why you should eat sweet things in the morning

Options

Replies

• cheesy_blasters
    cheesy_blasters Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I think that could work for some people. I don't tend to eat a lot of sweets (I eat lots of fruits/berries/ for snacks instead of chips or crackers which tend to make me sick) so I find this is true for me. However, if it was my weakness food (salty stuff, chips, cheese) if I had even a small bit, I'd want to eat it all day!
  • cheesy_blasters
    cheesy_blasters Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I have heard the exact opposite. Eating something sweet in the morning spikes your blood sugar. The resulting drop after the spike sets you up for cravings the rest of the day.

Yep, really bad idea for a diabetic. 30-50 carbs at lunch or dinner is no problem, but I can't handle more than 10 carbs in the morning without setting off a roller coaster. Rules out fruit and oatmeal, let alone a doughnut.

Does this depend on what you eat with it? Because I always have a couple servings of fruit and veggies in the morning but I tend to eat a really full breakfast with lots of protein and healthy fats too. I find that I never crave sweet things during the day and that I always have lots of energy/never end up starving or snacking. The only time I get the 'drop' is if I eat something really starchy/carby (breakfast sandwich) or something really unbalanced (bowl of fruit, nothing else). Then I want to binge like crazy later.
  • quixoteQ
    quixoteQ Posts: 484
    Options
    Yeah, I don't buy this idea. If you're not watching your carbs then I suppose it doesn't matter. But if you're like me, eating one carb makes me want another; eating 400 carbs makes me want 400 more--and this is even more true when those carbs are simple carbs.

If I am eating oatmeal, I do it without sugar or fruit, and I try to eat it with a decent protein source to mitigate the chasing-carbs effect.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    I have heard the exact opposite. Eating something sweet in the morning spikes your blood sugar. The resulting drop after the spike sets you up for cravings the rest of the day.

Yep, really bad idea for a diabetic. 30-50 carbs at lunch or dinner is no problem, but I can't handle more than 10 carbs in the morning without setting off a roller coaster. Rules out fruit and oatmeal, let alone a doughnut.

Does this depend on what you eat with it? Because I always have a couple servings of fruit and veggies in the morning but I tend to eat a really full breakfast with lots of protein and healthy fats too. I find that I never crave sweet things during the day and that I always have lots of energy/never end up starving or snacking. The only time I get the 'drop' is if I eat something really starchy/carby (breakfast sandwich) or something really unbalanced (bowl of fruit, nothing else). Then I want to binge like crazy later.

The GI of a meal lowered by adding slower digesting foods like proteins or fats.

As for spiking your insulin response first thing in the morning, I'd do this if I was having desperate trouble eating enough calories to gain weight.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    If you get a link to the study I'd love to read it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer/Group Fitness Instructor
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I could see how that would work psychologically. If you consider that your treat for the day you'd feel satisfied and able to resist other temptations. Perhaps that's what the study showed.
  • HelloSweetie4
    HelloSweetie4 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    That's a pretty interesting concept. I have noticed that me sweet cravings have gone down a lot since I started taking my vitamins every morning. They're the gummy kind (regular vitamins make me sick to my stomach) so they are sweet. I will definately pay closer attention to this to see if it's true for me.
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Googled:
    http://www.haaretz.com/news/national/a-sweet-dessert-for-breakfast-may-facilitate-weight-loss-israeli-researchers-find-1.413545

http://health.yahoo.net/experts/dayinhealth/delicious-new-weight-loss-trick
  • cpsoroff
    cpsoroff Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I am better off not to even start with sugar. As soon as I start eating sugar, its almost like my body craves more.
  • ediblepotential
    Options
    Yep, frontloading calories in the beginning of the day, instead of later works! I don't feel deprived & I feel satisfied too :)
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    Eating refined sugary things seems to be a downward slope for me. If I were to have a piece of say, cake in the morning? By the end of the day the cake would be gone. Refined sweets seems to trigger a certain mindset for me. So I just need to stay completely away from them. Definately better off without them too so it's a win win.
  • Sapporo
    Sapporo Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    megatron: sure, keep the calories within limits. i'm not saying that you should wake up in the morning and consume GINORMOUS cheesecakes. anyway, oatmeal's great since it's high in fiber, the milk you put in adds protein, and it reduces your risk of colon cancer. :]

Cheesecake for breakfast sounds awesome, but then it would be chicken and salads the rest of the day. :)
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Meal timing and composition influence ghrelin levels, appetite scores and weight loss maintenance in overweight and obese adults

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0039128X11003515

1-s2.0-S0039128X11003515-gr2.sml

Don't have a link to the full study but wonder if they held protein constant in the breakfasts
    In this study 193 obese (BMI 32.2±1.0kg/m(2)), sedentary non diabetic adult men and women (47±7years) were randomized to a low carbohydrate breakfast (LCb) or an isocaloric diet with high carbohydrate and protein breakfast (HCPb). Anthropometric measures were assessed every 4weeks
  • littlepinkhearts
    Options
    Meal timing and composition influence ghrelin levels, appetite scores and weight loss maintenance in overweight and obese adults

Can you explain what this chart is trying to indicate...sorry lol
  • aekaya
    aekaya Posts: 163 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Googled:
    http://www.haaretz.com/news/national/a-sweet-dessert-for-breakfast-may-facilitate-weight-loss-israeli-researchers-find-1.413545

http://health.yahoo.net/experts/dayinhealth/delicious-new-weight-loss-trick

Yep, this is what I was taking about.

It's definitely been working for me too! I get to indulge and make almond joy oatmeal, aka add chocolate chips + coconut flakes onto my oatmeal (for a healthy & <300 cal breakfast, too!). I find that before, I'd go to the kitchen at around 8 PM looking for something sweet to eat. Now I don't do that since my sweet cravings are satisfied at the very start of the day.

Maybe it is more of a mental thing, but hey, if it works it works. Don't think about it too much ;)
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options

In this study 193 obese (BMI 32.2 ± 1.0 kg/m2), sedentary non diabetic adult men and women (47 ± 7 years) were randomized to a low carbohydrate breakfast (LCb) or an isocaloric diet with high carbohydrate and protein breakfast (HCPb). Anthropometric measures were assessed every 4 weeks. Fasting glucose, insulin, ghrelin, lipids, craving scores and breakfast meal challenge assessing hunger, satiety, insulin and ghrelin responses, were performed at baseline, after a Diet Intervention Period (Week 16) and after a Follow-up Period (Week 32).
  • Miamor582
    Miamor582 Posts: 12
    Options
    I was always taught to always eat a carb and a protein together. I have eatten oatmeal with a teaspoon of raw honey for the past year and it works well for me.
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options

The high carb and low carb group lost weight during the 16 weeks. At follow up after 16 weeks the low carb group gained weight while the high carb morning dessert eaters kept losing weight.
  • Elif84
    Elif84 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I heard that information as well. I usually have a protein shake with mixed berries and I don't crave anything for the rest of the day! (which is a great feeling!)
  • littlepinkhearts
    Options

Don't have a link to the full study but wonder if they held protein constant in the breakfasts
    In this study 193 obese (BMI 32.2±1.0kg/m(2)), sedentary non diabetic adult men and women (47±7years) were randomized to a low carbohydrate breakfast (LCb) or an isocaloric diet with high carbohydrate and protein breakfast (HCPb). Anthropometric measures were assessed every 4weeks

ok, that helps :)