Young mom stuck as a flump

Options
I'm 19 and have a gorgeous 1 year old son. Unfortunately after having him and having had a difficult pregnancy and labour excercising properly and eating regularly was very hard for me.
I've suffered with an eating disorder for years and so not eating enough calories has led to my body storing the fat. Eeep!

I've had enough and it's really effected me. Not only have I had to have a cholestrol test already but it's led to self harming. Something I'm not proud of. I run around with my son a little but not as much as I like because I just can't keep it up for long! I feel like a 60 year old mother! Hell, my 74 year old grandmother can chase him around better than I can.

I've looked through old photos and realised that the biggest I've been until I fell pregnant was a size 10!! I'm now a 16. I'm aiming for being a size 12. But to be honest my main target is to be healthy. And to do that I have 70lb to lose!

My GP has advised slimfast because it will keep my calorie intake at a normal level so I'm not having too much or too little as usual and because it's quick and easy so I can be lazy if I fancy it lol.
I'm doing 30 day shred and Zumba - or rather trying to. The easy level of Zumba on the wii is ridiculous!! Thought they'd do easier moves. I expected it to be tiring but seem to spend half of it going am I a belly dancer? Am I doing the funky chicken? Or am I just dancing in a circle while wiggling my bum like my son does? Lmao. Certainly keeps us all laughing which I'm sure is good not just in terms of being happy but because being happy makes it easier to lose weight!!

I'm very proud of myself today because although my slimfast stuff has not arrived yet I have kept my calorie intake at a decent level and already done more excercise than my daily target just running around after little man!

I've burnt 8 calories more today than my target calorie loss per day :D
I'm not expecting miracles but the hope is to be able to wear something nice at new year this year seems as last year I was in my pjs and poorly and the year before I was heavily pregnant! So it has officially been 3 years since I last looked nice at new year haha.

Replies

• sandy0723
    sandy0723 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard! I understand your challenges and concerns. You're obviously a whole lot younger than I am (30). I have a little girl and another one on the way. I too am worried about being active with them. So if you ever need some motivation or help let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Thanks,
  • HideNGeek
    HideNGeek Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    As a dad to 2 young kids I know how tiring it can be running about after them, even more so if you're not in great shape (one of my main motivations for joining MFP is so I can play with my kids without getting shattered.)

Self harming is something I have also experienced, not something i'm proud of but i'm proud of how I used it to become a stronger person.

You have a child, so you can never truly have a "lazy" day, as you're always doing something. Try and do a little more something and you're set. Make sure you drink plenty of water, keep your portion size under control, more protein, less carbs, so many ways to do it.

Feel free to add me if you like :)
  • youngmommab
    Options
    Wow. Thanks for such a fast welcome!
    I did try to lose weight a while back and was on another website but found they all had their groups and didn't ever speak to me yet my introduction was very similar to this one :S they also slated me for being such a young mother which obviously made me lose interest.

I've heard nothing but good things about this site and am already glad I joined. Thank you for such a warm welcome!

The biggest thing I'd reccommend is the park. Make some nice healthy snacks and take kiddies to the park with a friend. Obviously with newborn it will be difficult but I've found I lost 5lb in one week having done no excerice all week (we were both poorly) and eating crap all because at the start of the week we took ONE trip to the park and ran around a bunch! We were only there for 2 hours but with the running around, lifting him, seesawing and pushing him on the swing it all added up!

Thank you again for such a warm welcome and any tips and tricks you have to stay motivated would be much appreciated. My current motivation (other than my son) is a dress that I bought a while back. It's a size 16 but quite small so more of a 12/14 and I cannot do it up more than halfway. I have it hung beside my mirror and am really hoping to wear it for Christmas this year :D do you do anything like this? x
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    I'm doing 30 day shred and Zumba - or rather trying to. The easy level of Zumba on the wii is ridiculous!! Thought they'd do easier moves. I expected it to be tiring but seem to spend half of it going am I a belly dancer? Am I doing the funky chicken? Or am I just dancing in a circle while wiggling my bum like my son does? Lmao. Certainly keeps us all laughing which I'm sure is good not just in terms of being happy but because being happy makes it easier to lose weight!!

This is exactly how I feel when trying to do Zumba or Pilates or whatever ....... actually "funky chicken" is a great description ROFL ..... and what I've found is that it doesn't matter, as long a we keep doing something ...... that's the secret !

Sounds like you've got a great family to be healthy for ...... one meal at a time, one day at a time ...... happy losing !
  • HideNGeek
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with being a young mum, the only thing that matters is to be a good mum. Anyone who says otherwise is an idiot.

Whilst I don't have a dress hanging up to keep me motivated (it'd be all wrong for my figure ha ha ha), I do have a very nice pair of jeans and some t-shirts that my better half bought me, they are too small at the moment, but I am determined to get into them :)
  • youngmommab
    Options
    Oh yes I can haha. My son loves a good PJ day :D
    Doesn't happen very often, maybe once a month? But that suits me perfectly because I love running around after him. But by lazy day I more meant those days when you sit on the floor to play or splash in the paddling pool, as opposed (if that's spelt correctly) to running around the park together.

I've sent you a friend request.

Yes I know exactly what you mean. I'm not proud of my scars but I'm not totally ashamed of them either because they have indeed made me much stronger x
  • youngmommab
    Options

This is exactly how I feel when trying to do Zumba or Pilates or whatever ....... actually "funky chicken" is a great description ROFL ..... and what I've found is that it doesn't matter, as long a we keep doing something ...... that's the secret !

Sounds like you've got a great family to be healthy for ...... one meal at a time, one day at a time ...... happy losing !

I feel like it is the perfect description lol. One move in particular that I got stuck with the other night was like the 80's/90's fishy move (where you hold your nose and wiggle down) followed by doing funky chicken arms and spinning in circles. I couldn't help but expect to find out Zumba was filming it and putting it on youtube haha.
    I mean yoga can be pretty ridiculous, like when you do the giraffe! But nothing compared Zumba!

Yeah my family are amazing and really have given me great motivation. I think that's making it easier on me as I spend 4 days a week with my family and knowing their meals are all suitable for my weightloss is helpful. And knowing that my mum doesn't judge me for being on slimfast as I know some peoples mothers do. Or maybe judge is the wrong word, but where they feel it's the lazy option and an easy option when really it's not lol x
  • youngmommab
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with being a young mum, the only thing that matters is to be a good mum. Anyone who says otherwise is an idiot.

Whilst I don't have a dress hanging up to keep me motivated (it'd be all wrong for my figure ha ha ha), I do have a very nice pair of jeans and some t-shirts that my better half bought me, they are too small at the moment, but I am determined to get into them :)
    Are you sure? I think you'd like perfect in a sequined halterneck dress. Not sure you could pull off a boobtube one though hehe.
    Well this site has already put a smile on my face so sod it, I think I shall rade the laptop for one of the pictures I have of myself (in amongst the thousands of my son haha) and upload a picture so you can all see who you are talking to haha x
  • HideNGeek
    Options

Are you sure? I think you'd like perfect in a sequined halterneck dress. Not sure you could pull off a boobtube one though hehe.
    Well this site has already put a smile on my face so sod it, I think I shall rade the laptop for one of the pictures I have of myself (in amongst the thousands of my son haha) and upload a picture so you can all see who you are talking to haha x

Cool.
    And Halterneck, too restrictive, i'd prefer something floaty lol.
  • youngmommab
    Options

Cool.
    And Halterneck, too restrictive, i'd prefer something floaty lol.

Hmm about a nice chiffon dress with an empire waist? x
  • HideNGeek
    Options
    You lost me lol.
  • youngmommab
    Options
    Chiffon is a floaty fabric. An empire line is very lose from your ribs down so that it has a very floaty effect and is very flattering for those that aren't skinny :) x
  • youngmommab
    Options
    Well I'm very proud of myself for today. Did loads of walking and pushing the heavy pushchair which certainly helped my exercise for the day as I couldn't work out properly due to being out all afternoon!!

I also resisted temptation from the many cupcakes and burgers and just reminded myself dinner was at home. I have to be honest, I did have a couple of cupcakes after my dinner. But I earned those!

I also got loads of compliments today on having lost weight which has really helped me push myself to continue. My mother reminded me my last weigh in was 2 weeks ago (220lb) which I thought was only a few days ago, hence logging it as my start weight. But regardless, I've lost 18lb in 2 weeks :D incredibly proud considering wasn't even dieting in that time. Just trying to keep calorie intake and exercise stable :D
    Think I'll be on the exercise bike a lot when I get home and keep a log of what I eat and exercise I do between Thursday and Monday when I'll be able to access internet again!! That way I can still keep this up to date :D

Hope you lot are doing well with your weight loss!! Would be nice to hear from you again :) x