for ladies only...

Options
I was just curious.. does anyone else seem to not lose weight or gain weight when it is that time of the month?

Replies

• ebelliss
    ebelliss Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    yes, yes, yes, and yes! hahaha look up this topic in the search bar and you will find TONS of threads just like this one
  • ElementalEscapee
    ElementalEscapee Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I would think so, since your body is obviously going haywire during that time....but if you resist the urge to grab sweets and things then I would suspect that nothing much would happen on the scale. Thanks for reminding me that I should probably talk to my doctor about why this is my 5th month skipping 'it'...I went a full year last year with only having 1 around the 8th month, so...and no I'm not pregnant lol.
  • pinkwhisk
    pinkwhisk Posts: 41
    Options
    i retain water so i drink more - seems to help
  • lussya
    lussya Posts: 19
    Options
    definitely, I've already used to it. Before I would feel desperate because I thought that my work doesn't give any resoult, but after "these days" everything is ok.
  • cgray
    cgray Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Yep. Perfectly normal. I have a comfortable weight range I try to maintain and not just one number.
  • railwife
    railwife Posts: 7
    Options
    Well, the reason I stall during that time is because I really want to eat the house...and it's such a good thing I don't have a gingerbread house. I could never figure out how to explain to my husband what happened to the living room wall. :laugh:
  • Devyns_mom
    Devyns_mom Posts: 22
    Options
    lol thanks ladies =)
  • pinkita
    pinkita Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    OMG yes, and the trick to combat all the water retention is to drink a lot MORE water. Fight fire with fire :wink: Sounds counterintuitive but it works!
  • midgetio
    midgetio Posts: 57
    Options
    I started dieting in March and i've since lost 23lbs, I haven't had a TOM since though - which is worrying :/ do you know what it could be?
    There is NO way I could be pregnant either...
  • ginnyz1
    ginnyz1 Posts: 49
    Options
    Of course! I'm either bloated or craving junk food or both. I just kind of shrug and move on during those weeks. I've found that the next week is usually better than normal. :glasses:
  • mmarcy7
    mmarcy7 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Yes, I stall or gain for a few days, but then it evens back out again. Annoying.
  • pinkita
    Options
    I started dieting in March and i've since lost 23lbs, I haven't had a TOM since though - which is worrying :/ do you know what it could be?
    There is NO way I could be pregnant either...

It's most likely from not eating enough. I'm speaking from personal experience. My last period was Jan 15 of this year. My hair was also falling out, nails got weak/split all the time, I felt cold constantly, and I had about 5 colds in as many months. I asked my doctor to run some lab tests to check my thyroid and hormones and everything was normal. I learned from reading the boards here that it was from not eating enough.

Start with this: Use an online calculator to figure out your BMR (there's one here on MFP under "Tools.) Now compare that number to how many calories you eat daily. Are you eating less than your BMR? If so, that could be your problem right there. Eating below your BMR eventually slows down your metabolism.

Check out the MFP group "eat more to weigh less." Might be just what you need.

Oh, and today... after all these months... I got my period! Never thought I'd be happy about that but it's a sign my health is getting back to normal. Yes, I want to lose weight and I have a long way to get to my goal, but I don't want to sacrifice my health in the process.

Good luck!
  • midgetio
    midgetio Posts: 57
    Options
    Thank you! I've had a constant cold for the past month or so, which could explain it. I'll check out that group now, it's just most of the time as well though I don't feel hungry enough to eat more - like today I've still had under 1200 and it feels like a lot, if you know what I mean?
    Well done on yours though! Aha yeah, I know what you mean I was thinking the other day about how much I want to come on my period just so I know everything's okay... Thanks again :-)
  • pinkita
    Options
    Thank you! I've had a constant cold for the past month or so, which could explain it. I'll check out that group now, it's just most of the time as well though I don't feel hungry enough to eat more - like today I've still had under 1200 and it feels like a lot, if you know what I mean?
    Well done on yours though! Aha yeah, I know what you mean I was thinking the other day about how much I want to come on my period just so I know everything's okay... Thanks again :-)

You're welcome! I know what you mean, I felt so stuffed after upping my cals, but there are many helpful people in that group who can help guide you with that. You can try eating higher cal versions of what you currently eat, for example, have 2% milk instead of fat-free, add some olive oil to salads, eat avocados, nuts, etc. There are ways to increase calorie intake without making you feel stuffed.

What's interesting is how many medical professionals never ask about calorie intake when we tell them about these symptoms. They all tell you to just exercise more or eat less, but many times that only adds to the problem!
  • AshleyNStanley
    Options
    YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think that is partly for the reason I am stalled right now!!!!!! Right after I start losing again.
  • ldg323
    ldg323 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Thank you thank you thank you!!

This is my second week and I've only lost 1 lb. The first I lost 3 and was very frustrated this morning! Now I know what the problem is!! I probably should have figured it out, but I didn't...........
  • zaithyr
    zaithyr Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Normally I gain weight from water retention. I'm bloated but the scale surprisingly hasn't moved! (Even after all the hershey's kisses haha). I WILL not be denied my chocolate when AF invades town ;)
  • Devyns_mom
    Devyns_mom Posts: 22
    Options
    ya i usually only weigh myself on mondays but sometimes i cheat and weigh myself during the week.. I havent done anything diff or ate over my calories but the scale said I was 1.5lbs more.. it was a little frustrating but im glad im not crazy!! lol