Transitioning from a lurker to a true member

Options
Hello, all. I stumbled onto this site about three weeks ago and have been reading posts and learning a great deal of valuable information. I have just started tracking food and exercise and after just a few weeks already see a decline in my motivation. I can already tell I will be unsuccessful yet again if I don't utilize the social aspect of this site. So here's my pitch:
My name is Elizabeth. I am a teacher and am ready to devote my summer to making lifestyle changes. It's a little outside of my comfort zone, but I am trying to rally an online support group (and if any of them are from the Cincinnati area, then even better). I am eager to reciprocate support as well. I definitely benefit from being accountable to someone initially. If anyone new or experienced is interested in befriending me, please let me know. Thanks in advance. Best of luck to everyone.

Replies

• bamachyck3
    bamachyck3 Posts: 31
    Options
    I'll be sending you a friend request! Having the support is what keeps me going. When I started using this site I was doing it with a couple of friends and my husband and they all quit. Shortly after they quit I lost my motivation and quit too. I recently got back to it and I'm very happy I did. The support from other users on this site has been phenomenal.
  • rschmmidt
    rschmmidt Posts: 296
    Options
    You can friend me if you are still looking for support. I'm a teacher, too. Seattle area. Like you, I'm also ready to devote my summer to kicking it up a notch!
    Ruth :flowerforyou:
  • barians
    barians Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Nice to meet you. Feel free to add me for support. We are all here to help each other lose weight and live healthier.
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Having friends on here has made all of the difference in the world to me! If I don't feel like exercising, but I see all of these posts from my friends that are out there getting it done, usually its the extra push I need! Feel free to add me if you'd like. You can do this!
  • hollowdoll
    hollowdoll Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    utilizing the social aspect of this site is CRUCIAL to your success, even more so than I realized until recently....
    the first three months I was a member I logged on for at least an hour a day (as well as logging every calorie) and I lost 23 pounds straight away... a gargantuan feat for me, as I had failed too many times to count...
    then I started getting away from the social aspect for a couple of months (but kept logging food) and the weight loss pretty much halted... I didn't gain, but I didn't lose any more, either...
    then last week I decided to make a more concerted effort to start connecting with my friends more regularly again, and I've lost 2 more pounds since...
    maybe it's friends' support, maybe it's being accountable to them, maybe it's seeing others' success, maybe its all of the above... but I am here to tell you that connecting with your MFP pals on a DAILY basis is imperative to real weight loss success (as well as keeping your food log public or at least viewable to friends)... good luck and may the force be with you!!
  • jwshmoe75
    jwshmoe75 Posts: 119
    Options
    I will be sending you a request. Anyone else can add me if they want. The more support the better.
  • Carmiemaxiepopbull
    Options
    Hello Elizabeth. I am like you & have joined but not had a good crack at it yet. Unfortunately I am not in Cincinnati & we couldn't catch up for a walk & coffee but we can help encourage eachother from afar (Australia)! Cheers, Carmen.:smile: