Working out inside at home

Options
I live in Minnesota, and the winter is fast approaching. I have access to a gym on my college's campus, but it's far away, and I've gotten really sick in the past walking there in severe subzero weather.

I would really appreciate if anyone could tell me what they do to work out indoors at home. I don't have a lot of space to move around in, and I don't own any weights (and, being a college student, I don't have the money to get any if I want to buy textbooks).

Every winter, I put on weight. I don't want to do that this year. I want to prove to myself that I can get in shape and stay in shape even without access to the gym. So, what do you do?

Replies

• ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    If you have cable you can check out exercise tv. I had my friend record some. Depending on your level of fitness you can try WATP which is beginner/intermediate level. Some of the biggest loser dvds. Check your local library also. :flowerforyou:
  • HeatherMN
    HeatherMN Posts: 3,821 Member
    Options
    I also live in Minnesota and hate going outside after working out and having the sweat freeze!

I'm a huge fan of the Jillian Michaels and Biggest Loser DVDs. For each of them, you only need a set of hand weights (which are fairly inexpensive), and not a lot of space. I used to do them in my living room after moving the couch just a little bit for room. I also recommend doing the routines in Shape or Self magazine.

I know you said that you don't have money for weights, but in the long run, it will be worth it!

Just remember, every dollar spent on prevention is $100 or more saved later on medical expenses.

Good luck!
  • Cindysunshine
    Cindysunshine Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Lesley Sansones walking programs are great !!!!! I've done them in a limited space and it worked out great. I just got George Foremans walking system DVD's and I love them so far. Cindy :heart:
  • JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
    Options
    calisthenics (thinks like jumping jacks and pop ups), jump rope, hoolah hoop. You can even do your own little dance party. There is the 100 push ups challenge, 200 squats or sit ups challenges. All of these things require little to no investment and keep you moving.

And as far as weights, two gallon jugs of water = two 8lb weights.
  • auntbliz
    auntbliz Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    You can fill water bottles for weights. They aren't going to weigh too terribly much, but depending on the size bottles you can use, the more weight. If you don't buy water bottles, just ask a friend or schoolmate/teacher to save some for you. That's what I used for quite awhile before I was able to buy some weights, and they are much better than nothing. Also, you don't need a lot of room or to buy dvd's to do basic crunches and push-ups and those are also tried and true. I have also jogged in place in front of a TV show for my timer, if you can't do high impact, you can march in place. Remember to stretch for a couple minutes to avoid sore muscles though.
  • missheidi
    missheidi Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    set of resistance tubes. 15.00 at walmart. and it comes with a dvd.
  • GreenEyedMonster
    Options
    If you have the space and money you can always get a decent elliptical. I've got a Pro Form Space Saver at the house which is basically identical to the Nordic Track version without the name and half the price.
  • krnelso
    krnelso Posts: 21
    Options
    There are various ways to find "weights" without paying much. You can use canned goods, jugs of water, water bottles, textbooks... You can even fill a backpack with your text books & use both arms for lifting to workout. The best things I've found indoors at college were jumproping, dancing around the room to upbeat music, sit ups, push ups & jumping jacks. There are various exercise programs on tv if you check out your local TV guide. You can also research good workouts online that can be done in the space you have. You can do it!!!