Anyone with a nut allergy?

Options
Hellous!

I just recently discovered that I'm allergic to nuts. This is sort of new to me and even if google provides me with some pretty detailed info, I'm wondering how you guys manage in your every day life? Are you eat nuts at all or just small amounts? How about those chocolates/candies that "may contain traces of nuts"? The doctor at the hospital yesterday wasn't very helpful. He just said that some people don't find out until they go into anaphylactic shock. That was not so comforting... And also he didn't prescribe me anything to carry with me just in case. Because what will I do next time when I'm alone and happen to eat something that contains nuts or traces of nuts.. This is freakin scary to be honest and the doctor's attitude really pissed me off. So does the fact that I have no idea how big of a life change this is going to be :(

Replies

• FatGirlSlim899
    FatGirlSlim899 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm so sorry to hear that! I am not allergic to nuts but I have a severe allergy to dairy. Yes, all dairy.

Anyway I think the thing that stands out to me most about your post is the fact that you don't have an epi- pen? When my bloods came back I was given 2 straight away, one for work and one for carrying on me. It really scares me that you never got any? Seriously I would go back and demand them, because they can (and likely will one day) save your life.

Personally I eat nothing with dairy, but I 'test' things that say 'may contain traces', and if I'm okay then I can clear that food and add it to my safe foods list. However ONLY do that if you have epi pens nearby, because going into shock is terrifying and no joke! Hope it all works out for you! X
  • PBJunky
    PBJunky Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Hellous!

I just recently discovered that I'm allergic to nuts. This is sort of new to me and even if google provides me with some pretty detailed info, I'm wondering how you guys manage in your every day life? Are you eat nuts at all or just small amounts? How about those chocolates/candies that "may contain traces of nuts"? The doctor at the hospital yesterday wasn't very helpful. He just said that some people don't find out until they go into anaphylactic shock. That was not so comforting... And also he didn't prescribe me anything to carry with me just in case. Because what will I do next time when I'm alone and happen to eat something that contains nuts or traces of nuts.. This is freakin scary to be honest and the doctor's attitude really pissed me off. So does the fact that I have no idea how big of a life change this is going to be :(

Ah man my biggest fear...not being able to enjoy my daily tablespoon of peanut butter
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    I'm not allergic, but a good friend of mine is highly allergic. She cannot eat ANY nuts. I basically have to scrub down my kitchen before she comes over to make sure nothing is contaminated with them. She also does not eat products that say "may contain traces" since if there are any traces, she will go into anaphylactic shock. When we go out to eat, she always asks what is in the ingredients and tells them that she has a nut allergy. She also can't go out for ice cream unless it's soft serve since that's the only way to be sure that it hasn't come into contact with nuts. And if you are allergic, then you NEED an epi pen.

Aside from that, she eats a lot of soy butter (instead of peanut butter) and sunflower seeds instead of nuts.
  • jimmie25
    jimmie25 Posts: 266
    Options
    Yeah well, my doctor said that it makes no sense to carry an epipen around when help is usually always pretty close (usually..). I asked him if he was joking but he wasn't. He said that people barely ever die from allergies (i bet that isn't true) and the epipen is no guarantee for help, those were his exact words. He said as long as i have my allergy pills with me, i should be ok. Which basically is a nice idea just that he didn't renew my presciption for those either..

As a result I find myself with psychosomatic symptoms everytime i eat. No matter what I eat I'm always scared I'll suffocate. As a result of that I've obviously developed some sort of Globus pharyngis.

Sorry. I'm just venting.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Yeah well, my doctor said that it makes no sense to carry an epipen around when help is usually always pretty close (usually..). I asked him if he was joking but he wasn't. He said that people barely ever die from allergies (i bet that isn't true) and the epipen is no guarantee for help, those were his exact words. He said as long as i have my allergy pills with me, i should be ok. Which basically is a nice idea just that he didn't renew my presciption for those either..

As a result I find myself with psychosomatic symptoms everytime i eat. No matter what I eat I'm always scared I'll suffocate. As a result of that I've obviously developed some sort of Globus pharyngis.

Sorry. I'm just venting.

No offense.. but you're doctor is an idiot!

I work with Special Education Students(who have peanut allergies) and they all have epi-pens. if you go into anaphlaxtic shock, that will basically save your life and keep you alive until medical help arrives.

I'd personally get a second opinion.. preferably from someone that deals with allergies, and can give you correct information. You shouldn't be scared to eat.. nor having to check every single food label not knowing what's in it.
  • candlelady
    candlelady Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Both my children (13 & 11 yrs old) are allergic to peanuts. We taught them since hey were very little not to share food, ask of the food (eg birthday cakes) have nuts and we avoid Asian foods as they often cook with peanut oil
    My kids don't have epi pens on dr advise, but they do take anti histermine when they come in contact with peanuts
  • lynn1982
    Options

Sorry. I'm just venting.

I think you need to be more pro-active than venting and find a new doctor. An allergy that can kill you is no joking matter and to suggest that help is always around you is ridiculous. Honestly, your doctor has no business treating patients if that is his way of thinking and he should have his license revoked. Is he suggesting that others around you might be carrying an epi-pen? Because that's all that will help you if you go into anaphylactic shock and need to wait 10 or 15 minutes for an ambulance to arrive. A shot of epinephrine is only meant to buy you that short amount of time before you can receive medical attention. All the allergy pills in the world will not help you. Please find a new doctor, preferably one with common sense...
  • jimmie25
    Options
    Yeah he is an idiot. And right now I'm not sure which terrifies me more.. the fact that i could eat something that might kill me or knowing that my life would be in the hands of a *kitten* :D
  • lynn1982
    Options
    P.S. A friend of mine in high school found out she had a nut allergy and became anorexic and almost died from that because she developed a fear that every food would kill her. You suggested in your post that you are afraid of eating other foods now for fear of being allergic. If carrying an epi-pen would quell that fear, then I think that's reason enough...
  • jimmie25
    Options
    I'll have to wait til January for my other doctor to get back from xmas vacation, until then I won't eat out and eat only the foods i prepare myself. weight loss indeed should be easy now :S
  • lombrica
    lombrica Posts: 1,419 Member
    Options
    I have an allergy to "TREE NUTS" ... just noting that it's really different than an allergy to peanuts (which aren't truly nuts). Tree nuts include Coconut... just so you know in advandce, as I did not.

As a child, I didn't "like" nuts... so I never wanted anything that they were in. My guess is that I knew on some level that my body was having a type of reaction to them. When I truly discovered the allergy was later in my life. The more exposure that I have to nuts the more severe the reactions seem to be, which is frustrating. It now means that I am very careful about what I eat and if possible I ask about what is in items... but it goes further - now I have found that I have to be even more careful about how things are made! The other day I had a reaction to a sugar cookie, yep a sugar cookie! Why? Well, either because when they made it - they didn't clean the cookie sheet or things used to make it after having nuts... or because of it being packaged and must have been next to a nutty cookie.

I don't have an epi-pen, my doctor back when didn't see the allergic reaction and therefore wasn't willing to prescribe one. However, his advice for me was CHILDREN'S BENEDRYL... reason - because you can get it in a liquid and it will work much more quickly! I also carry fast-acting Benedryl with me, have it at work and at home, have it at my families houses, etc. I've had an incident too often when I had taken it all from my purse and forgot to replace it (probably because I was so "knocked out" by the high amounts I take to counteract the reaction! LOL). I also was told, and it actually worked for my first known allergic food incident - to salmon - but red wine has some type of antihistamine or something... it worked, my breathing passage opened right back up... now, it was a pretty mild reaction vs total anaphylactic!

Finally - pay attention to the reactions that you have. I can usually tell pretty quickly if something was in what I am eating that I am allergic too. It starts in my tongue. They are usually NOT the life or death reactions... but probably could be that way if I kept eating something and didn't pay attention to the signs my body gives me. It IS scary to think that what would happen if I was alone - but again, that's why I pay close attention and have plenty of liquid benedryl available to drink! (yep - drink! I usually take at least 2 doses right away!) However, I have figured out that I need to just realize this is a part of my life! I can't panic when it happens - that speeds up the negative affects... so I am (mostly) calm and take my benedryl and really avoid things more now than ever!

In the end... know your body and know your reactions. You can still live a yummy, healthy life!
  • SusanE10
    Options
    I have an allergy to "TREE NUTS" ... just noting that it's really different than an allergy to peanuts (which aren't truly nuts). Tree nuts include Coconut... just so you know in advandce, as I did not.

As a child, I didn't "like" nuts... so I never wanted anything that they were in. My guess is that I knew on some level that my body was having a type of reaction to them. When I truly discovered the allergy was later in my life. The more exposure that I have to nuts the more severe the reactions seem to be, which is frustrating. It now means that I am very careful about what I eat and if possible I ask about what is in items... but it goes further - now I have found that I have to be even more careful about how things are made! The other day I had a reaction to a sugar cookie, yep a sugar cookie! Why? Well, either because when they made it - they didn't clean the cookie sheet or things used to make it after having nuts... or because of it being packaged and must have been next to a nutty cookie.

I don't have an epi-pen, my doctor back when didn't see the allergic reaction and therefore wasn't willing to prescribe one. However, his advice for me was CHILDREN'S BENEDRYL... reason - because you can get it in a liquid and it will work much more quickly! I also carry fast-acting Benedryl with me, have it at work and at home, have it at my families houses, etc. I've had an incident too often when I had taken it all from my purse and forgot to replace it (probably because I was so "knocked out" by the high amounts I take to counteract the reaction! LOL). I also was told, and it actually worked for my first known allergic food incident - to salmon - but red wine has some type of antihistamine or something... it worked, my breathing passage opened right back up... now, it was a pretty mild reaction vs total anaphylactic!

Finally - pay attention to the reactions that you have. I can usually tell pretty quickly if something was in what I am eating that I am allergic too. It starts in my tongue. They are usually NOT the life or death reactions... but probably could be that way if I kept eating something and didn't pay attention to the signs my body gives me. It IS scary to think that what would happen if I was alone - but again, that's why I pay close attention and have plenty of liquid benedryl available to drink! (yep - drink! I usually take at least 2 doses right away!) However, I have figured out that I need to just realize this is a part of my life! I can't panic when it happens - that speeds up the negative affects... so I am (mostly) calm and take my benedryl and really avoid things more now than ever!

In the end... know your body and know your reactions. You can still live a yummy, healthy life!

This is great information. My daughter is allergic to tree nuts and sesame seeds, as well as a lot of other things. Epi pens are a must, for sure. Also, I love knowing about the fast acting Benadryl and the Children's Benadryl. I usually just give her an adult tablet cut in half, but the slowness of the meds getting into her blood stream are an issue. I'll start using the Children's liquid Benadryl with her again.
  • kruegekm
    kruegekm Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I don't know if anyone will read this (its an old thread) but I recently developed an allergy to tree nuts, in my 30s. I have a severe anaphylactic reaction that has sent me to the hospital 3 times. I carry an epipen and had to use it for the first time last night, then went directly to the hospital.

I am also a vegetarian (have been for 11+ years) so I am used to having to express special needs around food, but now, suddenly, I find myself really struggling with this. Last night, for example, I was at a neighborhood BBQ and ate what I was told was a veggie burger, and it had walnuts in it (which I didn't learn until I had finished the whole thing). My reactions always come 2 hours after I eat a nut, so lucky I was at home when I realized I needed to go to the hospital.

I feel so sad about this. And really scared. When I react, I find it difficult to breathe, but I am never sure if it is just panic around the possibility of a reaction, or if it is really the anaphlaxis. Last night, when I took my epi-pen, in about 5 seconds I felt like someone had lifted a blanket off my head and I could breath.

I find that even though this should help my weight loss goals, it actually has the reverse effect. Because I know what I can eat, I eat way to much of it to feel safe, I guess. I am terrified of eating new things, which really bums me out. I used to consider myself adventurous in food.

Anyway, I just needed to vent, I guess. Its nice to read other people who have a nut allergy writing about how they manage.
  • Beatlegirl66
    Beatlegirl66 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I am 35 and I have lived with a peanut allergy my entire life. When I was old enogh to start eating "real" food, my mom gave me a little peanut butter on a cracker. She said I swelled up like a little balloon. I have basically avoided peanut oil and peanuts and peanut butter ever since. People always say that they can't imagine living without peanuts and feel bad for me, but I really don't know any different. Besides, I connect peanuts with death and have no desire to ever eat them.

I have only had 5-6 reactions during my life. Most of my life was during a time before epi-pens and knowledge of this sort of an allergy. My own Dad thought I was faking it when I was a kid. I read ingredience on everything and ask at unknown resturants. I do eat Chinese, but I always eat the exact same things when I go. I personally know what food that state that they were made in a place peanuts are made. But I also have to be careful around other people who are have ate peanuts.

It is just how I live my life. I do not think about to too much really.
  • egtyler1994
    egtyler1994 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Im 18 and discovered I had a Tree Nut allergy about two years ago ( I blame hormonal changes). I live in the south and if you know anything about it they love to cook or bake with tree nuts. Its been a process to learn how to live with out them. I always ask about any baked goods if there are nuts. You would be surprised what baked goods they can show up in. Also when I eat at a resturant I always read every description carefully as many chefs like to include nuts to add texture. I generally avoid Thai and stuff that has cocount in it ( which is a nut but it happened to work out that I hate it).Also look at what it is that you might eat and you can usually tell what might have nuts ( such as sweet potatoes). When going to parties let the host know of your allergy so they can plan ahead what to cook and how to best keep you safe while there. I always check the packages to see if see if they say may contain trace amounts of tree nut. If they say that I will generally will not eat that product, just incase that trace is enough to make me sick. Sadly to say there are several brands of body lotion and body washes (shampoos as well) that are starting to use nuts or nut oils. This is mostly the organic brands at the moment so be sure to check any organic body care before buying it. The major brands arent doing this yet but keep a watch out as it may become more popular in the future.

I also dont have a epipen. The doctor thought it was not nessassary for me. Though I disagree with him I have learned to be extra cautious in my daily life and make sure those around me know. By having those you spend the most time with know they will have a plan should (God Forbid) something should happen. Also learn your symptoms. When I eat them my tounge first tickles and then goes numb. Then it goes into my throat which does the same thing and then i get hives allover starting with the back of my neck. Knowing your symptoms well can give you precious moments to get help. Its a lot to take in and learn but over time it becomes a part of your daily life. Good luck!