Here we go again. Salt may be good.

Options

Replies

• waffleflavoredtea
    waffleflavoredtea Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    my opinion after reading many opinions and studies on the subject is that added sodium in drinks and refined salt is bad, but that sea salt that's full of minerals is good for you in reasonable amounts. Salt is NOT the devil, and even water retention is not such a bad thing if you happen to overdo it. I like sea salt and I've only gotten bloated when I have packaged or canned foods full of sodium, not when I salt my own foods with the good stuff.
  • kmuree
    kmuree Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    my opinion after reading many opinions and studies on the subject is that added sodium in drinks and refined salt is bad, but that sea salt that's full of minerals is good for you in reasonable amounts. Salt is NOT the devil, and even water retention is not such a bad thing if you happen to overdo it. I like sea salt and I've only gotten bloated when I have packaged or canned foods full of sodium, not when I salt my own foods with the good stuff.

This!
  • oneoddsock
    oneoddsock Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Like a lot of things, we all need a bit of salt for our bodies to function properly. The problem comes when we have too much.
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    "By GARY TAUBES"

I stopped reading right there.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options

all salt is sea salt. it's just that some of the seas dried up. there are underground salt beds where seas used to be, but the salt is the same as dehydrating it from the present ocean. it may even have more minerals since water has washed dirt through it for centuries. just thought i'd point that out.
  • Peta22
    Peta22 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I've been using himalayan salt crystals for ages now - they're supposed to be really packed with minerals as well. I LOVE my salt though... Always have. I was worried I was eating too much but on my last test results from the dctors (general halth checks and bloodwork) the doctor said all results showed me as having excellent health! Yey me! :)
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    "By GARY TAUBES"

I stopped reading right there.

FTA:
    "The British scientist and educator Thomas Huxley, known as Darwin’s bulldog for his advocacy of evolution, may have put it best back in 1860. “My business,” he wrote, “is to teach my aspirations to conform themselves to fact, not to try and make facts harmonize with my aspirations.”

Oh, the irony.