It's ruining our relationship

Options
I began truly eating healthy in January, six month after moving in with my fiance. I've always been focused on my weight, but hit a plateau over the summer and gave up.

I cook healthy dinners every night, and always make sure there is enough for my fiance's lunch/dinner. He works second shift and I work first.

His diet and lifestyle are more prominent to me than ever before. I can feel it beginning to ruin our relationship, and we aren't even married yet. (June of 2013).

Just the amounts of the foods that he eats and the manner that he prepares them is so unhealthy. I know the nutritional makeup of that food...I know he isn't really hungry.

He works a desk job, so is very sedentary at work, and he is also very inactive at home. I frequent the gym, and encourage him to come with me on the weekends, but he doesn't.

I have spoken to him and voiced my concerns. A vast majority of his family is overweight. His mother had gastric bypass and his dad just got diagnosed with diabetes. When DF was in the doctors, they mention that his blood pressure is high.

How do I salvage this? Do I just turn a blind eye? I don't want to be one of those people that just nags and nags about healthy eating.

I'm coming here because I'm more anonymous here. This is nothing I haven't voiced to my fiance. But I can't watch him destroy himself. Am I overly fixated? Am I over reacting?

Replies

• EBFNP
    EBFNP Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    If you are ready to leave your fiance over the way he eats now, then you guys don't stand a chance.Maybe you should voice your concerns and slowly work with him. I doubt his eating patterns are new from the sound of it, but since you are on a new diet you have a new perspective?
  • 2bFitNTrim
    2bFitNTrim Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    You can only set the good example for him, but he has to do it . Sounds like he does not want to. If that's the case, you have to decide if this is a deal breaker. Can you live with him for the rest of your life like this? Do not expect to change him; he needs to do that himself. So if he doesn't, can you live with it?
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I'm in a similar situation, my girlfriend eats very unhealthily. I have come to the conclusion that if i continue to gain health, she will eventually follow my lead. If your man starts getting fat, and you start getting healthy, he will take notice, and hopefully make some changes. At least that's my hopeful thinking, but ultimately we can only change ourselves.
  • HelloSweetie4
    HelloSweetie4 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    You can't force someone to be healthy. You can encourage him and voice your concerns, but it's ultimately his choice. He may not be mentally ready to tackle his food/weigh issues yet.
  • MamaLeague
    MamaLeague Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I know that this is a totally learned behavior from him. I'm not thinking about leaving him, I love him. I'm genuinely worried for his health. I do not want to become a widow due to something preventable.

He has said he is worried that when I get fit and lose weight, I'll get attention from other men. He had a nightmare that I cheated on him.

I don't keep snacks or pop or junk in the house. He gets it at work. I know that since I have began dating him, his family has become more active. When I go to visit, I work out while there. They are now working out and being active. We are going to do a 5k together.

Maybe I do just need to wait it out. If his family is becoming more healthy, maybe he will too.
  • soccermum75
    soccermum75 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    My husband is the same. I have not nagged him about anything. Just try to keep healthier stuff in the house and shopw him a good exemple. Hubby actually picked up running by himself and just ran a 5K. Be patient. If he is not ready to change nothing that you can say will make him change.
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    You are the boss of you and you only. Trying to control anything in his life won't end well for either of you.
  • MamaLeague
    Options
    My husband is the same. I have not nagged him about anything. Just try to keep healthier stuff in the house and shopw him a good exemple. Hubby actually picked up running by himself and just ran a 5K. Be patient. If he is not ready to change nothing that you can say will make him change.

Thank you for your advice. I'm hoping this is what happens.

I really just needed a space to vent. We had a rough morning, and I really don't have anyone to talk to about this.
  • MamaLeague
    Options
    You are the boss of you and you only. Trying to control anything in his life won't end well for either of you.

I'm in no way trying to control him. I'm just wishing he showed a glimmer of interest in his well being, especially with his family's health issues.
  • mrsjms
    mrsjms Posts: 6
    Options
    I too worry about my husband. He doesn't eat good at all and he smokes. However, I have to worry about myself first. It just like being on a plane. You have to the put the oxygen mask on yourself first and then you can help others. With that being said though you can push to hard. You can only do so much. Your fiance has to decide for himself that he wants to change.
    My husband has the mindset of he's going to do what he wants and I can do what I want. I had to accept that, because all the *****ing in the world will not change it. Does this keep me from worrying? NO, of coarse not.
    I do not think you are overreacting but you have to step back a little because you could potential push him the other way. He has to decide for himself. Just make sure you are setting a good example.
    I hope this helped.
  • itgeekwoman
    itgeekwoman Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    This is a tough one. Are you ok with how he eats?

I know that I've had to ask the same questions. My husband smokes and was eating anything and everything. At one point he noticed that I was starting to become slim and beautiful and other guys were noticing. When he asked if other guys noticed I said "heck yes". I also told him that I loved going to the gym and respected healthy lifestyles.

So after a few months of this I think the lightbulb turned on in his head. He's joined the gym, has a trainer and is eating healthy and working out now. He knows that I'm not likely to stick around and live an unhealthy lifestyle. I am young, beautiful and I deserve the same.

Make your choice, but do it for you or you will resent him for a very long time.
  • jhigg11
    jhigg11 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    He sounds depressed. The lack of motivation, probably binge eating junk at work. Feeling insecure about you, and your relationship. Without bringing up the weight, you should make an effort to tell him things that you love about him, and why he is the person you want to spend the rest of your life with. In any relationship, it's the little gestures. Do that often, and let him come around on the exercise himself. Don't mention or criticize his eating, he most likely does it to himself already. He probably turns to the food, after fights. Talk about things you want to do with him in coming years. He has to start believing in your guys future.
  • angeldaae
    angeldaae Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    If your relationship can be "ruined" simply by changes and differences in eating habits, you need to focus on fixing your relationship.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    His diet and lifestyle are more prominent to me than ever before. I can feel it beginning to ruin our relationship, and we aren't even married yet. (June of 2013).

Just the amounts of the foods that he eats and the manner that he prepares them is so unhealthy. I know the nutritional makeup of that food...I know he isn't really hungry.

He works a desk job, so is very sedentary at work, and he is also very inactive at home. I frequent the gym, and encourage him to come with me on the weekends, but he doesn't.

I have spoken to him and voiced my concerns. A vast majority of his family is overweight. His mother had gastric bypass and his dad just got diagnosed with diabetes. When DF was in the doctors, they mention that his blood pressure is high.

How do I salvage this? Do I just turn a blind eye? I don't want to be one of those people that just nags and nags about healthy eating.

I'm coming here because I'm more anonymous here. This is nothing I haven't voiced to my fiance. But I can't watch him destroy himself. Am I overly fixated? Am I over reacting?

Right now, you are adding to the problem by addressing this with him. You cannot ever get a person to comply with changing diet, to do exercising, to make changes. That person has to make that decision for theirself on their own.

The fact you have explored several ways of bringing this to his attention and have admitted to approaching him is enough for anyone to feel horrible and question whether or not you love them truly unconditionally, and perhaps have second thoughts.

Your fiance has to make this choice for himself without any prodding from you.

If the tables were turned, it would be the same thing - its wrong.

My husband is 6ft 6in tall, just a hair over 300lbs. He has a slight elevation in blood pressure (averages 132/85), and that's it. He doesnt drink soda anymore (his own choice), he has greatly reduced the junk food he consumes (he is a Truck Driver and greasemonkey), he limits the amount of alcohol he consumes and eats as healthy as possible - even embraces the meals I make that do not include the foods I am allergic to. But he does this on his own, by his own choice. I wont make him do anything nor advise him to make changes because thats his responsibility.... but because he knows I have to watch my health, he has willingly embraced the things I need to watch out for. And I appreciate that so much.

Dont ruin your relationship by doing what you are doing. Im pretty certain you would not want him to do the same thing to you if the roles were reversed.
  • country_club
    Options
    I have been married for almost 12 years.

When I want my wife to do something more healthy, I try to let my actions speak louder than words. I just do my thing - I watch my portions, avoid high cholesterol foods and make time for exercise. I have seen results. I am more relaxed and feel healthier with regular exercise.

On occasion, my wife wants to try a new restaurant - one I know will have foods high in cholesterol, which is a big issue for me. I try to accomodate her desire to get out and try new restaurants, which is good for our marriage, but on occasion, I have to say "there's nothing I can eat there." After a few instances like this, she has rolled with it, and we usually choose somewhere else to go out. Planning is key to this - when you are walking around hungry, looking for a place to go eat is much harder.

My wife has started to frequent the gym, and has started to see results.

But if for some reason she stops going, that's fine. I take care of me first. Attraction works better than promotion in the case of my fitness and my marriage.

Good luck with everything. Don't worry - it will work out fine.
  • cherbapp
    cherbapp Posts: 322
    Options
    He is healthier with you than without you.

You are doing what you can...it's up to him to do the rest. You have to ignore it for your relationship. One healthier person is better than zero. Be proud of yourself....eventually he may come around. :)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Speaking from a guys perspective, the more you nag about it the more likely he is to resist & do the exact opposite (it's a guy thing - like asking for directions). Males are stubborn but we're not terribly complicated. Lead by example and he'll soon follow, nag and he'll dig in his heels.
  • emjay126
    emjay126 Posts: 4
    Options
    I have been watching my husband dig his grave with his fork for over 30 years. And he has multiple, multiple health issues - some related to his size and some not. I should have looked to his family all those years ago to know what life would be like as we aged. Even though he wasn't this way before we married, he is now. And I have always struggled with my weight, because I know the fight is all mine and nobody else's. Once again I have decided that I refuse to let myself go into the same unhealthy trap he is in. I'm down 24 pounds and have a long ways to go, but I will keep trying. It's a solo journey, but I'm on it. I would love to see him look at you and decide that healthy is the way he needs to be. I have seen it happen to others. But if it doesn't, it will be your decision whether you can live with his unhealthy lifestyle in your home.
  • KetoBella
    KetoBella Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I know that this is a totally learned behavior from him. I'm not thinking about leaving him, I love him. I'm genuinely worried for his health. I do not want to become a widow due to something preventable.

He has said he is worried that when I get fit and lose weight, I'll get attention from other men. He had a nightmare that I cheated on him.

I don't keep snacks or pop or junk in the house. He gets it at work. I know that since I have began dating him, his family has become more active. When I go to visit, I work out while there. They are now working out and being active. We are going to do a 5k together.

Maybe I do just need to wait it out. If his family is becoming more healthy, maybe he will too.

If you are engaged you have to use this time to determine if marraige is the right decision. People tend to be on their best behaviour while dating. You have to honestly ask yourself if nothing changes and likely with age and marraige additional pounds will be possible you are going to not resent and be frustrated by this.

I added the comment you made regarding his comment to you about his being worried when you get fit and lose weight you will get attention from other men and has nightmares you will cheat on him. Frankly, that would be a red flag for me. On so many levels he seems insecure and is also attempting to undermine your efforts by saying you are worrying him by your trying to look good and eat healthy. That is a common reaction to change and I hope you are strong enough to not let him get to you!
  • MamaLeague
    Options
    Honestly, I wish someone had addressed my weight and health years ago. I wish someone would have pointed out how unhealthy I had become. I wish I had someone who cared enough to want to help. If someone had told me back then what I would be going through now to try to help myself, I would have changed much sooner. I wish I had some prodding. Yes, it would have hurt to hear, yes, I would be upset at first. But I would want to hear it from someone who loves me.

He is depressed. He is on medication. Pretty much everyone in his family is on medication.

I have led by example for almost a year, and I am just plain ol' frustrated.