Looking for a Group or a Challenge

Options
Hi! I've been gone from MFP for about 2 months. I had been laid off from work for 8 months, and finally went back the first of August. It's been 50 hour weeks since then, and I'm having trouble finding the motivation and the energy to get back to the gym. This past week, I worked out 4 times, so I think I'm getting it back. I need to start logging my food again, so I just need someone to kinda keep an eye on me. I haven't gained too much weight back, but I haven't lost anything. I was the lowest I've been in years when I stopped and I want to get back there.....and beyond. I'd like to join a group or a challenge.....maybe something starting October???

Replies

• arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    just join in....find a group that peaks your interest and answer the post!!

There is a walkers group, a runners group and a Woggers group
    Vegetarians, carnivores and clean eaters!!

If none of these interest you, then start your own! It takes a bit of time so dont get discouraged. Just bump your thread until ppl start to answer. My favs are the Black Team and Proud threads :love:

There is something for anyone and you just jump in and from my experience you are welcomed.
  • barbarella
    barbarella Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    5 Weeks to Halloween baby! :laugh: :flowerforyou: :drinker:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/66931-5-weeks-to-halloween
  • trillium
    Options
    Hey pshook! I'd love to do that with you. I'm in school to become a personal trainer and this semester we have a 4 part project to do. It's a personal fitness assignment. Part 1 was designing our workout plan. Done. Part 2 is following it AND keeping a log of it. :noway: My new workout runs from Sept 30 to Oct 30, and then another new one from Oct 31 to Nov 30. I'm concerned with my ability to stay motivated and have the energy because on top of being in school full time, I'm also a single mom of two. :laugh: So, if you're up for it, and want to go at it together, I'm good with that. Let me know! :smile:

Holly
  • Cariñosita
    Cariñosita Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Hey trillium! I'd love to do this together. It's good to have someone besides myself to answer to. I started working out again last week. I weighed in this morning at 170lbs. :sad: I was doing so well. So, how often are you weighing yourself? What are your goals?
  • trillium
    Options
    Hey! Sorry for the delay, school keeps me busy. Lol. I got your friend request! Thanks for adding me!! :)

As for my goals, well I want to lose about 20 more pounds. I wasn't weighing myself for a while and then weighed in the other day and was a little annoyed to see that I had a slight gain :noway: . So now I'm weighing myself daily. I know people say not to, but it's actually put things in perspective, plus I recently found out I'm not reaching my target heart rate so that could explain why I'm not losing so well. So yeah, lol, I'm doing... alright, but definitely could be doing better. Ugh, stress! :tongue: Anyway, enough ranting, I've bought a heart rate monitor that also can monitor calories burned so I'm hoping that will help me too and I'm going to be adding more cardio to my workout. We'll see. How about you. What are your goals? What kind of a workout plan are you doing? I'm Holly, by the way! :) Thanks for doing this with me!! Now that I know we're doing this together, I'll check in here daily!! :happy:

Holly
  • trillium
    Options
    Just checking in. Did Chalean Extreme Push Circuit 1 today and I'm really going to feel it tomorrow! *ouch* :sad: It's all good though. Lol. What about you? How did your day go?
  • Cariñosita
    Options
    Hi, Holly! I'm Patricia. I have a few goals. My main goal is to lose 20lbs. I only had 10 to go......but I messed it up. I usually work out 5 times a week. I run/walk outside or at the gym. I also do weights with my bf some days. Another goal I have is to be able to do 1 pullup. I've never done one in my WHOLE life. So, if I reach that goal, I'll be ecstatic. My bf and I are planning to do two 5k's next month. I really need to start doing more running to prepare for that. Oh...and I think you'll love your HRM. That's one of the best investments I've made. I really helps you push yourself.

I'm dog sitting for my brother. They are going to be my exercise today. I have to go walk them in a little bit. And I have to walk them separately because they're kinda big :) Wish me luck :laugh:
  • Cariñosita
    Options
    Hey! I forgot to check in yesterday, but I walked for an hour and a half yesterday. 5ish miles. Today we went to the gym and worked back and arms, and we're going to walk later tonight. I need to work on the diet, though. It's so hard. So, how are you doing??
  • trillium
    Options
    Hey Patricia! I forgot to check in yesterday too. I'm doing alright. I need to work on the diet too. I didn't workout yesterday because I was just so tired. Thankfully today's class involved 45 minutes of cardio testing so I'm counting that as my workout. I was supposed to Chalean Extreme today but I'm burned out. Thank god for my long weekend to catch up on sleep.

I did learn something interesting in class today. When you're working out, there are two types of energy your body draws from: fat energy which is burned through the blood and glucose energy also in the blood. The fat energy (fat calories form stores) is burned using lower intensity cardio where the higher intensity cardio burns blood glucose. So if your goal is to burn fat specifically it's better to do a low intensity cardio workout for longer than it is to do a high intensity workout for shorter. I didn't know that and found it very interesting. So I'm going to try that out.

You're diet will come in time. I'm still struggling with mine. Lol. It's a day by day process. Feel good about your little hurdles!! :)
  • Cariñosita
    Options
    Good Morning! Actually, I guess it's afternoon already. Anyway, I've heard that before about doing lower intensity for longer periods of time, but that's difficult for me to do. I feel like I don't really workout unless I'm going all out. I doubt that I'll make it to the gym today, but I'll probably have to walk the dogs later. They go back home tomorrow :drinker: They are a handful.

Do you want to report our weight to each other like once a week or something? Just let me know. Hope you get some rest.

Patricia
  • trillium
    Options
    Sure. We can report our weight to each other once a week. I weighed myself yesterday and was not impressed to see a slight gain. Right now I'm sitting at 137 and would really love to get down to 115. Here's hoping. I know I'm building muscle right now so I'm going to wait a bit to see if the scales tip to the fat burning AND muscle building side. Lol. I'm also going to try the longer low intense workouts and see if that helps. I agree about not feeling like much of a workout and not being able to. I'm worried it's going to take up most of my time. Argh. Losing weight is an art!! :laugh:

Do you have the dogs like that often? Sounds like they are a workout unto themselves! Lol.

Have a great weekend!! It's our Thanksgiving here so I probably won't be on again until Mon, Tues at the latest. Talk soon! :happy:

Holly
  • Cariñosita
    Options
    That's the truth!! It is a work of art. I don't have the dogs too often, but they are an excellent workout :wink: I weigh tomorrow, so I'll report my weight then. I know it's 170ish. I get down to 160.....ish, then I start gaining again. I haven't figured out why. I don't know if I'm scared of something or I just get lazy. I just can't figure it out.

Anyway, Happy Thanksgiving!! I'll talk to you soon.

Patricia
  • trillium
    Options
    Ugh! What a weekend!! I feel terrible because I haven't worked out since Saturday and all I've done is eat!!! And of course it's now my favourite time of every month. I'm counting this past while as a write off and starting fresh tomorrow. Not to mention I have midterms coming up so I'm going to need the stress relief.

We'll get you down past the 160 no problem!!! :wink: We can do it! :) What workouts are you doing? Next week I'm going to be doing 6 days of cardio and 3 days of strength training (some overlap in there). I know I'm asking a lot of myself but I have to do it because I'm so tired of this last 20lbs! Grrr.

Anyway, enough of my rant. How are you doing?

Holly
  • Cariñosita
    Options
    I know how you feel. I haven't worked out since Saturday, either. My boyfriend usually pushes me to go to the gym when I don't feel like it, but this week he's the one who's too worn out to go. I haven't been eating horribly, but not great either.....so I'm sure I won't like what the scale has to say on Monday.

My workouts usually consist of 5-6 days of cardio and 2-4 days of strength. On straight cardio days, I do at least an hour and on combo days I only do 20-30 minutes of cardio. I actually read an article a few days ago on Yahoo that said most people do too much cardio. They said 20-30 minutes a day is enough and to focus more on strength training. Who knows!! Everyone says something different. Anyway, I just know that I need to get back to it. My boyfriend and I are planning to do 2 5ks next month, so I'm supposed to be training for that also.

WE CAN DO THIS!!! :drinker: TO US!

Have a wonderful Thursday!

Patricia
  • Cariñosita
    Options
    This is soooooo difficult. Will I ever get it right?? Pizza AND beer today :frown: Hope you're doing better than I am. By the way, I joined a group that I used to be part of again. Here's the link if you want to check it out.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/68482-beautiful-blues-restart-week-3

Happy Friday!
  • trillium
    Options
    Lol. I did pizza on Friday too!! We CAN do this, you're right! I'm going to bring my workout stuff to my sister's so when I pick up my kids after school, I can force myself to workout before I get the kids home and am too tired.

Remember, tomorrow (or today too) is a new day. We can't change what we did yesterday, we can only change what we do next time. One day at a time, one step at a time, one pound at a time. We will do this!!

Did you do your weigh in? I did mine yesterday and am still sitting at the same, but granted I haven't worked out regularly this week because I've got a cold. I plan on starting fresh again Monday. Let me know how you're doing.

Holly
  • Cariñosita
    Options
    Hey, how was your weekend? Mine was good. Of course, not long enough. I went to the gym on Saturday and worked arms and ran. Yesterday, I ran a mile, then did a kickboxing class, and some abs and pushups. Today, I push mowed the yard. I've been doing awful on my food. Sunday, I made cinnamon rolls and I think I ate 5 or 6 of them. :mad: I get so mad at myself sometimes.

Well, I hope you're having more luck than I am. Oh yeah.....and I gained 2.8lbs last week. RIDICULOUS!

Talk to you soon,
    Patricia
  • trillium
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear you're having a tough time. You're doing better than me in the working out aspect. I STILL haven't worked out because I've been sick and now I have my midterms. Ugh. I have no time to do anything. Although, thanks to stress I have lost 3 pounds :ohwell: I baked on Sunday too, made a whole pile of apple... everything, lol... yeah... tried a whole pile of apple... everything. LMAO! :laugh: We'll get back on track, I know we will. I get mad at myself too... A LOT. It can be so frustrating. I miss the time of being a kid when none of this mattered. It is only a slight gain, have you been lifting a lot of weights? It could be muscle. We'll get there... just gotta get rid of the stressors, distractions and temptations. Maybe we should tackle this one step at a time. Like, focus on getting into the habit of working out consistantly again, and then tackle the next hurdle. I don't know, Lol!

Anyway, I have faith in you, in us, we will get there, I know!

Holly
  • Cariñosita
    Options
    You are very inspirational. :smile: I know I can do this......I've done it before. It's like something has changed inside of me.......a monster got out of it's cage or something. I agree with you, though. Maybe start out small. Exercising regularly. I thought this would be my week, but so far, I've only worked out once.....twice if you count push mowing the yard. Anyway, I really appreciate you being here, and I hope we can help each other through this.

Good Luck with the weekend.

Patricia
  • trillium
    Options
    Thanks for the faith and compliments Patricia! I, however, am not feeling very inspired today. I feel like giving up. I haven't worked out since Thanksgiving because of EVERYTHING. Thank god I only one more midterm next week and then I'm done. I'm going to try and force myself back into my normal habit this week as the bulk of my cramming... ahem, I mean responsible studying, is done. Lol. I just feel like such a failure. I know that's the lack of endorphines thanks to lack of exercise talking... BUT STILL! Argh! Lol. Thank god too that the kids are with Daddy this weekend, time to clean and set things right!!!

How are you doing?