I need motivation, and maybe a friend.

Options
I really need help getting motivated, what do you do?

Replies

• Runner50266
    Options
    I do what it takes even when I am not motivated. Unfortunately motivation is always fleeting--it comes and goes. If you want it bad enough you can persevere even when you aren't motivated.
  • lussya
    lussya Posts: 19
    Options
    I make some plans, set new goals and think about reasons why I want this. And talking with someone who have the same interests also helps. If you need support,feel free to add me :)
  • halloweeny_bride27
    halloweeny_bride27 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    i'll be your friend! as for motivation i find the more you do the easier it is. I struggle too though and seeing my friends posts every day helps me on the long long road i am just barely starting out on. you can do it!
  • Thena81
    Thena81 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    look in the mirror! read others posts and see their results, thinking of how i will look at the beach... that usually does it!! good luck sweets and add me if u like, im always here!! :D
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I want to be fit and healthy more than anything in the world. I think that's where my motivation comes from. One of the neat things about eating healthier and exercising, even just a little, is that it becomes its own reward. You feel so much better because of the great choices you made. If you can just jump in and give it time to work the changes you'll feel will make you want to keep going. Having friends on MFP and seeing their accomplishments and progress each day has been priceless. Please add me if you'd like! I wish you the best on your journey!
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    With the food....I got the "junk" out of the house and went shopping for "good" foods. Got on-line and searched for healthy recipes. Plus magazines...RedBook has a lot of them. Learned how to cook tasty foods using less fats.

Joined a health club and yes, had to force myself at first to go, but did it every day.

When the weight started dropping it motivated me to keep going.
  • aa1440
    aa1440 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I do what it takes even when I am not motivated. Unfortunately motivation is always fleeting--it comes and goes. If you want it bad enough you can persevere even when you aren't motivated.

This is so true!
  • xqueenbee24x
    xqueenbee24x Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me if you would like. :) I am just starting out on my journey & have a long way to go.

I have found motivation in places that I didn't even know about until recently! MFP has a great group of people who are extremely supportive and can help motivate and inspire but on top of others motivation I found that I needed to make sure that I was taking their positive feedback and motivating myself along with them. I started doing the Insanity program three weeks ago, I am proud to say that I have not missed a day yet. The main reason for not missing a day is that this is my FOURTH time trying to complete the program, so the consistency and accountability of completing a specific workout every day helps A LOT!

I have plenty of other little tips and tricks that may or may not help you but if you would like just let me know and I can share them with you!!!!
  • Jb8885
    Jb8885 Posts: 126
    Options
    By keeping very small attainable goals. sometimes just taking a walk makes me feel better and makes me want to do something more the next day. By staying under my cals each day and working out 4 days a week i have noticed a loss in weight the past few months and my mentality. Good luck! feel free to add me for more support too!
  • itgeekwoman
    itgeekwoman Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Motivation isn't something that someone else can provide for you. You can be inspired, but you need to be motivated to do something. That's the difficult part about all of this. Getting up and doing!

I can be a friend, but you need to be true to yourself and determine what your goals and and go for it. Empower yourself.
  • sassysummer
    Options
    I just started too, and I know that the more "friends" on MFP and support that you have, the better. Feel free to add me as well. :flowerforyou:
  • Cambrendle
    Cambrendle Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I can't afford the gym, badly as I wanted to. I know for me cardio does not show me the results I want to see, especially in a timely manner, so building muscle works best for me. I don't stress the cardio - it makes me miserable to do it in the 100 deg plus weather, so I'd rather do short bursts of cardio at 1 min each mixed in with circuit training. I have 5 different circuits, each with 2 strength exercises and one 1 min cardio - i.e. jump rope or just jogging in place with high knees and kicking back trying to reach the butt. Each exercise is done 3 times 15 reps, so its a total of 15 exercises x3. It sounds like it is long, but it flies by really fast!

Also, the biggest thing for me was discovering that my food choices were not as clean or healthy as I thought they were. The high sodium content on most of the food I was eating got me into trouble with over 5000 mg of sod intake a day... and I started retaining water, big time. I've been paying attention for 2 weeks to the food choices and my sodium intake, and only 1 week of circuit training so far. But since I'm seeing some kind of result that keeps me on track. Plus, even if the weight doesn't look any different, I'm already feeling more ... for lack of a better phrase... range of motion ... I'm more limber, and I FEEL different.
  • wingednotes
    wingednotes Posts: 279
    Options
    Start seeing everything you do as something to better yourself. If you are going out with friends, you are making yourself socially healthy. If you are cleaning your house, you are making a beautiful environment for yourself. If you are cooking, you are making fuel to energize your body. If you are doing yardwork, you are exercising. When you start seeing everything you already do as something to improve your health, you might be motivated to keep treating your body right.
  • rocker164
    rocker164 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    One of the things I've done to help with motivation is list all the reasons why I want to get fit. Some are vain (like I just want to look better without a shirt on) and some are pretty important (like I don't want to have a heart-attack before I'm 50, or at all). I read over the list periodically, but especially when I feel my motivation slipping. It helps to at least remind me why I'm up at 5AM pushing weight around.
  • mboktay
    mboktay Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    As someone said, motivation does come and go, the friends on MFP help me stay positive and the fact that every little success is just 1 step closer to your goals. Focus on NSV (non-scale victories). For example, your clothes fit a little looser, you didn't eat the donut at the office. I'll go add you now.
  • melissalaning77
    Options
    For motivation I look at myself, deeply, in the mirror, and talk to myself, and ask myself, is this me? Who am I? Am I happy? Do I want to be healthier? Not for anyone else, just for myself. That's my motivation. Health. Long life. ENERGY!!!

7757099.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • davidduggin
    davidduggin Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I think of my health and the years the weight loss will add to my life.
  • nannabannana
    nannabannana Posts: 787
    Options
    I will be happy to be your friend and give you hope and encouragement. If we all can do it you can too. Let friends support you and you will succeed..Perseverance is what the key is. :)
  • Meadows18
    Meadows18 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I'll be your friend. The more friends that you have, the more motivation you receive and the better you start feeling good about yourself.
  • relly1008
    relly1008 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I llike to go to the Success Stories, and see the before and after pictures and that keep me motivated, if they can do it i will too, add me as a friend if you want to.