~*~ Budget Friendly ~*~

Options
Does anyone else spend about $200 a month on groceries, for two people?

I'd like to get some meal ideas that aren't super processed. What kind of food do you buy? Where do you shop the most?

Replies

• robinmltn
    robinmltn Posts: 11
    Options
    I probably spend a little more than $200 a month for two people, but I KNOW I need to bring that down. I tend to make a lot of grocery store trips, but this doesn't bother me because I really love the grocery store, haha. Anyway, I do try to watch what I spend, and these are some of the things I do:
    -go to a few different grocery stores. If you have the time, this is great to help you figure out which stores have the best deals on things like fresh produce and meats.
    -don't worry about trying to buy everything organic. I try to follow the "Dirty Dozen" food list & buy those fruits and veggies organically. Things like citrus I buy conventionally. This helps me save a couple of bucks.
    -If you see something like bags of overripe bananas, SNAG THEM. I take these home and throw them in the freezer right away and use them for smoothies. I have also heard of a banana "Ice cream" recipe that is basically frozen banana made smooth in the blender.
    -I don't worry about buying meats the same day as my "big" grocery day. The reason for this is because I don't plan my meals very well, and I will buy meats & seafoods the day I plan on cooking them. This also helps me see which proteins are on special, and I can plan a recipe around that.
    -BULK BINS! If your store has bulk bins use them! You can get so much stuff a lot cheaper because you're not paying for packaging!

I used to shop at Harris Teeter most of the time, but we just got a Whole Foods where I live and I am obsessed! Supposedly we'll be getting a Trader Joe's sometime within the next year or two and then I will be SET FOR LIFE, haha. I love grocery stores.

I hope this helped a little bit?
  • xHelloQuincyx
    xHelloQuincyx Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    i grew up eating rice and beans like every nightttt ughhh.
    now i live with my boyfriend and im in college. money is so tight that we only spend 150 a MONTH on food for the both of us. mind you i live in a large city where the cost of living is high (my studio apartment is 709 dollars a month to rent w/o utilities) right now i only have a glass of milk in my fridge, but thats beside the point haha.

i have shopped at aldis on the same budget, it does NOT go as far as woodmans. though most of you probably have no idea what that is. woodmans has almost all of the things (minus meat and fruit) for around a dollar.

we normally dont eat meat, which saves us a lot of money
    but i buy eggs.
    rice (brown)
    a few boxes of pasta (wheat if you want)
    canned sauce (or tomatos if you are crafty and have time)
    frozen chicken (whole then wash and cut up)
    ground turkey
    canned tuna in water
    wheat bread (lots, like a loave a week)
    nutella
    pb
    bananas
    cutie oranges
    two bags of apples
    biggg huge jar of applesauce (motts, and only a dollar for 20 servings)
    frozen veggies (they are only 80 cents a bag!)
    string cheese (something i cant resist)
    nutri grain bars
    block cheese (two types)
    milk, lots of milk.
    archer farms items are my fav. at 2$ a box i can afford organic fruit leather. love ittt (from target)
    big tub of oatmeal (not instant)
    i make a lot of my own soups too.
    frozen juice (100%) concentrate

yepp. thats what i live off. its not glamourous, but i dont mind :]
  • ♥Amy♥
    ♥Amy♥ Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I roughly spend $200-$300 per month for my family of 4.

I buy based on what's on sale and stockpile what I know that we use when it's a really good price. I also price match multiple grocery store ads at Wal-Mart since I can make one stop, but still get all the savings of the different stores. You can look up the ads online and know what some good prices are (check Mexican grocery stores for cheap meat and produce prices).

Once you have your groceries, set a menu for the week (or for how long you have food for) and cook based on what you have. That way you won't be buying more ingredients and such until you go back to the store (and it's hopefully on sale!).

Also, cook larger batches of food and freeze for lunches (that's what my DH takes for lunch to work everyday) or for future dinners. Also, you can always do a night or two of all the various leftovers (that aren't enough for a full meal, but that way you aren't wasting it and throwing it out).

Hope these help a bit!
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    If you want to cut down on your budget, buy more legumes and whole grains. Eating complementary amino acids on the same day will give you complete proteins, so you don't need to buy as much meat. I also find that I spend less on fruits and vegetables if I only buy them when they are in season (for example, cherries drop in price from $8 a lb at the start of the season to $5 a lb in the middle). And, if you're buying anything organic, it's only really worth it for foods with edible peels and long growing seasons, like apples.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    We spend a lot here in Boston.

We only eat lean red meat, fish, chicken and occasionally turkey. The average price for 2/4 oz servings is $1.50-$3.00.

Fresh vegetables and the cheaper ones are peppers, onions, green beans, baby spinach, summer squash and carrots. We splurge on asparagus, Brussels's sprouts, artichokes, tomatoes and the like.

Fresh fruit is more expensive, and we limit that to pretty much bananas and apples.

We eat eggs, 0% Greek yogurt, 2% milk and occasionally low sodium cottage cheese.

If you don't eat a lot, you can keep the costs down. I like Whole Foods, Trader Joe's and Stop and Shop. You just have to be careful what you buy where, and look for some sales.

Our average for 3 adult and 1 child is $650-$700US.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    bumping :happy:
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    Bump could use some ideas!
  • neurogirl
    neurogirl Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I'm finishing my post-doc so I don't make much money. I shop and cook for two on a budget, usually around $200 a month. I tend to do a few things that others might not find helpful, but here goes:

1. I coupon! I know a lot of foods on coupons are processed and some people are avoiding these things, but there are great coupons for healthy foods like frozen vegetables, canned vegetables, Soy milk (if you're into that, I've never bought it), milk, eggs, etc. so it't not all processed.

2. I shop and compare prices. I get all of the circulars in the mail on Tuesdays (for me it's Sunflower, Smith's, and Albertsons), look at what I want, circle or list items and what store to get them at. Then I do one big trip and stop at all three places.

3. If you have access to a farmer's market, then great! Food is much cheaper there, and usualy local. Great resource for fresh fruits and vegetables.

4. Alternatives are stores that are "speacialty" that carry organic or locally grown products. We have a store here called Sunflower and although there is Whole Foods, it's much too pricey for many of the same things. Sunflower has the same foods but much cheaper and I can buy items in bulk bins as well so it costs less. Bulk is also great in case you only needa little of something to try out and see if you like a new healthy recipe instead of buying large quantities of something you may never use again.

5. I DO buy meat in bulk, usually at Albertsons when it's buy 1 get 2 free on steak and boneless/skinless chicken breast. It's a lot more budget friendly and since I can freeze it, then that means less running around and I always have food to cook at home instead of going to the Chinese restaurant that's only a 4 minute walk from here.

6. Check the price tags for cost per unit. Sometimes buying bigger or item sizes that are on sale are NOT competitively priced. If you can't find the cost per unit (i.e., 17 cents per ounce) then calculate it on your phone by dividing the price in pennies by ounce or number of pacakges to figure out the best deal.

7. I have no issue with store brands and actually many are healthier than the Brand name comparable item.

8. When I do go out, I do have coupons (Like I said, LOVE THEM). Also, Restaurant.com gift certificates are great for local restaurants at a discount. Some cities have great restaurants wth very healthy menues and it's a great way to get out once in a while.

Hope that helps and feel free to ask questions.
  • KarmaxKitty
    KarmaxKitty Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I need to come back to this.

Someone once told me to buy AND cook in bulk, then find a good way to preserve the rest of the food you don't eat. That way you have a set amount you don't have to worry about.

Another thing I learned was to make a menu first, then plan your groceries around that. Buy cheap where you can, and if you have to have quality, think about those things last as they're likely to be more expensive.
  • crudd123
    crudd123 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Do you have an Aldi grocery store in your area? They have great prices on just about everything you need! They have low calorie brand also called Fit and Active! Good luck to you!
  • iiiEllie
    iiiEllie Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I spend about 400 a month for two people. Food is outrageous here. A package of boneless skinless chicken breasts that may have 4 breasts are 27-34$ when not on sale. Fresh fruit is overpriced as heck too. 5$ for a pound of strawberries.

My boyfriend is type 1 diabetic and skinny as a rake, if he doesn't eat almost constantly he doesn't keep his body weight at all. So making sure there's leftovers, and quick healthy snacks all the time costs a ton.
  • gurganuss
    gurganuss Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I spend $500 per month for 3 people. Yes the healthy food costs more money!
  • jching29
    jching29 Posts: 163
    Options
    Honestly, my girlfriend and I only spend about $170 a month on groceries. We'd only spend about $130, but we buy our meat in bulk and I freeze it individually so I can pull it out two servings at a time. Our roommate also eats our food on occasion, so I guess you could say we spend that on two and a half people.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I wanna know your guy's's secrets. We spend $200/week on groceries for me, hubs, and the 4yo. We don't buy a lot of processed foods, and we don't buy expensive organic. You guys are amazing (and slightly insane) when you say "I spend $200/mo on groceries, but I need to bring that down"
    Super Grover says "HUBBA WHA--?!" HOW?!
  • klc519
    klc519 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    $200/month for two is CHEAP!! I'm jealous! Ever since starting to eat healthy we spend $100 a week for 2!! Produce and greek yogurt kill me! $$$!!! But cheaper than having a lot of health problems down the line :)
  • AshCakes88
    AshCakes88 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I spend about that amount...

Usually what I buy is on the perimeter of the store
    Fruits, veggies, fresh salmon, thin sliced chicken breasts, pasta...things like that.
  • brwneyedirish813
    brwneyedirish813 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I have a family of 3 and since eatting healthier things last a little longer. My husband doesn't eat healthy so he gets him a lot of quick and easy but fattening meals haha!- we spend about 400 a month for me, him and my 3 year old. I try to get a lot of my fruits from produce stands a lot cheaper, and i stick to chicken, tuna, ground turkey for meat.. i can always put something to gether with veggies and meat.. and for breakfast i do fruits yogurts, granola bars, cereals, eggs.
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I need some of you to start doing my shopping! My partner and I spend around $250 a week on groceries for the 2 of us and our dogs. That also includes all our household cleaning supplies, paper items and such. I dont have the time to hop shop from store to store so I just get everthing in one big trip each week.
  • SusanLovesToEat
    SusanLovesToEat Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    i grew up eating rice and beans like every nightttt ughhh.
    now i live with my boyfriend and im in college. money is so tight that we only spend 150 a MONTH on food for the both of us. mind you i live in a large city where the cost of living is high (my studio apartment is 709 dollars a month to rent w/o utilities) right now i only have a glass of milk in my fridge, but thats beside the point haha.

i have shopped at aldis on the same budget, it does NOT go as far as woodmans. though most of you probably have no idea what that is. woodmans has almost all of the things (minus meat and fruit) for around a dollar.

we normally dont eat meat, which saves us a lot of money
    but i buy eggs.
    rice (brown)
    a few boxes of pasta (wheat if you want)
    canned sauce (or tomatos if you are crafty and have time)
    frozen chicken (whole then wash and cut up)
    ground turkey
    canned tuna in water
    wheat bread (lots, like a loave a week)
    nutella
    pb
    bananas
    cutie oranges
    two bags of apples
    biggg huge jar of applesauce (motts, and only a dollar for 20 servings)
    frozen veggies (they are only 80 cents a bag!)
    string cheese (something i cant resist)
    nutri grain bars
    block cheese (two types)
    milk, lots of milk.
    archer farms items are my fav. at 2$ a box i can afford organic fruit leather. love ittt (from target)
    big tub of oatmeal (not instant)
    i make a lot of my own soups too.
    frozen juice (100%) concentrate

yepp. thats what i live off. its not glamourous, but i dont mind :]

Great list! Thanks for taking the time to make it!
  • Beleren
    Beleren Posts: 142
    Options
    Thanks for all of the great replies!!

I budgeted out meals for the whole month and ended up even with my goal. :)