Physically demanding job: calories burned?

Options
I started a physically demanding job last week at FedEx Ground and I'm not sure how many calories I'm burning while working. The job title is a package handler, and I unload packages from trailers and trucks. The packages range from 1lb to 100lbs that I will lift by myself, and 100+lbs is lifted by two people.

The shift is from 2.5-4 hours long. My first two days, my heart rate was way up, and my arm muscles were very sore. I drink plenty of water during the shift and after, but I'm wondering how much I should adjust my calories since I know I'm burning a lot on the days I work?

Note: I would wear my HRM to work, but they're strict about electronics since it could have been stolen from a package.

Replies

• megmay2591
    megmay2591 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    bump.
  • Rocki_
    Rocki_ Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Heya Meg. Can you not get them to tag your HRM somehow to prove you brought it in with you, rather than swiping it from a package? After all, you can wear a watch... Just a thought...
  • MLgarcia3
    MLgarcia3 Posts: 503
    Options
    Maybe just change your activity level on here?
  • RebeccainMI
    RebeccainMI Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Could you adjust your activity level on MFP to "Very Active" to help adjust your calories?
  • aminakhan1980
    aminakhan1980 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    If you go into the exersize database under cardio, you will see in the drop down list a few choices that begin with "moving" one is household furniture and a couple moving boxes and such. Choose one of those, sounds like it would be the closest...
  • CEHayes73
    CEHayes73 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    There is a listing under exercise for moving boxes. I suppose you could add it as fitness minutes, and eat back those calories.
  • aminakhan1980
    aminakhan1980 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Or changing your activity level, thats a good idea
  • falcon367
    falcon367 Posts: 116
    Options
    FedEx .. a company with more rules than the government itself. ;)

I did this years ago and had problems with tendinitis because of the constant repetitive motion you are doing .. so just be aware.

As for being able to accurately record your calories burned, I find it still difficult wearing a Fitbit as to what is realistic and what is not. Being a driver requires constantly "jumping" into and out of a vehicle that is 20" off the ground 120-170 per day, yet the Fitbit doesn't record that as anything more than a 'step". A HRM would be far more accurate. Since you don't have to go through a search every time you clock in or out, you should be ok ... after all, everything but the watch is under your shirt. It's not like they are going to strip search you .. you have Constitutional rights after all. :) The only problem you might have is getting the watch strap caught on a package as you unload or load the truck.
  • Kirkajuice
    Kirkajuice Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Can you not hook the watch to something under your shirt? Like a bra strap or something so that it can monitor you but can't be seen, maybe a belt loop if the shirt is long?
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    Change your activity level. Start with one step up and see if you keep the same rate of loss and adjust if necessary. No HRM required!
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Change your activity level. Start with one step up and see if you keep the same rate of loss and adjust if necessary. No HRM required!
    I think this is the easiest way to go, and then you don't have to worry about HRM and rules.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options

Good idea! X
  • megmay2591
    megmay2591 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I figured out the adjusted calorie amount and plan on eating more on the days that I work. It's about 300-400 calories more per day I work. I'll just go on how hungry I feel, but continue counting calories so I know if I'm doing something right/wrong.
  • pinkbunny55
    Options
    It said online that you burn 500 calories an hour at fed/ex. But I've been there a month now and I have not lost much weight. I wonder why that is since I eat within my 2,000 calories a day sometimes even less then that. I know it was a long time ago that you worked there but how much weight did you lose working there? Thanks crystal
  • bantawi
    Options
    Just started this job for FedEx as an outbound loader. I had this job before when I was a younger man 12 years ago. So, I knew what I was in for. I have been able to wear an HRM made by Polar. During my last three hour shift I burned approximately 2,800 calories. I'm pretty sure, or at least like to believe, that I go at it harder than most. So, those results may not be typical. For most of the shift my heart rate stayed between 175 and 183, which is just five points shy of my max at age 32. During water breaks, it would recover fairly quickly the 155-160 range. Then I take it right back up again. It's a heck of a workout, but I don't remember being this sore when I was 20.