HIIT Heart Rate Question

Options
Soo... one of the hardest things about HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) for me is actually getting my heart rate to the *lower* percentage range of 65%. My heart rate naturally runs a little fast, i.e. when I'm exercising at my peak it will stay around 185, but go up to 191 if I'm doing a really intense interval. When I take my level of exertion down, it still stays around 168, but it's supposed to be around 131 to be at the 65% mark (more fat burning- which I NEED). I feel like I would have to literally stop my exercise and walk very slow to get it down to that level... any suggestions?

If it helps, I'm 34, F, 6'1", 155 lbs, 21% BF.

Replies

• westmitten
    westmitten Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    No love. :grumble:
  • Peachycherries
    Peachycherries Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue!
    I cant quite seem to level it out either..
    I have completely given up and dont even keep my hands on the handles anymore.
    Seeing my heart rate creep that high freaks me out even though I know that its for good reason!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about heart rate. During the fast part run as fast as you can. During the slow part run as slow as you need to feel recovered.

If your heart rate isn't dropping very fast that is probably a sign that you need to increase your aerobic fitness. HIIT isn't going to do that. You need to add 3 or more longer easy paced runs to your week to build aerobic capacity.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it. How do you feel after and the day after? The low end percentage is less critical than the high end.
  • westmitten
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it. How do you feel after and the day after? The low end percentage is less critical than the high end.

Hmm... well, I've recently been reading some studies and one showed that a 150-lb person working out for 30 mins at a consistent 65% intensity burned 82 cals/41 from fat. When they did the same at a consistent 85% intensity, they burned 157 cals/10 from fat (yes, less!). But when they went from 65% to 95% and back to 65%, they burned 173 cals/50 from fat. That is why I was really trying to figure this out.

But thanks for the insight! :smile:
  • mmapags
    Options

Hmm... well, I've recently been reading some studies and one showed that a 150-lb person working out for 30 mins at a consistent 65% intensity burned 82 cals/41 from fat. When they did the same at a consistent 85% intensity, they burned 157 cals/10 from fat (yes, less!). But when they went from 65% to 95% and back to 65%, they burned 173 cals/50 from fat. That is why I was really trying to figure this out.

But thanks for the insight! :smile:

When your heart rate is at 50% to 75% your primary fuel is fat. When you exceed that you utilze more glycogen on an upward curve with higher heart rate. What this doesn't take into account though is that higher intensity exercise burns significantly more calories in the same amount of time and also has higher EPOC (Excess Post-exercise Oxygen Consumption) which causes a greater burn overall as you will continue to burn calories at a higher rate for hours after your workout. The workout that keeps heart rate at under 75% has no EPOC. Again, the 65% is not really anything to be concerned about. I am in excellent cardio condition and when I do HIIT, once I am warmed up and into the higher intensity, my rests only get down to about 80% of max at best. That's just how HIIT works. It has a very high EPOC though and the fat you burn for several hours afterward is the real benefit. If you just want to primarily burn fat as your fuel, don't do HIIT or steady state cardio at all. Walk. For a long time!! Like an hour and a half to 2 hours to get a similar burn. The great thing about HIIT is you get a great burn, the effect of increased EPOC and it only take 20 minutes or so!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i think if you're really doing HIIT then you're not going to have time for your heart rate to come down that much.

the only time i can even get my heart rate down that much is if i'm doing 2 minute recovery/1 min sprint intervals.

when i'm doing real sprints (15 secs rest/15 sec sprint) then my heart rate is pretty much in the anaerobic stage the entire time.
  • westmitten
    Options

When your heart rate is at 50% to 75% your primary fuel is fat. When you exceed that you utilze more glycogen on an upward curve with higher heart rate. What this doesn't take into account though is that higher intensity exercise burns significantly more calories in the same amount of time and also has higher EPOC (Excess Post-exercise Oxygen Consumption) which causes a greater burn overall as you will continue to burn calories at a higher rate for hours after your workout. The workout that keeps heart rate at under 75% has no EPOC. Again, the 65% is not really anything to be concerned about. I am in excellent cardio condition and when I do HIIT, once I am warmed up and into the higher intensity, my rests only get down to about 80% of max at best. That's just how HIIT works. It has a very high EPOC though and the fat you burn for several hours afterward is the real benefit. If you just want to primarily burn fat as your fuel, don't do HIIT or steady state cardio at all. Walk. For a long time!! Like an hour and a half to 2 hours to get a similar burn. The great thing about HIIT is you get a great burn, the effect of increased EPOC and it only take 20 minutes or so!

Amazingly helpful and insightful, thank you!! I had found a few articles that reinforced what you said (but not as in-depth), but it took me a few to actually get it, lol. Thanks for informing me about EPOC! xoxo
  • mmapags
    Options

Amazingly helpful and insightful, thank you!! I had found a few articles that reinforced what you said (but not as in-depth), but it took me a few to actually get it, lol. Thanks for informing me about EPOC! xoxo

You got it! Happy to help. :flowerforyou:

BTW, there is a great article on this at www.bodyrecomposition.com. It is the site of Lyle McDonald, one of the most respected nutrition and fitness experts in the field. It is one of my "go to" sites for accurate info based on exaustive research.