Sneaking in the veggies

GreenEyedMonster
GreenEyedMonster Posts: 803
edited September 20 in Food and Nutrition
So last night I made some spaghetti with meat sauce but I browned the meat with some fresh garlic, onion, zucchini, and summer squash. It was really good and I generally dislike squash.

So what I'm looking for is other ideas where you can sneak in the veggies to the point where you almost don't even notice you're eating them.

Replies

• Arienna
    Arienna Posts: 913
    One way that I know of, if you like baked goods, especially muffins, you can replace the fat with shredded zucchini. There's a show on lifetime called Cook Yourself Thin. They have a lot of good substitutions to meals to make them healthier!

http://www.mylifetime.com/on-tv/shows/cook-yourself-thin/recipes

There's a link to the show's recipes.
    :flowerforyou:
  • loritas
    loritas Posts: 51
    Bump
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    I mix mine in with rice or pasta
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    make fajitas with lots of mushrooms, green peppers, onions n tomatoes.

When I want something crunchy n salty like chips, I swap for carrots sticks n hummus.
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    make fajitas with lots of mushrooms, green peppers, onions n tomatoes.

When I want something crunchy n salty like chips, I swap for carrots sticks n hummus.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Get spaghetti squash, bake it, and clean it out really well. Then substitute the pasta for it. So good! It's especially great if you are one of those people that needs something crunchy (snacking on potato chips & doritos just for the way they feel in your mouth, anyone?)
    Makes a great substitute for pasta.
  • Magenta15
    Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
    grate carrots into spaghetti sauces, finey chop mushrooms in spag sauce, peppers too

spinach mixed with ricotta for my cheesy lasagna layers

cauliflower mashed with potatoes or mashed alone as a potato sub [i do this on my shepherds pie]

turnip mashed in with potatoes

if you make home made mac n cheese i have seen recipes that call for squash [??butternut?] pureed and made as part of the "cheese" sauce

pumpkin or zucchini in baked goods,

pulled pork in the slow cooker with onions and peppers, once everything is pulled you barely tell whats what - great for wraps or on salads or brown rice [ i do tenderloin, a bit of broth and spicey thai sauce]

i'll be back if i think of more, i used to have to hide veggies for my ex :laugh:
  • The other night my guys wanted greasy burrittios with the ground beef and refried beans .. well I did it healthy..

I took a small zuccini and yellow crook neck squash diced them up in a skillet added roma tomatoes, mushrooms, onions, fresh ground cumin seeds cheyanne peper and granulated garlic and sauted it in a skillet and then wraped in a flour tortillia with a little grated cheddar and .. OMG it was amazing... and low in calories ...

mY HUBBY DOESN;T LIKE VEGGIES WO I DICE THEM UP SMALL AND THROW THEM INTO ALL KINDS OF THINGS :smile:
  • renee22
    renee22 Posts: 33
    healthy pumpkin muffins for breakfast/snacks/dessert

1 box of spice cake mix
    15 oz can of pureed pumpkin

mix together & bake in muffin cups at 350 for 15-20 mins

sometimes, i add chocolate chips to satisfy my sweet tooth. :)

each muffin is worth 1 pt (weight watchers)
  • Awesom tips folks. Feel free to keep 'em coming. I need all the help I can get and I'd rather hear it from folks who actually enjoy the foods then find random recipes online.
  • Finely diced zucchini and onions mixed into a spaghetti sause if u grill them with a little onion and italian seasonings you really cant taste them on the sauce at all ... :drinker:
This discussion has been closed.