbs/12stone 5 lbs (god sounds like alot when I convert into stone!Eeekkkkkk).

I carry most of my weight in my stomach area. Stuck literally for months at this weight and it's really getting to me. BUT when I look at myself in the mirror (my skewed view of myself is best first thing before my tummy gets bigger as the day progresses!!) alot of the time, I think 'wow 173lbs....really'. I look ok.

it might sounds odd to people as 173 isn't the lightest ever (I'm 5ft8) but I think I'm ok. Just with my stubborn baby belly would do a disappearing act overnight. Hard work will just have to do..oh well.

Replies

• withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Mirrors play tricks on your mind. Especially the mirrors in your house. But if you look at photos of yourself, or even mirrors in unfamiliar places, suddenly the trick is gone and you see what you really look like.

Or at least, that's what happens to a bunch of people, including myself. Maybe you do look just fine :) Being in shape is more than just a number on the scale, after all, and you are pretty tall!
  • wedjul05
    wedjul05 Posts: 472
    Options
    Mirrors play tricks on your mind. Especially the mirrors in your house. But if you look at photos of yourself, or even mirrors in unfamiliar places, suddenly the trick is gone and you see what you really look like.

Or at least, that's what happens to a bunch of people, including myself. Maybe you do look just fine :) Being in shape is more than just a number on the scale, after all, and you are pretty tall!

Yep foto's of me are horrendous and beside other people, I look bigger alright. Damn mirrors. Do I look fine? No...I've a belly that I suck in constantly. My one major problem area. Boo hoo.........
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options

That's true! I've always thought it's because my mirror at home is slim, whereas changing room mirrors are wider. I didn't realise it was the same for other people too.
  • Kerri_is_so_very
    Kerri_is_so_very Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options

Isn't it crazy how that works???? You feel like saying "WTF didn't you tell me I looked so friggen bad?" to the people you see all the time!!! LOL
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    My doctor has said that to me many times. I "hide my weight well". I don't think that is a compliment when he says it. I think some people just do hold the weight better. Maybe the fat is more compact? I dunno I guess. I don't think one person that knows me would ever be able to guess at what my starting weight was. Again, not a compliment to me. I'm still that heavy I just don't look "that" heavy.
  • cammons
    cammons Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    My doctor has said that to me many times. I "hide my weight well". I don't think that is a compliment when he says it. I think some people just do hold the weight better. Maybe the fat is more compact? I dunno I guess. I don't think one person that knows me would ever be able to guess at what my starting weight was. Again, not a compliment to me. I'm still that heavy I just don't look "that" heavy.

In our family we call that being densely packed. At my lowest weight I was a size four at 140-145 pounds and was shocked to learn that some of my friends were obsessing about being 120 and a size six. I know that I have a very muscular build, but that still seriously boggles my mind.

It's more about how comfortable you are in you're own skin. At 140 I was no more comfortable in my skin than I am now at 179...the weight loss part is something that I can measure and numbers don't lie like our minds can. This time around I 'm working hard on changing my mind as well as changing the numbers. Let me tell you, the numbers are way easier to change.
  • weaverfit
    weaverfit Posts: 124
    Options
    Seeing yourself on television, which many have said always adds 10 lbs., is the kicker. You'll see how others see you on film. It's sure a wakeup call. Go to your local electronics store that has a camera set up and viewable on a tv in the showroom. Walk by it a few times... that should fix the perception issue for you. Personally, I can't handle that much truth. : )
  • jendan44
    jendan44 Posts: 20
    Options
    Mirrors drive me crazy! Every time I look in one, I see a body shape that I am not happy with. Ever! I know that it is in my head, and I am working to get that negative self image out of my brain. Even when people tell me that I am looking good, I listen to them, thank them, and try to figure out why I do not see it.

I like the camera idea.