CARBS AND SUGAR PLEASE HELP!!

Options
2»

Replies

• cheesy_blasters
    cheesy_blasters Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    You should really only limit ADDED (refined, like in processed foods) sugars, not non-added ones in fruits and natural things like milk. Read the nutrition label: if it says sugar (or high fructose corn syrup, sucrose, etc etc) then it goes towards your limit. If not, ignore it.

If you are eating fruits and berries you are going to be waay over on your "limit" even though these things don't have added sugars. But in reality you don't have to limit them because they are not going to mess with our insulin levels like the added sugars do because they are natural and have lots of fibers and things. And so you should eat them up!!:love:

This is a big problem with MFP, it is very misleading.

I just joined and this is something I noticed! I don't eat things with a lot of added sugar very often but when I tried to track my sugar, I couldn't believe how quickly I went over. I eat a lot of protein, vegetables and fruit and my sugar was insane(according to them). I figure I'll give it some time eating the way I am and if I don't notice changes, then I'll modify. I'm tracking iron and calcium instead, haha. I wish there was some differentiation because I think it could lead people who are new to eating well (and eating whole foods) to believe they aren't being healthy when they're actually improving their diet.

If you are interested: you can make your own entry that has 0 cals and negative units of sugar, and then at the end of the day count up all your sources of non-added sugars (apples, milk, strawberries, etc) and force add them in to see your true added sugar count for the day.

Oh cool! I'll look into that as soon as I'm more awake :) Thanks for the tip!
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    You should really only limit ADDED (refined, like in processed foods) sugars, not non-added ones in fruits and natural things like milk. Read the nutrition label: if it says sugar (or high fructose corn syrup, sucrose, etc etc) then it goes towards your limit. If not, ignore it.

If you are eating fruits and berries you are going to be waay over on your "limit" even though these things don't have added sugars. But in reality you don't have to limit them because they are not going to mess with our insulin levels like the added sugars do because they are natural and have lots of fibers and things. And so you should eat them up!!:love:

This is a big problem with MFP, it is very misleading.

I just joined and this is something I noticed! I don't eat things with a lot of added sugar very often but when I tried to track my sugar, I couldn't believe how quickly I went over. I eat a lot of protein, vegetables and fruit and my sugar was insane(according to them). I figure I'll give it some time eating the way I am and if I don't notice changes, then I'll modify. I'm tracking iron and calcium instead, haha. I wish there was some differentiation because I think it could lead people who are new to eating well (and eating whole foods) to believe they aren't being healthy when they're actually improving their diet.

If you are interested: you can make your own entry that has 0 cals and negative units of sugar, and then at the end of the day count up all your sources of non-added sugars (apples, milk, strawberries, etc) and force add them in to see your true added sugar count for the day.

Thats a good idea.
    If you look at the latest completed entry, the OP had 207g carbs - 62g good carbs, the rest 145g was sugar (did not include the sugar in fruit in the sugar amount of 145g).
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    If you look at the latest completed entry, the OP had 207g carbs - 62g good carbs, the rest 145g was sugar (did not include the sugar in fruit in the sugar amount of 145g).

Yeah, caught that. See my edit. :smile:
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options

Yeah, caught that. See my edit. :smile:
    Yeh, saw it - thanks.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I go over my carbs a little bit sometime and I almost ALWAYS go over my sugar, but Im still right at my calorie intake or a little less. Is this going to slow down my weight loss
    There is a body of opinion that says all calories are not the same and that carbohydrates are implicated in obesity.

MFP's sugar alarm can be turned off, or set to another number. You could just monitor total carbs for example.

Of course the sucrose grown by Florida Crystals is as natural as the sucrose in the oranges growing in the next field, so you will get confusing and mixed messages from people trying to differentiate one as good and the other as bad. Sympathy with that.

If you're serious about losing weight you could take out the excess sugars and reduce the calories accordingly. If "a calorie is a calorie" there would be no argument for replacing them.
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options

If you're serious about losing weight you could take out the excess sugars and reduce the calories accordingly. If "a calorie is a calorie" there would be no argument for replacing them.

The arguement for replacing them is to be HEALTHY. not necessarily for weight loss.:huh:
  • lilahtov
    lilahtov Posts: 10
    Options
    I frequently go over my sugar and 99% of the time it's because of the fruit I eat. Common sense should apply here! A fruit that makes you go over your sugar is WAY better than a low-cal sugary dessert that's artificial but "healthy" because it's low-cal. The sugars in fruit are NATURAL and digest way easier than any chemical-rich sweeteners!
  • B21goddess
    B21goddess Posts: 35
    Options
    Me to!!! I hope someone replies because I have this same question. it seems like no matter what I go over in carbs and sugar. I didn't realize just how much sugar every single food seems to have.

it sucks.. but Im not sure Ill be able to give it up :)
  • B21goddess
    Options
    Eat more pizza! Always make me feel more better. By eating more fat and protein, your carb intake will be more balance with your protein intake.

While I agree with the last sentence, how does eating pizza help with that?

lol thats why that person user name was stupid loser I guess xD
  • B21goddess
    Options
    The Mountain Dew - 290 calories, 76g Carbs - all sugar - waste of calories.
    What is florida crystals - you have it as 6 tsp - is this sugar in coffee??
    Another entry 8 tsp of sugar - you must have one hell of a sweet tooth?

yes it organic sugar :o
  • B21goddess
    Options
    The Mountain Dew - 290 calories, 76g Carbs - all sugar - waste of calories.
    What is florida crystals - you have it as 6 tsp - is this sugar in coffee??
    Another entry 8 tsp of sugar - you must have one hell of a sweet tooth?

Yeah, I checked out the diary. There is some crazy amounts of sugar going on!

My suggestion is to stop drinking all the sugary stuff! Most of your diary is sweet drinks or liquids, period. Maybe try drinking unsweetened fruit based ice tea instead? I did that to help me give up pop/soda.

Also, this is just my personal reaction based on my history of eating terribly but unless you aren't logging a lot of what you eat, you are probably not getting enough nutrients. Maybe add counters for calcium or iron or fiber or something to help you focus on eating a more balanced diet with more whole foods and not fast food/restaurant dishes/liquids.

I am logging everything I eat.
    Im recovering from ''bulimia"
    and Ive decided to give up artificial sweeteners
    and all I crave it SWEET things so its really really hard :(
  • B21goddess
    Options
    I go over my carbs a little bit sometime and I almost ALWAYS go over my sugar, but Im still right at my calorie intake or a little less. Is this going to slow down my weight loss
    There is a body of opinion that says all calories are not the same and that carbohydrates are implicated in obesity.

MFP's sugar alarm can be turned off, or set to another number. You could just monitor total carbs for example.

Of course the sucrose grown by Florida Crystals is as natural as the sucrose in the oranges growing in the next field, so you will get confusing and mixed messages from people trying to differentiate one as good and the other as bad. Sympathy with that.

I never have a appetite so drinking lots of sugar in my coffee and having 1 soda a day helps my calories go up.
  • B21goddess
    Options
    bump
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Wow, the ED issue gives so much more context to your original question.

Eating sweets for many people causes sugar cravings, its a vicious cycle. Eat sweets, crave sweets, repeat. I have found that my personal sweet cravings were greatly reduced by eating whole fruit or frozen fruit when I would have had some sort of treats. A favorite snack/dessert for me is cottage cheese with fresh strawberries, sweetened with some truvia. (I use real stevia for most of my sweetener, but truvia works better for certain things because it has the same crystalline texture as sugar). That snack has natural sugar, fat and protein, so it's actually very satisfying. When I was trying to break the sweet craving cycle, I ate a lot of fruit whenever I had those cravings, and it naturally tapered off to where I don't eat so much extra fruit, but I don't crave sweets anymore either.

Now, if you need to up your calories, and the sugar is what is helping maintain your recovery from the ED, then by all means eat the sugar! Keeping control over your ED is SO much more important than sticking to the limits set by MFP for your sugar allowance! That being said, soda and organic sugar are calorie dense, but nutritionally void. You can up your calories with more nutritionally dense choices, if you feel ready to do so. Natural peanut butter, healthy cooking oils like olive oil and coconut oil, nuts, dried fruit, dark chocolate, cheese, avocado, full fat greek yogurts, or adding a protein shake with any combination of these ingredients can help you add calories and add other nutrients as well.
  • B21goddess
    Options
    for some reason sugar and soda dont make me feel like Im going to get fat. but if I were to stick peanut butter in my mouth or add an extra meal Ill freak out.and protein shakes ect. I count them as meals.